2x February '14 TOTM winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 PM
  • Model:SE
  • Year:1995

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Generally when these transmissions "fail" they lose reverse. I believe 3rd is next to go.

#42 OFFLINE   ahardb0dy

ahardb0dy

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Not sure on the OD trannys but on the earlier non OD ones when my trans went the first time in my old hardbody, I don't remember if I lost first or reverse but the guy at the tranny shop told me first and reverse are on the same clutch pack and when one goes the other is not far behind. No idea if that is true or not just what I was told way back.

#43 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Makes sense that one gear would quickly follow another, if they share a clutch pack. The clutch gets buggered until it can't hold on at the higher ratio, it slips, then the slipping wears it until it won't hold the lower ratio either.

I like the model airplane temp gauge. :D +1 for creative use of parts.

#44 ONLINE   Precise1

Precise1

Nothing to get excited about.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,192 posts
  • Model:XE

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Anyway, I think third gear seems to be a weak point in our RE4R01A trannys in these year models. What say you?

Try not to use 3rd...

Oddly enough, plenty of people drive 150-200k+ with these trannys without issue, then others fail pre-100k. It doesn't seem to be a particular year/model issue, so maybe it is a fluid/maintenance/driving style issue. :shrug:

B

#45 OFFLINE   keepwalkn

keepwalkn

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model:Terrano R3m
  • Year:1992

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

or the tps switch on the injector pump is too slack and causes early shifts and lots of load/slipping and then HEAT

Edited by keepwalkn, 02 December 2012 - 01:32 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   Willfly4money

Willfly4money

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 PM
  • Year:1994

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

The reverse clutch and the high clutch are in their own clutch pack so I can see how loosing one would contaminate the other. I'll try to go easy on third.

#47 OFFLINE   ahardb0dy

ahardb0dy

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,608 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

the trans in my 87 hardbody, non OD, made it to 130K miles before it's first rebuild. The tranny shop guy said it didn't owe me a thing as he had seen a lot of them needing to be rebuilt with a lot less miles on them than mine. At first rebuild they added a tranny cooler. Trans ended up being rebuilt 2 more times before I got rid of the truck.

#48 ONLINE   adamzan

adamzan

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm glad you asked this question! It does shift stock with a hard 1 to 2 and a soft 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 is what I would call normal.
Regarding the 2 to 3, I think third gear is kinda funny on these trannys, from what I gather, third gear is 1:1 and requires all forward clutches to be engaged (could be wrong on this) thus it takes the highest volume/pressure of fluid in order to "lock" without slipping. My background is airplanes which usually have a gearbox with one speed so I could be wrong lol. Anyway, I think third gear seems to be a weak point in our RE4R01A trannys in these year models. What say you?

I'm not sure. The most I've seen fail in person were ones with no reverse, or reverse that slipped so bad you had it at 4k rpm and it crawled along. I also saw one once that had 1st and 3rd but no 2nd or overdrive LOL. The guy was 2 quarts low on ATF but unfortunately topping it up did not fix it.

My old pathy that I had for almost 6 years had an intermittent no reverse problem that turned out to be a clogged valve body. My new one, the previous owner replaced the transmission with a "low mileage" one from a used auto parts place. It shifts ok but I find the shifts kind of sloppy. If I have to I will get it rebuilt or find an xterra HD tranny to rebuild and throw in.

#49 OFFLINE   silverton

silverton

2x February '14 TOTM winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

The two pathfinder's I have owned, were both automatics and neither had reverse. All forward gears worked perfectly though. Both trucks had about 170,000 miles on them. One I know had just lost reverse since the PO was a friend of mine, I don't know about the other.

#50 OFFLINE   damuho

damuho

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hi, OP!

Can you share where you got your rebuild kit and the rest of the replacement parts you used? I looked in Amazon but can't find it. Someone local is selling a no-reverse tranny which I'm thinking of buying to rebuild. The one on my Pathy has the same no-reverse issue.

Thanks!

#51 OFFLINE   Willfly4money

Willfly4money

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hi, OP!

Can you share where you got your rebuild kit and the rest of the replacement parts you used? I looked in Amazon but can't find it. Someone local is selling a no-reverse tranny which I'm thinking of buying to rebuild. The one on my Pathy has the same no-reverse issue.

Thanks!

Sure thing!, search amazon for the: ATP NM-20 Automatic Transmission Master Repair Kit
It should be around $150. You will need to buy an internal filter from wherever you choose as well as a brake band, I would suggest rockauto on those two items. If you have a 4x4 MAKE SURE AND ORDER THE NM-20 kit as opposed to the NM-21 or NM-22 as these two are for other tranny codes (cars or 2-wheel drive).

