help me choose: xterra or pathfinder

johnm

OK, so I'm still shopping for a new vehicle. One of my local dealers has 2 vehicles on thier lot:

1) 2007 Pathfinder SE 4x4 "Off-Road" package, 79K miles, $14,900

2) 2006 XTerra X 4x4, 95K miles, $11,900

Both have the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed auto tranny.

Just is case it matters, I don't do any serious off-roading. My driving is 90% below 55. 50% smooth paved roads, 25% crappy paved country roads, 20% dirt roads, 5% no roads. In the winter that 20% dirt turns into mud, so I need the 4 wheel drive.

I can afford either. I won't be modifying them, stock capabilities and features are sufficient for my needs.

Any thoughts, concerns, pointers? Is the pathfinder worth the extra $3K?

I know this is the pathfinder place, but I figured you guys can give me honest opinions.

know what, nevermind...I'm not getting anywhere near the radiator/transmission and timing belts issue in these years and models.

In case you don't know what I'm referring to, google, "2007 pathfinder transmission problems"

2007's don't have as many problems with them as the 05's. Nissan extended the warrantys on them, FYI. Both vehicles have good and bad things. Xterra is going to be a little more rugged, less bells and whistles, but easier to modify and has solid rear axle. The pathfinder is a bit more cushier, independent rear axle, nicer ride, blah blah blah. The radiator issue is a easy fix by installing a aftermarket trans oil cooler(some say every pathfinder should have a aftermarket cooler installed). The 4.0l does not have a timing belt. You must be referring to the timing chain guides. Once again, early production had the issues. You should go drive them. All vehicles have issues, you just have to figure out how to prepare for them.

yes, I know all vehicles have issues. There are some "issues" that I'm simply not prepared to deal with, like a catastrophic failure due to poor engineering design. Especially when the manufacturer essentially denies it's a problem, extended warranty or not. Bad engineering once, is bad engineering repeated. It's the reason I don't buy Ford or GM vehicles.

know what, nevermind...I'm not getting anywhere near the radiator/transmission and timing belts issue in these years and models.

In case you don't know what I'm referring to, google, "2007 pathfinder transmission problems"

From what i have read, it just looks like bad plumbing?

Couldn't that be fixed for less than $100?

-Kyle

My personal taste sais I would go with the xterra, but the benefits of the Pathfinder (stuff mentioned like the nicer roadability, interior luxury, etc) ain't my PERSONAL appeal. The X keys would fit my ring better. Also as stated everything is gonna have some quirky issues, weigh out what YOU can ignore and if they are easy-to-you to create remidys (I swear I remember r51 talk around here on the rad issues, but I haven't had enough :coffee: yet)

OK, so I'm still shopping for a new vehicle. One of my local dealers has 2 vehicles on thier lot:

1) 2007 Pathfinder SE 4x4 "Off-Road" package, 79K miles, $14,900

2) 2006 XTerra X 4x4, 95K miles, $11,900

Both have the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed auto tranny.

Just is case it matters, I don't do any serious off-roading. My driving is 90% below 55. 50% smooth paved roads, 25% crappy paved country roads, 20% dirt roads, 5% no roads. In the winter that 20% dirt turns into mud, so I need the 4 wheel drive.

I can afford either. I won't be modifying them, stock capabilities and features are sufficient for my needs.

Any thoughts, concerns, pointers? Is the pathfinder worth the extra $3K?

I know this is the pathfinder place, but I figured you guys can give me honest opinions.

Hi...based on your needs I would go with the Xterra. I've owned an 05 Xterra X since '08 and have had my usual share of problems with it but overall its a great truck.

Some others here have already pointed out the things to look for. Regarding guys that seem to think the ride is that much smoother in the Pathfinder I have to say I don't find a difference in ride quality. Take them both for a spin and hit some bumps and you be the judge. Yeah it has leaf springs in the back but they do the job.

Personally, I think it looks so much better and is just more functional. The back end seems to fit just about anything and its easy to clean out. My 130lbs Bernese Mountain Dog used to love cruising in the back seat :)

If you have any questions feel free to reach out...cheers

Well, I'm a traitor. Came across a really good deal on a 08 Wrangler X and the dealer offered me $3000 for my Pathfinder (like a $1000 more than I thought I'd get). So now I'm a Jeep owner.

Thanks to everyone for your help during my tenure as a Pathy owner. And to the board owners for maintaining this corner of the net, I would have had a much harder time without it. :)

Well, as rabid pro-pathfinder we are here, we will admit there are other vehicles out there, and you know what best suits your needs. Hopefully it'll work out well for you. :aok:

Thanks for being part of NPORA and I'm glad it helped you, that's what makes it worth the effort...

B

• 2 weeks later...

You were looking at pathfinders or xterra's, and you ended up with a Wrangler? Do you realize they have a ****** ride, and if its a soft top, are cold as @!*% in the winter? Not to mention Loud? If you are not going to modify it, i see no point to ever buying a Jeep to just DD it......horrible decision.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not a Jeep fan but I must say the above post is a bit ignorant. The Wrangler has really changed over the years. They now ride pretty soft because of coil springs and long arm suspension. It's amazing how smooth they made solid axles ride.

The new Wranglers are not any louder than a typical car. Maybe they are cold in the winter with the soft top but that's not a big deal when you have a decent heater. My only concern about Jeeps is Chrysler's terrible reputation for reliability when it comes to drive-train parts.