rear tire hitch on a 2000 model

now i have a 2000 pathfinder se with the spare under the truck, i really wanna make it more 4x4 material and put it on a hitch on the tail gate. I have no idea where to get one or where to even start or if there is even such thing for the later modles. if anyone has done this to there 99,00,01 ect please let me know where to start looking and how to come across one.

Thanks

Andrew

If you have a tow package, you can buy a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. Google hitch mounted spare tire carrier.

Probably not the best idea if you offroad a lot, as you lose uphill start angle.

-I have a dealer installed swing out on my 99.5, haven't seen any others around with it. I think it's great...

Only down side is its at least $750.00 plus shipping and its 100 lbs. I'm looking into the one XPLORx4 was talking about

Yes, but that is with a new "real" bumper also, while the "Tire Gate" lists at $675 on 4x4.com.

-If I was to buy another Pathy (I've been thinking about an LE or Qx4 w/3.5L), that TAG bumper would be a nice modification! I don't know what skills would be needed for the install though. I don't weld-so if that's required, add on cost to have a shop do it...

...is Tactical Armor Group still around even?

• 3 weeks later...

The quarter panel reinforcement for the OEM tire carrier hinges is hidden beneath the sheetmetal, above and below the taillight, behind the interior sheetmetal behind the plastic cargo panel. The structural reinforcements are not camera-accessible.

No. When I investigated this possibility 5 years ago, I visited a junkyard and found a model equipped with the rear tire carrier, and I had to reach up into the body cavity behind interior sheetmetal at the D pillar and feel around for the gussets, which seemed to be made of the same gauge metal as the rest of the body. I couldn't determine the shape or dimensions of the gusseting because my hand was blocked by the first/lowest gusset.

Now, if you wanted to cut the corner of the body open, weld in some of your own gussets and then weld the body panel back on, or even just weld in a D-pillar from the rear clip of a Pathy and do the necessary bodywork and paint, you could go that route, but it seems a little overkill to do so, when you could buy or build a custom bumper and carrier for potentially less effort and expense.

Yeah you're right...not worth all the effort. I thought it was simply a dealer install 'accessory' and all cars either came with the reinforcement or something that could be added on. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Yeah you're right...not worth all the effort. I thought it was simply a dealer install 'accessory' and all cars either came with the reinforcement or something that could be added on. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Hehe, yeah that was exactly what I thought as well, when I wanted to add a rear tire carrier a few years ago. That is why I compared my carrier-less Pathy with one that had the carrier installed from the factory, and discovered the extra gusseting under the body that nixed that idea. Instead, my ultimate solution was to simply have a custom bumper/carrier built.

Edited by XPLORx4