Cat-back worth it?

Well at the time I was runnin stock tires,keep this in mind, anywhere from 2-2.5 mpg. I had this difference for about 6 months them I put larger tires on and back down it went. I was getting almost 16 mpg and then my tires dropped it back to 14.5ish. Still great for a 4x4 pathy

• 1 month later...
where can i find a good cat back?? i cant seam to find one anywhere for a 2000 infiniti qx4

You'd probably have to have one custom fabbed. Aftermarket support is severely lacking for the R50, other than the few companies that started out of the necessity of wanting to modify their own R50. Thankfully they exist though . . .

It shouldn't be too hard to find a shop to make one.

• Like 1

I got a quote for a custom Magnaflow single out cat-back, all stainless, at Automotive Excellence, here in Huntington Beach, and it was $375 dumped and another $75 if I wanted a tip. It's definitely on my to-buy list, and it's good to hear it helps mpg.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So finally got this done. 2.25" stainless piping to a Magnaflow, dumping the resonator out back. Definitely feel a power bump and a nice change of tune. We'll see how the MPGs are on next fill-up. Cost $325 at local shop. Should have done it long ago.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about a Magnaflow purely for a beefier sound, the extra mpg would be nice too. From my experience so far the biggest increase in mpg came when I put manual hubs on, my mpg jumped from 14 to 18. I have 31" tires though.

A quality muffler shouldnt produce drone. As long as you have it exit from the vehicle. A turn down where it exits under the vehicle will produce more drone though.

When I had my 01 Z28 and true duals that dumped under the car. Whew, that was some drone! But was running Moroso Spiral flows.

• Like 1

So basically quality muffler, following the stock routeing and should have a quality setup? Sounds tempting

If i took to a very high rated shop in my area, they could probably recommend a good solution no doubt?

Goal is very little drone, i dont mind a slight pitch increase, but its anything like my dads 280z, its a no go, that thing is running full header, glass pack, tiny muffler at the end of the system, with a full 2.5 all the way though.

-Kyle

Here is my setup- I have an 18" Magnaflow dual in single out, welded to the factory pipe. Removed resonator and polished tip. Cost me about $400 when all said and done. Very nice tone, and a small mpg gain. I filmed a little too close, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jraEGmb10_4

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

I agree to an extent, VG's have a more growling sound, were as the VQ's have a more European hummm

VG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjVVAS7z2c

VQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGJjmqr12ck

They do sound different, and with aftermarket exhaust, the sound differences are only going to be amplified.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to a local muffler shop because my resonator fell off, and so the exhaust is dumping straight up into the middle underneath... which actually melted the factory rubber mat in the back after a 4 hour trip! Anyways, he told me my whole exhaust set up needs replaced, quoting me $400 something. Total bullsh*t since everything is in fine condition, just needs to be piped out to the rear. I asked if there was any exhaust system that could free up a little HP, in his exact words he said "No, just go factory since it won't sound good". Ok :angry:

Edit: Would be nice if someone got a recording from outside, like a driveby, at normal cruising speeds and maybe accelerating.

Edited by iPath