Wireless question

ahardb0dy

On my Dell Laptop, when I check my network settings under wireless properties tab, security, the pass phrase shown is not what the pass phrase is set too on my Linksys router, my comp will still connect to the internet. If I change the pass phrase on the laptop, and close the window, when I re open it, the pass phrase is back to what it was before, it doesn't save the one I put in.

Any ideas on this, thanks

I'm about to go back to XP honestly. Vista on my lap top has always drove me nuts and it's way overdue to be wiped clean. I have a new 7 disk but I dunno if it's worth installing. Unfortunately I've heard that some web pages no longer load with XP, but it might be stuff I don't even use.

I really never had any major problems with Vista but lately it seems the comp is using a lot of resources, so I was looking into going to windows 7. Would like to double the Ram as I said too. We have XP Pro on our desktop and it works fine

Have you tried a disc cleanup because over time vista can use allot of resources. You can also try deleting some of the "shadow copies" of your drive in disc clean I have gained up to 30gb sometimes from doing this. To get to disc cleanup open the computer directory (You might or might not have a shortcut on your desktop) and right click on your main drive (Usually C:) and click disc cleanup. I usually check all the boxes in "Files to delete" after you've clicked "ok" go back to it and choose more options to delete your shadow copies.

TBH I prefer the filing system on PCs. Maybe because I grew up with them. I like PCs in concept but their execution is just abysmal... they never fix anything, they just move the buttons around so that everything you learned from the last version, doesn't work anymore. As ungodly expensive as Macs are, I wouldn't buy a PC.

My friend gave me her old Vista machine. From the moment it started up, the processor would be running at 100% trying to keep up with all the crap it was trying to run. Between that and 'you do not have permission to edit this file,' I just about took an axe to the thing.

• Like 1

Come on... I love XP. But 7 is way better than vista. And if you're upgrading ram make sure you go 64 bit for your OS if you plan on putting in more than 4gb.<br /><br />Also. Your encryption method might have to do with your "issue." If you're using a pass phrase it might just be converting it to the hex key. If it was still connecting as usual you really don't have a problem.

Edited by MrT
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well since this has gone way off-topic...

XP is old but it will run fine if you have anything old to run it on but keep in mind that it will no longer be supported by Microsoft very soon.

Avoid Vista like the plague and its billions of updates.

7 is Vista done right and is a pretty good upgrade to XP and it was made to run on netbooks provided that you have enough RAM and hard disk space.

8 is for touch screen devices. If you don't like Windows phone then forget 8.

I have Windows versions spanning from first release 95 all the way to 8 and everything in between like NT4 and 2000. I have to admit that 7 is the best right now.

Don't get me started on Macs. Mac users need to STFU about how great it is. There is not as much you can do with a Mac OS as you can with Windows.

Then there is Linux. It works everywhere. :D

Ordered 2 sticks of 2 GB ram, was supposed to be delivered today but it's one of those weird shipping deals where it originally was shipped using UPS but now is being transferred to the USPS, so maybe it will be here tomorrow.