$25 do it your self intake (MUST FOR 3" BODYLIFT)

Balln

Hey guys figured i would post these pics up. Not sure if this would be considered a cold air intake. I know alot of guys weld up adapter plates and do the same thing but i didnt feel like pulling my welder out and i dont have time at work to fab one up. So hopfully this can help the guys that dont have access to a welder.

I installed a 3" body lift on my pathy and after it was done i then relised the tube going to my factory airbox was in a major bind and stretching. So after a couple mins of looking at what i had i came up with this.

IMAG0757.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

This is the inside of the top section of the air box

IMAG0761.jpg

IMAG0763.jpg

There is two rivet like peices that hold the goldish plate on. I blended the one that you can get to from inside the box. The other one i had to drill the back side of it. Once those are out of the way it should come out pretty nice.

IMAG0764.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg

After i got it out and started looking at it and my filter i got from my local autozone for $25. The filter comes with adapters i ended up using the 3 1/2" one. The metal plate is curved out and wouldnt want to fit into my adapter so i made some releave cuts into the ring every 1" then bent those down to fit in the filter. I dont have pics of this but its fairly easy and it seals good and tight.

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0767.jpg

When bolting the maf back up you will see you will have to have two shorter bolts.

IMAG0787.jpg

IMAG0788.jpg

This is where its going to get interesting for you. luckily i had some brackets laying around and was able to use one. After twisting it to my needs it fits really nice in there. I did have to remove one of the factory brackets to allow the filter to sit down in the whole.

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0792.jpg

And thats it.

IMAG0793.jpg

IMAG0794.jpg

IMAG0795.jpg

IMAG0796.jpg

IMAG0797.jpg

IMAG0798.jpg

I plan on cutting my plastic vent inserts on the front of my hood for more air flow and the driver side i will end up fabbing up some sort of air box that will act like a ram air setup.

Make sure you put an isolator around that filter because otherwise you will just be sucking in more hot underhood air. Then again it might even not make a difference because the intake is intentionally heated on these engines anyway.

Yeah the way the filter box was it was sucking air from under the hood. I dont understand how alot of people say they have a cold air intake when there filter is sucking hot air from there engine bay. Just becuase there is a chrome tube they say its a cold air intake. Its olny cold till the engine heats up lol.

Hey Tugsten what would the difference be? If anything i wanna say it runs better and doesnt have to suck as hard to get air. The tubes coming off the box didnt seem like they where getting really good access to air.

To answer your question, there is no difference. The factory air box is not restrictive, even with the silencers on it. The only possible restriction in the entire system could be the MAF venturi and I don't think it is. I can prove it with a vacuum gauge. The only time these cone filters and larger MAF sensors do make a real difference is in a turbo application. The actual cone shape of the filter might cause the air to get sucked in more efficiently but that's really negligible and probably won't do anything because the runners take care of this already. You could have just used a Hardbody intake pipe which is angled exactly how you need it or build a platform for the airbox. The airbox, if you don't have anything missing, should take the air from inside the fender. Since you already set this up, I say just make a small thermal isolator and be done with it so you minimize the heat soak on hot days.

The ram air could be interesting. It could increase air density at speed and cause you to go faster with a wide open throttle with no impact on fuel economy. Do you go past 85 mph? If you do that could be a benefit to you.

Tungsten you're rough man! Gawd it wasn't even my project and I kinda feel like crying :( 'Do you go past 85 mpg? Then it may come in handy for ya!' lol funny but harsh. I've done stuff like that before, the so called free'r breathing cold air intake, not on the Path but an old honda prelude I used to have, and atleast psychologically it added like 50 hp! Hehe

I had the K&N Apollo filter on my 94 for a while ( the enclosed K&N cone filter), than an open element K&N, got tired of hearing it so put it back to stock.

And I drive over 85 daily too.

