2nd gear hard shift (auto)

Chicano2005

im getting annoyed by the 2nd gear (auto) shifting semi-hard at around 3-4k rpms

below or above rpm's is less noticeable sometimes shifts perfectly.

i bought the pathy like this 2 years ago...so i dont think transmission is going out!

will a simple drain/flush refill, maybe synthetic oil help??

any suggestion/comments are appreciated!!

99.5 LE 4x4 AUTO

Canadian

Edited by Chicano2005

Check the transmission fluid level.

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.

2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.

3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.

4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.

R50ATdipstick.png

The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.

Have you ever changed the fluid?

Edited by Towncivilian

I think its normal for these trucks to have a little bit of shift feel when shifting to 2nd gear coz mine does that too specially when its cold, and goes away as it warms up. Some might shift harder than the others. The reason iam saying coz when i was lookin to buy this truck i test drove about 5 of them and they all had the same shift feel and some felt harder than the others.

The only real solution to this problem is to fill the transmission with Nissanmatic D fluid.

If Nissan knew rough shifting would be an issue with non-Matic D fluids, why would they specify Dexron III a suitable substitute in the FSM (and only for Canada, no less?)

If Nissan knew rough shifting would be an issue with non-Matic D fluids, why would they specify Dexron III a suitable substitute in the FSM (and only for Canada, no less?)

They probably didn't realize it before. There is a TSB that specifies the use of Nissanmatic C, which is now dated, to improve rough shifting. Either way, rough shifting is good, makes the transmission last longer with quicker shifts. If you don't like that, use Nissanmatic D and it will be much less present in cold weather.

I would suggest doing a transmission cooler line exchange to change all of the fluid at once. I would use Nissan Matic D only. You can find steps on the method in this thread on NICOclub under the Transmission & driveline Q&A section.

There is a strainer in the transmission pan, but it generally doesn't get clogged with anything because it's more like a rock catcher than a fine filter. You shouldn't need to change it I think.

Nissan Matic-D is still Nissan Matic-D it has not changed since it came out.

C hasnt been used in a north american Nissan in like a bazillion years. D replaced C back when vehicles still used leaded gas!

D is not interchangable with J, K, W or S (please dont!!)

Part number for Nissan-Matic D is:

999MP-AA100P

Now....

As far as 'universal' AT fluids go that are out there now......I say no way. But thats just my opinion.

Edited by Alkorahil
  • Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Rob.

I'm running Castrol Import Multi Vehicle and get a shift flare from 1->2 sometimes. My R50 is too new to be affected by the TSB, so I can only chalk it up to the fluid. I'll get around to replacing all the fluid with Matic D next time I do a pan drop & filter change (using OEM parts), in about 15k miles. That'll be the last pan drop I ever do on this vehicle.