WD21 door lock timer

ahardb0dy

I pulled my door lock timer out to check the solder connections and took some pics in case anyone else may wonder what it looks like or where it is, this is on my 94, do not know if it is in a different location on the earlier 2 door models:

Here you can see where it is mounted, Drivers side rear cargo area, the grey box in this picture closest to the fenderwell:

2yzdf1k.jpg

closer view of above:

219qn88.jpg

after removing you can see it says "door lock timer" right on the end:

4m1wh.jpg

side of case with bracket:

21msrgp.jpg

circuit board removed from plastic case, component side:

a7ddw.jpg

did not take a pic of the solder side as my soldering would probably scare people away !!

Did soldering yours change anything? I did pretty much every connection on mine, and it still spazzes out sometimes.

That gives it personality!

(Thats how I rationalize mine doing that)

I just did this to mine. A co-worker put the board under the scope and soldered every connection . A couple were cracked so the soldering took care of that. Then checked all the components except th IC. Overkill for sure but I work for an electronics company so they had the scope and all. But I don't use company tools for personal stuff in case my boss reads this.?

mine is still working so far, before I took it out and re-soldered the connections, last week trying to unlock all the doors with the key or even from the drivers door lock switch wouldn't do anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Do you have to solder everything or just a few like do you know witch ones to do. Or do they all break in different places? Mine stopped working last summer but when the temperature dropped to 40s and 30s they worked like nothing had even happen.

2drpath I wish i could tell you where its at. However the book that i have for the path shows on two doors its in the same spot. I dont know if it looks the same as the one there showing.

Might as well do 'em all while you've got it on the bench. I only did the ones I figured needed it (I couldn't find any cracks) and it still acts up in cold weather... I'm not even sure the lock timer's to blame anymore, but if I'd done it properly I could rule it out.

I have had issues with my doors not being able to be locked/unlocked unless manually done. Whenever I've hit the lock button on the driver door panel, I hear the click or pop in the back (I determined it to be that grey box, now known as the door lock timer). I suppose that popping it out and redoing some of the soldering points would probably fix mine? Let me know which spots to really look for... I'd like to regain the usage of my locks again!

I have had issues with my doors not being able to be locked/unlocked unless manually done. Whenever I've hit the lock button on the driver door panel, I hear the click or pop in the back (I determined it to be that grey box, now known as the door lock timer). I suppose that popping it out and redoing some of the soldering points would probably fix mine? Let me know which spots to really look for... I'd like to regain the usage of my locks again!

iirc the door lock timer doesn't have any moving parts so the noise you hear from the back may be the hatch lock. Also, the solder connections may look ok but be hiding a small crack so its best just to resolder them. I know mine all loooked fine but it wasn't working properly. After resoldering it works perfect. You can just touch your soldering iron to the existing solder until it melts and then remove the iron, or apply more solder to the joint if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, I'll attempt to resolder the board this weekend. Picked up one in a boneyard thinking I'd save myself the hassle, but ended up being the wrong one (wondering how a 91 Pathfinder's DLT could be different from a 93). So I suppose I will attempt my best soldering job. Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

So I re-soldered the circuit board (such a pain!). Popped it back in and the door locks work! Thanks for your help all (sorry for sorta hijacking the thread, BTW).

Let me ask while we're on somewhat of the same subject: I bought a 4-button remote from ebay (its not the factory OEM one) and have tried programming it. Before the locks were fixed, the programming device would "recognize" the remote when I pressed a button during the programming sequence, however the locks would not work. Now that I have repaired the door lock timer, I attempted to program the remote again, and once again, to no avail. Is there something wrong with the remote, or is there another common problem I'm missing?

Thanks again for your help, all.

• 1 year later...

93 Pathy. Door locks haven't worked for years. Read this and soldered what looked like some loose connections on the door timer. Locks work now but lock automatically.

When I get in and lock the doors then unlock and open the door as if I'm getting out of the vehicle the shut the door they all lock automatically.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I rechecked the solder connections and had my son look as well. My eyes are shot. He says none are touching each other. I pulled the switch panel from the drivers door and took it apart. Checked continuity on the door lock points. All seems good there.

Edited by Rooster67

could be a bad door switch, any problems with the dome light working or coming on randomly? Or any problems or lights showing the rear cargo door is open? Rear cargo door switch is a known issue.