The Apollo:

2lne5wk.jpg

2wgzo90.jpg

the open K&N, notice the plexi spacer it acts as a heat insulator (just kidding!):

3496tjm.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Tungsten you're rough man! Gawd it wasn't even my project and I kinda feel like crying :( 'Do you go past 85 mpg? Then it may come in handy for ya!' lol funny but harsh. I've done stuff like that before, the so called free'r breathing cold air intake, not on the Path but an old honda prelude I used to have, and atleast psychologically it added like 50 hp! Hehe

I really just try to explain things from a scientific point of view. Nothing personal at all. One way you could test for an intake restriction is using a vacuum gauge. Why spend all that money if your intake is fine anyway? I have seen vehicles with really terrible intakes though. A first generation Ford Explorer would be one of those vehicles that could benefit from a better intake. Nissan's VG30 Pathfinders on the other hand have really well designed intake systems. Believe me I have looked into a bigger intake system on these trucks but found no need for one. The most obvious reason why the intake is not that large is that the heads have very tiny ports in them with tiny valves. The tiny head ports promote high low end power from a little 3 liter engine.

I didnt take it in a bad way. Im open to your guys thoughts. All the similar threads and pics i have seen show a custom built bracket to mount the filter too. The way i did it you dont have to. And i would rather have my intake setup this way rather then my tube about to brake and crack open.

Speaking of that, the one thing I do recommend doing is replacing the ribbed hose with a straight anti-heat coated metal pipe in about 2.5" diameter. Eliminating as much turbulence in the intake as possible could potentially make an improvement. Any turbulence in the intake is bad.

I've always wondered why people buy the cheapest air filters available for intake, I've been given these spectre filters and thrown them away.

The ram air could be interesting. It could increase air density at speed and cause you to go faster with a wide open throttle with no impact on fuel economy. Do you go past 85 mph? If you do that could be a benefit to you.

If its a good design and captures the air effectively I'm pretty sure you could get a 10-15hp increase above 60mph which would be slightly noticable, it wouldn't suddenly make your WD21 able to pass people though LOL

I agree the intakes on these are decent, I do like the sound of a open element intake however (tiny bit louder). I'll post my free intake setup if I get around to it.

I think it is a clean, simple and economical solution. You are right, you didn't want to keep the stress on the intake hose, it wouldn't have lasted long long that way and vacuum leaks there are bad. As it sits right now, the intake hose should last a long time. The only drawback to tha set up is that you are much more likely to gulp some water when you first nose into a puddle or whatever. I know you aren't exactly drowning out there is AZ, but keep it in mind and stay out of the vados if you see thunder clouds in the distance! ;)

That is definitely not a cold air intake, it is simply a less restrictive intake. Regardless of hot air, almost everyone who has installed a cone filter under the hood has commented about increased noise and increased throttle response, especially at higher RPM.

FYI, another quick, easy fix to the hose stress is simply to remove the stock air box support bracket closest to the MAF, the air box will sag down on that side and lessen the strain significantly while still being well secured. :aok:

B

Thought I'd add my DIY "intake". This is a simple way to add some extra engine sound, just like a cone filter will. I used a metal blade in my sawzall so it really didnt cost me any wear to the blade. I removed the box assembly then carefully cut around the outer edge. I removed the front snorkle, removed the inner harness holder to allow maf harness to reach new maf sensor location. I used a bracket that secured the original box bolted to the inner fender using spare bolts to ensure it wont rub the a/c pulley during a hard bumb. My filter was pretty dirty too, I will be buying a ebay air intake soon, I just wanted to show a DIY free intake, this box can be cut with a hack saw as well, took about 1 minute with the sawzall. Took a video of the sound.

5vubly.jpg

28auw0i.jpg

zx3f4.jpg

35iybgo.jpg

6hludd.jpg

That's a cool way to do it madmax. I stayed after work to work on a shield seperater piece for the filter. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out for a hours worth of time on it. Still have to deburr the sheet metal then blast it and spraypaint it. I'll run it for awgile till I figure out if my plans are going to work. I want to run a ram air setup. I will post pics of it tomorrow