RE4R01A transmission rebuild

Willfly4money

Hi, OP!

Can you share where you got your rebuild kit and the rest of the replacement parts you used? I looked in Amazon but can't find it. Someone local is selling a no-reverse tranny which I'm thinking of buying to rebuild. The one on my Pathy has the same no-reverse issue.

Thanks!

Sure thing!, search amazon for the: ATP NM-20 Automatic Transmission Master Repair Kit

It should be around $150. You will need to buy an internal filter from wherever you choose as well as a brake band, I would suggest rockauto on those two items. If you have a 4x4 MAKE SURE AND ORDER THE NM-20 kit as opposed to the NM-21 or NM-22 as these two are for other tranny codes (cars or 2-wheel drive).

The best you could hope for is that the friction plates on the reverse clutch is the only thing wrong, in that case the master repair kit will fix your problem. If it is a valve body issue (stuck shuttle valve or screwed springs) that isn't a real expensive problem either as the manual has the part numbers for the springs and if a valve is stuck you can just clean out the valve body and reassemble with new seals/gaskets. Just keep in mind, if the tranny is out of the truck and sitting in front of you, NO MATTER WHAT IS WRONG, I would strongly consider rebuilding it with this $150 kit while it is out. The reason I say this is that these trannys are not fun to take out and even if the only problem seems to be the valve body and associated shuttle valves and springs (or solenoids for that matter), you are MUCH better off pulling the guts out and freshening it up. If one set of clutches has "grenaded" that means the friction material has traveled through a good portion if not all of the tranny, so a complete tear down is in order IMHO. Again, while the tranny is out of the truck, it is astronomically easier to just follow the manual and quickly disassemble and rebuild so as to make it fresh. The caveat is that if any of the solenoids or the temp sensor or the temp switch are bad, that will increase the price significantly, but I will say that in my opinion, these electrical items have a low failure rate.

Here is my understanding of the extremes: As long as the tranny in question has not been heated to the point of actually warping the parts listed on page AT-201 of the manual, the rebuild is pretty straightforward and shouldn't require much more than what I stated above. If you have any questions along the way I would surely help as much as I can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up, the Terrano I just got for free has no drive what so ever so I'm guess I'm up for this job. The PO told me that a seal was replaced in the transmission 18 months ago and she was told at the time it probably wouldn't last long, guess they were right, before I got it, it was sitting for 6 months or so. Wish me luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon is telling me the NM-20 doesn't fit my Pathy (1991 4x4 SE). Am I looking at the correct part? Should I just ignore Amazon and chalk it up as them not knowing what the hell they are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-NM-20-Automatic-Transmission-Master/dp/B004QBZXOW/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Nissan%7C67&Model=Pathfinder%7C893&Year=1991%7C1991&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=6

Also where do I get the solenoids, temp sensor, and the temp switch? Mine was rebuild December of 2011 and it's shifting all wrong and slipping in all gears but not all the time. I suspect my issue is with the electronics in the trans. I bet they didn't replace any of that when they did the rebuild.

• 1 month later...

I have a RE4R01A from a 95 pickup that needs to be rebuilt. I believe that when it was last rebuilt that the temp sensor and switch were not replaced as it went out less than 3 months after having new solenoids installed. Let me know if you find the electrical parts. I found the solenoids from WIT in orlando florida. WIT (Whatever It Takes) really good source for trans parts and cases to.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon is telling me the NM-20 doesn't fit my Pathy (1991 4x4 SE). Am I looking at the correct part? Should I just ignore Amazon and chalk it up as them not knowing what the hell they are talking about?http://www.amazon.com/ATP-NM-20-Automatic-Transmission-Master/dp/B004QBZXOW/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Nissan|67&Model=Pathfinder|893&Year=1991|1991&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=6

Also where do I get the solenoids, temp sensor, and the temp switch? Mine was rebuild December of 2011 and it's shifting all wrong and slipping in all gears but not all the time. I suspect my issue is with the electronics in the trans. I bet they didn't replace any of that when they did the rebuild.

Hello, sorry to get back so late! I've been out of the country for three months. Yes the NM-20 is what you want. Wait until you test the solenoids and temp sensors as per the book before you buy them. They aren't cheap and they may be just fine. Go by the book and perform all the troubleshooting and testing matrices before and after the rebuild, it will help you to understand what exactly is wrong. Our trucks have a built in test system for the tranny, the procedure is there in the book and you can find out if an electronic problem exists or not.

• Like 1

I have a RE4R01A from a 95 pickup that needs to be rebuilt. I believe that when it was last rebuilt that the temp sensor and switch were not replaced as it went out less than 3 months after having new solenoids installed. Let me know if you find the electrical parts. I found the solenoids from WIT in orlando florida. WIT (Whatever It Takes) really good source for trans parts and cases to.

