98 r50 p1444

Muddyr50

Hey guys how's it going. So I have a 98 pathfinder that through a p1444 code. I trying to determine exactly what is wrong but I'm not 100% what I should be checking. I'm new to the import world so I don't have access to info to help me determine the problem.

Thanks everyone.

Check the hoses around the charcoal canister in the rear driver's side of the vehicle, some might be clogged.

When you refuel, never "top off" or overfill the gas tank, always stop at the first click. Overfilling will cause excess fuel to enter the charcoal canister and will irreparably damage it over time.

I have had the p1444 in the past. I believe that that code deals specifically with the EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Vavle. If your engine bay looks like this than I can help:

Evap_Valve.png

If I remember correctly than the EVAP system changed significantly half way through 98 so some 98's have the system in the picture and others have an older system. If you have the system in the picture than your problem is with the valve that I circled. Possibly a bad wiring connection or the valve itself is bad due to wear or a bad charcoal canister.

To check for bad charcoal canister:

You can disconnect the hoses that I traced in red in the picture and check them to see if they are clogged with pieces of charcoal. In my case, the hose closest to the valve was full of charcoal. I actually had the P1440 code first and when that cleared was left with the P1444 code but it is possible you have this problem. If there is charcoal in the lines than that means the charcoal in your canister has broken up and should be replaced. This is an easy replacement. However, when you replace the canister you should also blow out all the evap lines. There is a hardline that runs from the engine bay all the way to the back drivers side corner of the vehicle where it connects to the canister. This line should be blown out with compressed air (I used a shop vac and some duct tape to suck the charcoal out). The small rubber hoses connecting the various parts of the EVAP system should also be blown out (the hoses I traced in red and some similar hoses that connect to the EVAP canister). In my case the charcoal had clogged the Purge Volume Control Valve causing the P1444 code. I replaced it with the same valve from a 98 altima and the code cleared out. Here is a post that might help: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33018-p1440-evap-small-leak/. It took me a while to figure out which valve the P1444 was referring to.

If you don't see charcoal in the lines than try checking the wiring to the valve. If you leave the hood open and turn the ignition to on (don't turn the engine on) you should be able to hear the valve click if it is working correctly. I had someone else turn the key while I listened to the valve to hear it click.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1