(Newb) IS THIS A GOOD BUY? HELP...

bruins11

Hey everyone! thanks for the invite... i'm excited to be a part of this forum. i have never had a 4x4 suv or any 4x4 for that matter...after much research and considering my financial status i've decided on gettin a pathfinder. i found one yesterday... so far i have reasearched them quite a bit but have not spoken to any owners so i'm glad to be here so i can gain some knowlege... i do however have 1 big question i want to ask about the pathfinder i might buy 2morrow... it's an automatic 93' SE 4x4 for $1500.00 the post says the top half of the engine has been rebuilt along with many other newly replaced parts... so here's the question. is the engine just as reliable after being rebuilt? it was the lowest priced auto, se, 4x4 that i could find and that looked good and sounded like the best deal. the guy selling it is around 40-50 years old. he said he and his buddy did the rebuild and repairs. and he doesn't have need for the vehicle anymore so he just wants to get rid of it. So if you have some input or answers please let me know.. im trying to get some input before i go see the vehicle 2morrow at 7pm. thanks... you can also feel free to text or call me for quicker response at (626) 692-3558 Danny

$1500? You can replace the engine and tranny (make sure you get a cooler) reasonably on these rigs. What you need to look for is rust. Check the frame behind the passenger seat. Get in there with a hammer and anything that doesn't sound solid, inspect.

Ask about the timing belt, look over the suspension components, ball joints, check the cv's for rips. If you can lift the front end and check the tires for play. Whatever you can to get some bargaining chips.

Hey bud, just saw your post. I would ask him some more questions...

Inquire as to what has been done to the top end, as about timing belt service, and check the mileage... Looking at little things will tell you alot about how the previous owner drove and cared for it. IE pedals, boots on the CV axles and tie rod ends, look for cupping or excessive wear on front tires, is the steering gear box leaking, etc.

I know its a vague answer to a blanket of other questions...

the post says the top half of the engine has been rebuilt along with many other newly replaced parts... so here's the question. is the engine just as reliable after being rebuilt?

To me, this says that the timing belt broke and they had to fix some valves. I could be wrong, of course, so please ask!

he doesn't have need for the vehicle anymore so he just wants to get rid of it.

I'm guessing the latter half. Make sure you know and trust these people or that you have some recourse or you just may be buying someone elses problems. Hard to tell from here though...

B

$1500? You can replace the engine and tranny (make sure you get a cooler) reasonably on these rigs.

So does this mean not to worry to much about the powertrain? is it not that expensive to replace?

I do know about the rust, brakes death wobble, and auto tranny heat issues though i've learned quite a bit from researching the wd21... as far as the stuff he replaced on the rebuild he told me but i cant remember it all... it was an extensive list and i remember it sounded pretty good. this is what i can remember if i'm correct he said valves, heads rebuilt, head gasket, oil pump, water pump and some other stuff... some other things he replaced that were on the for sale post: new converter, new brakes, new battery, new tires. I'm supposed to speak with him again tomorrow around 6:30pm if you guys can maybe make a list of questions to ask based off of the info i provided I would greatly appreciate it. thanks again... This forum is awsome and you guys r great! i didn't expect responses this quick... Thanks again...

Does sound like the timing belt broke... usually takes the valves with it. Not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it means there's a lot of stuff recently fixed! I'm a little surprised to see the torque (?) converter, maybe ask what went wrong with it.

It should have a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, cam seals, thermostat, etc. I'd check the fluids and double check the frame... I didn't realize that mine was rusted at all until I took a wheel off and thumped on it. Make sure the trans engages reverse smoothly.

If it runs and drives properly, it sounds like a good deal to me. My dad bought mine for $1600 and it needed all kinds of stuff.

I'm a little surprised to see the torque (?) converter, maybe ask what went wrong with it.

It should have a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, cam seals, thermostat, etc. I'd check the fluids and double check the frame... I didn't realize that mine was rusted at all until I took a wheel off and thumped on it. Make sure the trans engages reverse smoothly.

