Radiator

theexbrit

Plastic top and bottom but the plastic has never failed on me. I don't see why you would want a metal core for top and bottom anyway. That will only increase your warm up time from the extra heat dissipation. Besides, radiators are kind of disposable anyway so why spend the extra coin for a more costly all metal one? The Koyorad has served me well for years and with a coolant change every other year it has not let me down yet. If this one ever breaks or gets plugged up for some weird reason or the fins get bent or whatever, I would buy another one of the same and keep going.

Since you mentioned it, for desert driving, if your radiator, fan clutch (or e-fan), and thermostat work, you should not have any issues getting around even with the A/C on. The only time you would want to look into a cooling system upgrade is if your engine makes significantly more power than stock. Otherwise you will be burning away fuel with longer warm up times. I know I'm probably going to get attacked for saying that but I can explain why you actually don't want to oversize the radiator even when the engine has a thermostat.

Just curious what temperatures do you get out in the desert? Or where does the temperature needle point? Also, do you have a transmission cooler or is it a MT?

Edited by Tungsten

I just got back from a trip to the sierras & the temp was mostly ok (about the middle of the stock gauge), but whenever I had a long, slow hill climb the temp would go up to the hot mark & I'd have to pull over & let it cool for a while. The water was actually boiling in the overflow bottle at one point. It was hot up there, 100f on some occasions but it only happened when climbing hills at slow revs. It is an AT with the cooler, but I'm thinking the rad probably has some shyzer blocking part of it. The car is 16 years old with the stock rad so there is bound to be some blockage.

I am picking up a Koyorad tomorrow & will fit it at the weekend. There's electric fans, a new water pump & thermostat on this car so it so it should cool fine so the rad has to be the problem.

Edited by theexbrit

I just got back from a trip to the sierras & the temp was mostly ok (about the middle of the stock gauge), but whenever I had a long, slow hill climb the temp would go up to the hot mark & I'd have to pull over & let it cool for a while. The water was actually boiling in the overflow bottle at one point. It was hot up there, 100f on some occasions but it only happened when climbing hills at slow revs. It is an AT with the cooler, but I'm thinking the rad probably has some shyzer blocking part of it. The car is 16 years old with the stock rad so there is bound to be some blockage.

I am picking up a Koyorad tomorrow & will fit it at the weekend. There's electric fans, a new water pump & thermostat on this car so it so it should cool fine so the rad has to be the problem.

Your radiator is more than likely to be plugged. It really should not have issues even in 100 degree weather. 100 degrees is still colder than what the engine runs at.

Whenever you're ready.

There are a few reasons why you don't really want to oversize a radiator.

1. A bigger radiator means you will have to use more coolant. That means more expensive refills during maintenance intervals.

2. A bigger or more heavy duty radiator will add weight although it is negligible. It would definitely be more clumsy to remove during timing belt replacements.

3. A bigger radiator can actually lower the temperature way too quickly for the thermostat to keep up with so you may have more fluctuations in temperature while driving in colder weather. You may actually have to use a hotter thermostat to compensate for that and that will actually go against desert driving temperatures.

4. A bigger or more heavy duty radiator tends to be more expensive so if something ever happens to it you just end up spending all that money for nothing.

Nissan selected the radiator for the VG30E/VG33E and KA24E engines based on their factory power output and they accounted for plenty of overhead too. So while it may look small and light, it does the job just fine.

There are a few reasons why you don't really want to oversize a radiator.

1. A bigger radiator means you will have to use more coolant. That means more expensive refills during maintenance intervals.

2. A bigger or more heavy duty radiator will add weight although it is negligible. It would definitely be more clumsy to remove during timing belt replacements.

3. A bigger radiator can actually lower the temperature way too quickly for the thermostat to keep up with so you may have more fluctuations in temperature while driving in colder weather. You may actually have to use a hotter thermostat to compensate for that and that will actually go against desert driving temperatures.

4. A bigger or more heavy duty radiator tends to be more expensive so if something ever happens to it you just end up spending all that money for nothing.

Nissan selected the radiator for the VG30E/VG33E and KA24E engines based on their factory power output and they accounted for plenty of overhead too. So while it may look small and light, it does the job just fine.

1 and 2 are negligible. I always buy two bottles of coolant and am left with a 3/4 full one.

3 could be solved with a metal plate blocking part of it in the winter. This is common even with factory rads in places where it gets extremely cold.

4 I would agree with unless it has been proven in practice that the factory one was too small and/or had poor airflow through the bodywork. Refer to the Gen3 Toyota Supra for such a vehicle.

All of this aside, I've never had a problem with my Pathfinder overheating or even showing signs of a weak cooling system. Wish I could say that about the rest of the vehicle.

Your radiator is more than likely to be plugged. It really should not have issues even in 100 degree weather. 100 degrees is still colder than what the engine runs at.

I agree, I think there's shat in that there radiator!

Hopefully my new, clean, shiny Koyorad will take care of it. One more thing, Stant 13lbs cap, good or bad?

Thanks guys.