See post above, make sure to test the electrical components to make sure that is your problem before you do anything.

Hello, sorry to get back so late! I've been out of the country for three months. Yes the NM-20 is what you want. Wait until you test the solenoids and temp sensors as per the book before you buy them. They aren't cheap and they may be just fine. Go by the book and perform all the troubleshooting and testing matrices before and after the rebuild, it will help you to understand what exactly is wrong. Our trucks have a built in test system for the tranny, the procedure is there in the book and you can find out if an electronic problem exists or not.

Where do I get this book?

Just do a google search for wd21 FSM it's been so long I don't remember exactly have me the link. Once you have it, become very familiar with it and life will be easier with your pathy! Rebuilding the transmission was fun and I'm thinking about doing it on the side when I'm not flying, too bad you don't live nearby.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading through this thread. In fact I joined this forum solely because of this thread (RE4R01A Transmission rebuild) as my 1995 Infiniti J30 has a similar transmission, and it needs rebuilt. Reverse is all but gone. All forward gears operate so far. Just got the car this month as emergency transportation after our Ford Ranger blew a head gasket. Also had to replace a harmonic balancer on this already as it was shooting off fireworks by grinding on the alternator bracket and chewing up the timing belt cover. ( I really want a horse and buggy by now!)

Serious question as I have a little knowledge but not enough at times...Does the torque converter NEED replacing when I rebuild the transmission? (Will be my first real rebuild.) I noticed the OP here did replace his torque converter.

I found the Amazon rebuild kit mentioned earlier in the thread, and that's 50% off what AutoZ wants to charge for a basic kit.

I belong to another forum that discusses the Infiniti J30 in particular, but there are no threads on an actual transmission rebuild there....

T

Edited by Thrundar

Honestly I think it is just good practice to replace it, but if nothings wrong with it I don't see why you couldn't re use it. I would flush it out well though.

I agree, it probably would be good to replace, but the ol bank is about dry. I plan on doing a flush after the rebuild and reinstall, so I should be covered there. It's nigh on 30 years since I wrestled with a transmission. But even with my limited skills, I trust myself better than most garages.

So you're a pilot and fly RC's as well? I did too, way back when.....good times.

Man that's just awesome...if I were able to rebuild my auto it would just go to my head. My family would never hear the end of it: " *! I know how to rebuild a transMISSION! Yes! My kung-fu is STRONG!!!" I'd quit my day job and open my own tranny shop and rake in the dough. Hell I know how to build computers but no one gives a crap about that now.

Hey Flyformoney you fly outta Ellington? I live near there, few miles away in Webster. See you guys go over all the time in the little trainer jets. Used to be in the Gaurd unit over there.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back on this thread. Got the RE4R01A transmission out of the J30, however I can not get the pump out of the front of the transmission. The manual calls for using a slide hammer, but no auto parts stores sell a slide hammer that will work on this.

How did OP get his pump out?

Help

Finally got the pump out of my transmission after viewing this video which helped. It might help others.

Here is one image of my reverse drum showing wear in the area that slides over the pump. I think the material in there was brass. The steel on the pump shows no damage. I suspect this is where the failure of no reverse is coming from.

3203611_orig.jpg

Also, all friction plates look very good with lots of material remaining, however I will replace them all since the transmission is apart now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the pump out of my transmission after viewing this video which helped. It might help others.

Here is one image of my reverse drum showing wear in the area that slides over the pump. I think the material in there was brass. The steel on the pump shows no damage. I suspect this is where the failure of no reverse is coming from.

3203611_orig.jpg

Also, all friction plates look very good with lots of material remaining, however I will replace them all since the transmission is apart now.

I can't quite see the pic that well but if the bore of the drum is damaged, you need more than just a master rebuild kit I believe. If your reverse clutch plates are intact then you have another problem as to why reverse isn't working. Did you follow all troubleshooting as per the FSM before removal of tranny including the ECU check with the light in the power/Econ switch on the dash? Also perform all the solenoid resistance checks as per FSM. The bore in that drum has channels that port pressure to the reverse clutch to engage it, if it is blowing by then it will not work, keep in mind that the drum you are referring to has more than just the reverse clutch in it. If ALL clutch packs are good then you must look elsewhere; valve body, solenoids, bore clearances etc. good luck and have fun!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

willflyformoney...will u marry me??? Oh ...and can someone please link me to a 94 pathfinder AT solenoid(s) etc location diagram ?? I have no 3rd gear... or OD. also u say <dont use 3rd gear> ....does that just mean: stay off the highway? ? ? thanks to whoever picks this thread up to answer! -gigi

Pardon...Willfly4money (typo)

Edited by mechanicalgirl