Value of an R50 in need of an engine?

taro

Well, my 1998 seems like she's finally throwing in the towel. The mechanic is guessing that she might need a new engine, but won't know until he starts taking things apart. He noted that once he began taking things apart, he can't guarantee that he can get her running again unless she gets a "new" used engine. He said junk yards are offering about $400 for a vehicles to scrap, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try and part it out. As far as I know, the manual tranny and transfer case are fine as well as the rear axle and front diff and half shafts. The tires and wheels are in decent shape...any thoughts? Thanks, Taro

• Like 1

The long version of the story is that I bought it at $135k with a clean carfax report only to find that it had been in a front end collision. Eventually, I developed a hole on top of the muffler, which then resulted in the carpet above the muffler melting. Then the keyway for the crank pulley got mangled, which was repaired. That was the repair that gave up the ghost. The mechanic called and said he couldn't believe she was running for as long as she did in the shape that she was in. In addition, there's some evap equipment that is not working/missing-he also mentioned something about looking like there was a small fire where some of the emissions equipment is missing. Also, three of the four o2 sensors are throwing codes. But that being said, when it was running prior to this, it was running, shifting, steering, and braking very well. Mileage is around 225k miles. :-(

Edited by taro

I'd need the driver's side front combination housing, the driver door's exterior handle (if spring is intact) and hinges, the glove box slow open mechanism (if you have it), the ambient temperature sensor for the overhead console if its retaining clip is intact (if you have the overhead console)... I think that's it. What color is your interior?

My charcoal canister was missing, but my rack and PS pump are good as far as I know. My door handles are good. I don't recall the glove box opening slowly or an air temp sensor. I have a '98 se with the spare tire rack on the rear and I believe a limited slip rear diff (although I'm not sure if the clutches are doing anything at this point). I'm not sure what the front combination housing is. My interior color is beige cloth and brown plastic.

Are you guys able to pick up?

Yes, I have the front combination housing. Re: the door handle having resistance. I'm assuming yes. I have never had the feeling that it was broken.

All this being said though, here's my predicament: right now my mechanic is letting me keep the non-running pf at his lot temporarily until I decide what I'm going to do with it. I live in a suburb and don't have any garage space to part it out. Another thing I'm short in is time, especially now that we have to buy another car. The mechanic thought a local yard would offer $400 for it. As I've been looking through Nissan part prices, it looks like it would take a lot of time and effort to make significantly more than this.

Thoughts? Thanks, Taro

Man, it sounds like a conundrum. Have you tried putting it up on craigslist? If you have the money for a replacement, personally I would go with that (and dont just rely on the carfax :hugs: as im sure you have learned by naow)

Im no real mechanic, but it sounds like theres a good bit of stuff to do. While it should go for another 100k miles, throwing money at something that seems to keep breaking is no fun.

So, my suggestion is try craigslist, just say you are selling the whole thing and are not parting out due to time/space limitations. If noone nibbles, then off to the junkyard. It sucks that youd be getting so little for it tho :doh:

Update: I sold the Pathfinder for $700-I suck at negotiating :P Anyway, he wanted to put a new engine in it and take it back home to Haiti.

Can't thank everyone enough for all of the help I've received here over the years. Best wishes to all, Taro