Yeah same here the post just said converter I assumed he meant torque converter. and I wanna say that from the stuff u mentioned I can remember him saying cam seals, tensioner , timing belt. But ill be sure to check reverse and frame and the stuff u mentioned. I wanna thank all u guys for taking the time to respond...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Strictly from a negotiation standpoint and the background information provided I would not pay $1,500 for this or any '93. Even if your mechanic says it checks out keep in mind that the power in this negotiation is in your favour. If he really wants to get rid of it I would offer him $200 above scrap value so $500 and see what he says. The most I would go up is to $700 if your mechanic says its good.

Hey everyone! thanks for the invite... i'm excited to be a part of this forum. i have never had a 4x4 suv or any 4x4 for that matter...after much research and considering my financial status i've decided on gettin a pathfinder. i found one yesterday... so far i have reasearched them quite a bit but have not spoken to any owners so i'm glad to be here so i can gain some knowlege... i do however have 1 big question i want to ask about the pathfinder i might buy 2morrow... it's an automatic 93' SE 4x4 for $1500.00 the post says the top half of the engine has been rebuilt along with many other newly replaced parts... so here's the question. is the engine just as reliable after being rebuilt? it was the lowest priced auto, se, 4x4 that i could find and that looked good and sounded like the best deal. the guy selling it is around 40-50 years old. he said he and his buddy did the rebuild and repairs. and he doesn't have need for the vehicle anymore so he just wants to get rid of it. So if you have some input or answers please let me know.. im trying to get some input before i go see the vehicle 2morrow at 7pm. thanks... you can also feel free to text or call me for quicker response at (626) 692-3558 Danny

The relative prices are bound to be different in different countries, and more vehicles are generally going to be more expensive in California than most other places in the country. :shrug:

B

KBB for my area says up to $2k for a nice one... dunno if I'd pay that but I wouldn't lowball the guy either, unless it's got serious issues.

And yeah, the catalytic makes loads more sense, especially in California! Probably what it is.

Right right... OK cool well yeah out here in my area of Cali. The blue book value is either slightly above or under 2k. Ill have to really inspect it well... hope he doesn't get offended. LOL

Nope... looks like I'm gonna have to continue looking... I found so many more... I'm gonna save up some more money so I have more options... at least $3,000 then ill start looking again... I have $1900 rite now it'll probably take me another month or two... but thank u everyone who gave their input... very useful knowledge that I will b able to use when the time comes...

$3000 is a really REALLY nice WD21, atleast a 95 4x4 se with no more than maybe 160-180,000 miles. I got my 94SE 4x4 auto in good condition power everything with 190,000 miles for 1,800 and that was after I'd talked the guy down from 2,000.

For $3000 you could start looking at 96-98 R50s to a degree. I forget, the houston market has no snow or ice so 4x4 suvs are a little lower in resale cost. When I was scouring craigslist month after month I did test drive two different I think 97 R50s that were around like 2,200 to 2,500 but they had issues.

R50s (96-00, 01?) look great and have more power but they also use a 1st time in the field unibody construction platform to which the ruggedness and offroad-ability is debatable, where as the 87-95 WD21 used a body on frame = real chassis and had classic lines and styling, it's the original kickass tight little offroad-able 4x4 suv with room for more stuff than a couple of passengers like a jeep. I guess Cherokees were okay and fit into the same class but somehow I think our trucks are better than Jeep cherokees. I certainly prefer mine over one anyway.

p.s. Houston also doesn't have the rust problems with our vehicles here because of salt spray! I'd be happy to help any of you get around town here if you search our craigslist ads and ever feel like flying into town to pick up a new rust free ride and drive it back or atleast get it put on a truck. I'm a driver here and I know this town like the back of my hand.

Edited by gv280z

Well now that u guys mention it... I actually found a 95 se 4x4 automatic with 189k (miles) for $1850 post says very reliable, all stock, new tires, interior 7/10 exterior 8/10 looks really clean... I might check it out... its just the price made it sound too good to b true... and you all know how that saying goes