Front control arm bushings-replace control arm or go with generic?

SurfPath

Well, after a routine oil change & service my dealer tells me that all 4 front control arm bushings on my 2001 Pathfinder (107,000 kilometers) need to be replaced. I hadn't noticed any steering/suspension issues, but I now notice much heavier wear on the outside of my newish front tires (esp. compared to the rear tyres).

As many others who have posted on this forum have experienced, Nissan dealers will only sell you new complete control arms (as opposed to just the bushings). The dealer's cost for the 2 (front L & R) control arms is $683 US not including labor (note I am located outside the US).

Many here have tried out the harder poly bushings. They look great, except that it'd be difficult for me to get these where I'm located (it'd take a few months to have them shipped in, & need to use my path for daily driving).

What I do have access to here are chinese manufactured generic bushings: $82 US for the set of 4. The Nissan dealer actually referred me to these, saying that other pathfinder owners have used these before (they are popular with minibus drivers), but that "they don't last long" (ie. certainly as long as the genuine nissan bushing). I think they referred me to the cheap parts because I have been a loyal customer for years and they know that I am financially very strapped right now. They said they'd even install these chinese rubbers.

My research tells me that replacing the Pathfinder control arm bushings (esp. with another rubber bushing) is not a simple process. Sadly, I am not an auto DIYer and can't do the project myself.

What are your general thoughts. Shall I just drive around for a month on the old bushings and eat ramen noodles in order to save for new complete control arms? I had them move the rear tires to the front. Or shall I get the Chinese rubbers and have the dealer stick me with (probably) a fair amount of labor? I drive about 15-20k a day

Thanks!

SP

Check out Rockauto.com for a better selection of parts. My quick search showed AC Delco front bushings for $9 a piece. Don't go to the dealer for installation, they'll rip you off on labor. Find a good mechanic who does imports, and it'll be just fine, at a much lower cost.

Check out Rockauto.com for a better selection of parts.

Sorry, I live on a tiny island with no "chain" auto stores. Supplies are limited on everything. It'd be difficult for me to get a US bought part shipped in on time (it'd take a few months & 100%+ charge at customs).

But are front control arm bushings that 'generic'? (ie, can be shared by most large vans/trucks/pickups/SUV's?)

Though it's the more expensive option, I would save up and get the new OEM control arms w/ bushings. That's what I'm doing, after my mechanic wasn't able to source new bushings. Yes, I know I could get poly bushings, but suspension work is beyond my DIY skills and tools.

if you are strapped for cash and don't want to wait I would just go with the chinese rubber bushings. They are probably some form of comparable to OEM and at a minimum you will probably get what you paid for out of them. that's my 2 cents

Sorry, I live on a tiny island with no "chain" auto stores.

That is awesome.

But are front control arm bushings that 'generic'? (ie, can be shared by most large vans/trucks/pickups/SUV's?)

Pretty much - they're just bushings. If those are your only two options, I would go with the chinese ones as well. Sounds ridiculous to spend $700+labor just to replace bushings. And like Howie said, I'd look somewhere other than the dealership to have them installed.

OK, thanks to all for the helpful, diverse, input.

I plan to now get a labor quote on the installation of the generic 'chinese' bushings (one from the dealer and one from an alternate mechanic). I will also ask a few of the minivan bus drivers about their experience with those cheap bushings, how long did they last, etc. Even if I get 3-5 years out of them I'll be happy. Then again, I don't want their installation messing up anything else on the front suspension.

Cheers,

SP

Quick update:

The economics of my location probably dont translate well elsewhere, but here is a final update.

I went ahead and had new control arms installed by the dealer (seems like a waste, eh). The cost for purchasing/installing the cheap Chinese bushings would have been 40% less than what I paid for, but would have taken 2-5 days of working with bush mechanics and amateur machine shops.

In the end the new arms took 1 hour to install. In my view the saved time was worth it. If I was more DIY capable I would have gone the other route.

I wonder what else lies ahead for my 2001 R50 (107,000 Km) as far as replacement parts, issues. I will check out some of the other threads to see what the common issues are.

Cheers,

SP