Resonators or additional cats? California emissions Pathy

moto-m

Does anyone know if part #'s 20010 and 20020 are additional catalytic converters or just resonators? My 1998 Pathy is California emissions and has these pipes instead of straight pipes like the federal emissions. I am doing an exhaust system and will probably leave them if they are just resonators. But if they are additional cats I may get rid of them to free up the system more. OEM they are like $800 compared to around $300 for the fed emissions pipes so it makes me think they are cats, which sucks.

r50_200-2.gif

Resonators.

Does deleting cats really "free up" anything? The ECU expects those cats there and performance probably wouldn't increase if they were removed, I would think. You'll also get a constant CEL.

Edited by Towncivilian

Resonators.

Does deleting cats really "free up" anything? The ECU expects those cats there and performance probably wouldn't increase if they were removed, I would think. You'll also get a constant CEL.

The 2nd oxygen sensor is before these so I don't see how it could throw a CEL.

Would it be easier to go with 2" or 2.25" inlets on the muffler? I am thinking 2" cause the stock is pipe is around 1 7/8" correct? I know exhaust systems have been discussed and I have read through previous threads but still not sure of the answer.