Whats up WA USA?

wolkersdorfer2

Hello! My name is Josh, i got a 95 pathfinder XE auto for 1400 bucks so i thought i'd join somewhere where i can get info and study up on. as I only paid 14 for it, i still have bunches of money left over to do some modifying. now, i am a pizza delivery driver and full time student so i do not want to do anything that will a) terribly make it unreliable B) make it get terrible gas millage, what i do want is a) to be able to go virtually anywhere if needed (reasonably) and B) be super usable (like roof racks, lights etc) and looking aggressive is always a plus right? before i wanted to go into buying stuff i wanted to get input on where you guys normally go to get aftermarket support for these rigs, i am a street tuner so i am fairly foreign to offroading.

these are some things im looking for,

-small lift (3"max)

-bull/winch/brush bar

-good big sturdy roof rack, capable of mounting lights front and back

-tires, what size would be good? i have 215/75/15 on now.

-lights of course,

-sound system, what size speakers come stock? looks like 4x6 up front 6x9 in back? 1" tweeters in a/c pillars?

-because mine is an auto, how difficult/popular are 5 speed swops? i know in little tuner cars its more popular...

-anything you guys suggest is great!

so where can i look to get this stuff? thanks!

ps. i heard abr bull bars are discontinued and i cant find much else, what trucks are very compatible?

There isn't much of an aftermarket for the WD21 (87-95 Pathfinder), but there is a little bit.

if you can, find an ARB bumper, they come up for sale occasionally.

3" suspension lift (SL) and 3" body lift's (BL) are available. the suspension lift requires longer upper control arm bolts to be aligned properly.

31x10.50's would do you fine, and not hinder gas mileage all that much, I don't think a 215/75 is stock, look in the doorjamb and check, it's usually a 235/75, so the 215 could be hurting your gas mileage by making your revs higher at speed.

Welcome Josh!! Honestly, thats way too much to answer in one post and all of it has been extensively documented and discussed. Take some time to look around the forum and search a bit, you will find your answers. For example, you can find a vendor list pinned in the General section, Product Reviews will supply some info and Members Rides will give you an idea of what others have done.

tires, what size would be good? i have 215/75/15 on now.

Are you sure? IIRC that is the size of the undersized factory spare. Pathys came with 235/75/15(29") or 31x10.5". Depending on your gearing, for gas mileage you want to stick with lighter aluminum rims and no larger than 31" tires.

B

ah yes, pics!!

t9tFp.jpg

RquB9.jpg

cEuXO.jpg

thats all i got for yah right now, i am a photographer and cant wait to get out for a nice photoshoot and fun in some puddles!

Its kindof nice having a car i dont dread driving in the rain.

call me stupid, but can you explain what the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift? whats the pros/cons of both? all i know is a body lift is much less expensive... which is best?

Body lift is putting blocks in between the frame and chassis which doesn't change the suspension or ground clearance. It gives you more room to work on things and more clearance in the wheel wells for larger tires (which obviously give you more ground clearance).

B

Are you sure? IIRC that is the size of the undersized factory spare. Pathys came with 235/75/15(29") or 31x10.5". Depending on your gearing, for gas mileage you want to stick with lighter aluminum rims and no larger than 31" tires.

Sorry, i assumed it was a full size spare, that is where i got the number from...

What part of Washington you in?

Body lifts lift the body higher off the chassis. Only upside is it allows a larger tire. I think they look absolutely stupid. Suspension lifts change the geometry of the suspension to raise the frame off the ground and allow larger tires. But no matter what you do the rear pumpkin won't be any further off the ground than what you can raise the whole truck with larger tires.

B

Actually, this was posted recently....its a Canadian Pathy but....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/34383-A-Ring-&-Pinion-Question

His stock size is listed at 215/75/15.

Damn, thanks, I missed that and think it is the first time I have heard if it. I would expect it to be a stripped down 4cyl model with those tires, but then who knows what those silly Canadians will do... :lol:

I can say with confidence that 215 stock is is highly unusual!

B

Few hours from where I'm at.

I'd start with maintenance stuff before modifications. Do you know when the timing belt was done last? The 94/95 have different sprockets than the earlier trucks, so their belts last a lot longer, but they'll still strip out and butcher the valves if neglected. Also check for frame rot above the rear axle. If it's rotten, it's usually fixable, but it can be ugly.

As for the 5-speed swap, check out Harbinger's thread.

Funny, those stamped-steel wheels are the same spoke pattern as the factory alloys. :)

Edited by Slartibartfast

i thought my rig looked strangely like a rodeo, looks like im just missin the hub caps.

I'd start with maintenance stuff before modifications. Do you know when the timing belt was done last? The 94/95 have different sprockets than the earlier trucks, so their belts last a lot longer, but they'll still strip out and butcher the valves if neglected. Also check for frame rot above the rear axle. If it's rotten, it's usually fixable, but it can be ugly.

i took it over to my shop and let them give it a good once-over, they said its in surprisingly good condition for over 200k miles, just needs timing belt and tie rod ends and im solid! theres a couple tiny paint chip rust spots but none anywhere else. so i am pretty happy with it. I can do the tie rod ends myself and have it aligned however ive never done a timing belt, how much can i expect to pay for the shop to do that? im budgeting about 600 bucks...

so my father used to be a master mechanic for diesel trucks and said i actually had a timing "chain" instead of a belt, and so i do not need to get it done... i feel like a $600 prevention is better than a $2000 repair...

as for doing it myself i know if i tried it myself i would be out the car for a week, and losing ~$120 a night is worse than spending 600 for only 1 or 2 days loss...

NO, you do MOST certainly not have a timing chain. Its Rubber belt. Diesel trucks are way different, so yes,, they probably have a chain. AND yes you do need to get it done if you have no record of your belt being changed. Your '95 has a change interval of 105k. so it should be on second belt. but who knows. better to change it and have a piece of mind. I find it funny when people make assumtions. "this car has this, so this completly different engine/truck, should have the same thing" :lol:

Not sure where he got the chain information from, there are a few Nissan engines that do indeed use chains, but the VG is not one of them, it's a belt. Your 95 does have the round tooth gears so the change interval is 105,000 miles. My first pathfinder had approximately 185,000 miles when I did the belt on it, and from the condition, I'm betting it was the original belt. The change interval is low so that there is a very very slim chance that the belt will break within the time period, as a broken belt means a new engine essentially.

Do the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump while you're in there, and since taking out the radiator makes all that easier, be sure to put in an external oil cooler for the transmission, as the one inside the radiator is a weak point.

I own a Diesel Terrano, this is what he was talking, mine doesn't have a timing belt it's a chain (not timing chain). :happy:

This chain doesn't need to get changed with that milage interval or doesn't get changed at all, I know several Terrano's with over 500.000 kms on the clock that never changed the chain or did anything to the motor. It's supposed to last until 1.000.000 kms, this is what I heard from a Nissan but not sure if it's true or not.

2.7TDiesel Nissan Terrano rocks. B)

Just to add to all the others saying it... you've got a VG30 V6 engine, which has a rubber belt. Some older trucks and some of the pickups came with the inline-four KA24, which had a timing chain.

My dad told me not to worry about the whining sound mine made at 2-3k rpm, because they 'just did that.' Turned out it was the timing belt tensioner failing. Best to do your own research. ;)