1996 auto, overheating issue

theexbrit

Hi all, just got back from a couple of trips & my engine was close to overheating on several occasions. It's been very hot here in So Cal, 100+ on these trips, but still shouldn't get that hot under the hood. When I'm driving at road speed (anything 30mph or above) the truck is fine, it just gets really hot when going slow uphill. I've had to turn the heater on & that helped it stay below boiling but made it a little "uncomfortable" in the truck :lmao::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It has a new water pump (about 6 months old), new radiator (it was overheating before the new rad), electric fans (which saved the day on each over heat occasion) & correct mix of water/anti freeze.

I'm wondering if a high capacity water pump is a good investment as it seems that it only gets really hot when it's under load.

Stant rad cap & thermostat, no I didn't test it first. My bad. It does take quite a while to warm up & the top of the rad & top hose gets to about 160f when warmed up.

The fans cover the whole rad width wise & I adapted the stock shroud to fit the fans. The electric fans were on pretty much all the time in the desert & stopped it from boiling over, although I did have to stop once to let it cool down. I'll get a pic of the rad shroud & fans if you want.

Did the fans work at slow speed previously when it was 100°F+ out, or is this the first time the fans have been used in these conditions? It is possible that the fans cannot pull enough air through the radiator on their own, when there is an insufficient ram-air effect from driving fast.

• Like 1

Did the fans work at slow speed previously when it was 100°F+ out, or is this the first time the fans have been used in these conditions? It is possible that the fans cannot pull enough air through the radiator on their own, when there is an insufficient ram-air effect from driving fast.

x2 .. Exactly what I was thinking.

BTW, when I go off-roading (4LO, 1st gear, ~6000ft elevation, ambient temp > 85°F, A/C on high), the engine often starts to run towards the upper range of "normal" (up to 225°F, monitored by a Scan-Gauge II), even with the stock belt-driven fan, because at idle the fan doesn't pull enough CFM through the radiator. In 4LO, the engine has to do a lot of work climbing up steep terrain, but speeds are typically under 10mph, and the engine RPM is also usually not very fast. If I shift to N and rev the engine to ~3000rpm, the fan makes all sorts of crazy loud noise and the temperature starts to drop. I'm pretty sure the stock fan pulls a ton more CFM through the radiator when the clutch is fully engaged than any electric fan could. I am not sure how cool things would be in 100°F+ temperatures.

When I have time, I may install a 10-12" aux. electric "pusher" fan in front of the A/C condenser to help keep air moving at low speeds to compensate.

The coolant is clean, I changed it when I changed the radiator.

I never ran it in these temps with the stock fan so I don't have anything to compare. The fans are supposed to pull 2,500cfm I think, I'll have to dig out the specs. They seem to pull a ton of air through & they stopped it from overheating a few times. I'm wondering if an aftermarket tranny cooler would help or maybe an oil cooler.

I'm wondering if an aftermarket tranny cooler would help or maybe an oil cooler.

The oil filter location on the VG33 R50 makes it impossible to fit an oil cooler sandwich adapter, so that's not an option. A tranny cooler will help keep the AT fluid cooler, but won't have much effect on the engine temperature.

• 4 weeks later...

The oil filter location on the VG33 R50 makes it impossible to fit an oil cooler sandwich adapter, so that's not an option. A tranny cooler will help keep the AT fluid cooler, but won't have much effect on the engine temperature.

Oil filter relocation kit is for the win!! =)