The best you could hope for is that the friction plates on the reverse clutch is the only thing wrong, in that case the master repair kit will fix your problem. If it is a valve body issue (stuck shuttle valve or screwed springs) that isn't a real expensive problem either as the manual has the part numbers for the springs and if a valve is stuck you can just clean out the valve body and reassemble with new seals/gaskets. Just keep in mind, if the tranny is out of the truck and sitting in front of you, NO MATTER WHAT IS WRONG, I would strongly consider rebuilding it with this $150 kit while it is out. The reason I say this is that these trannys are not fun to take out and even if the only problem seems to be the valve body and associated shuttle valves and springs (or solenoids for that matter), you are MUCH better off pulling the guts out and freshening it up. If one set of clutches has "grenaded" that means the friction material has traveled through a good portion if not all of the tranny, so a complete tear down is in order IMHO. Again, while the tranny is out of the truck, it is astronomically easier to just follow the manual and quickly disassemble and rebuild so as to make it fresh. The caveat is that if any of the solenoids or the temp sensor or the temp switch are bad, that will increase the price significantly, but I will say that in my opinion, these electrical items have a low failure rate.

Here is my understanding of the extremes: As long as the tranny in question has not been heated to the point of actually warping the parts listed on page AT-201 of the manual, the rebuild is pretty straightforward and shouldn't require much more than what I stated above. If you have any questions along the way I would surely help as much as I can.

#52 OFFLINE   damuho

damuho

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, OP, for the detailed reply! Yes, I agree with you on refreshing as much of the tranny while it is out.

#53 OFFLINE   bearindabush

bearindabush

NPORA Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • Model:Terrano R3m
  • Year:1990

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Great write up, the Terrano I just got for free has no drive what so ever so I'm guess I'm up for this job. The PO told me that a seal was replaced in the transmission 18 months ago and she was told at the time it probably wouldn't last long, guess they were right, before I got it, it was sitting for 6 months or so. Wish me luck :)

#54 OFFLINE   rollingrock

rollingrock

NPORA Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Year:1993

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

dude, that is impressive.

#55 OFFLINE   The_Magicians_Eye

The_Magicians_Eye

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Year:1991

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Amazon is telling me the NM-20 doesn't fit my Pathy (1991 4x4 SE). Am I looking at the correct part? Should I just ignore Amazon and chalk it up as them not knowing what the hell they are talking about?

http://www.amazon.co...e&vehicleType=6

Also where do I get the solenoids, temp sensor, and the temp switch? Mine was rebuild December of 2011 and it's shifting all wrong and slipping in all gears but not all the time. I suspect my issue is with the electronics in the trans. I bet they didn't replace any of that when they did the rebuild.

#56 OFFLINE   Hytekrednek

Hytekrednek

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Year:1993

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

I have a RE4R01A from a 95 pickup that needs to be rebuilt.  I believe that when it was last rebuilt that the temp sensor and switch were not replaced as it went out less than 3 months after having new solenoids installed.  Let me know if you find the electrical parts.  I found the solenoids from WIT in orlando florida.  WIT (Whatever It Takes) really good source for trans parts and cases to.

#57 OFFLINE   Willfly4money

Willfly4money

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Amazon is telling me the NM-20 doesn't fit my Pathy (1991 4x4 SE). Am I looking at the correct part? Should I just ignore Amazon and chalk it up as them not knowing what the hell they are talking about?http://www.amazon.co...e&vehicleType=6

Also where do I get the solenoids, temp sensor, and the temp switch? Mine was rebuild December of 2011 and it's shifting all wrong and slipping in all gears but not all the time. I suspect my issue is with the electronics in the trans. I bet they didn't replace any of that when they did the rebuild.

Hello, sorry to get back so late! I've been out of the country for three months. Yes the NM-20 is what you want. Wait until you test the solenoids and temp sensors as per the book before you buy them. They aren't cheap and they may be just fine. Go by the book and perform all the troubleshooting and testing matrices before and after the rebuild, it will help you to understand what exactly is wrong. Our trucks have a built in test system for the tranny, the procedure is there in the book and you can find out if an electronic problem exists or not.

#58 OFFLINE   Willfly4money

Willfly4money

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

I have a RE4R01A from a 95 pickup that needs to be rebuilt.  I believe that when it was last rebuilt that the temp sensor and switch were not replaced as it went out less than 3 months after having new solenoids installed.  Let me know if you find the electrical parts.  I found the solenoids from WIT in orlando florida.  WIT (Whatever It Takes) really good source for trans parts and cases to.

See post above, make sure to test the electrical components to make sure that is your problem before you do anything.

#59 OFFLINE   The_Magicians_Eye

The_Magicians_Eye

NPORA Old-Timer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Year:1991

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hello, sorry to get back so late! I've been out of the country for three months. Yes the NM-20 is what you want. Wait until you test the solenoids and temp sensors as per the book before you buy them. They aren't cheap and they may be just fine. Go by the book and perform all the troubleshooting and testing matrices before and after the rebuild, it will help you to understand what exactly is wrong. Our trucks have a built in test system for the tranny, the procedure is there in the book and you can find out if an electronic problem exists or not.

Where do I get this book?

#60 OFFLINE   Willfly4money

Willfly4money

NPORA Newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Just do a google search for wd21 FSM it's been so long I don't remember exactly have me the link. Once you have it, become very familiar with it and life will be easier with your pathy! Rebuilding the transmission was fun and I'm thinking about doing it on the side when I'm not flying, too bad you don't live nearby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to NPORA Forums

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

-NPORA