frontier nismo

johnm

Hi gang,

We are thinking of trading in my wife's Titan. We found an 2005 Frontier NISMO for $11000 with 112K miles.

My question is does anyone have any advice about Frontiers? Things to look out for? Anyone know if they have a timing belt or chain?

Timing chain, there have been issues with the guides. If it sounds at all like it has a super charger, the guides are failing and its a very expensive fix. Insure they have been replaced before purchase.

There have been some issues with automatics and the radiators, same old Nissan thing. Another big issue just for the 2005 model is they had 2 spider gears instead of 4 and they are prone to breakage. I would check and see if it was an early production model or not.

I really like that generation of Frontier or Xterra, but the 2005 is definitely problematic, so get as much info as you can before purchase.

Yeah, the front dif is an R180. Not particularly strong but I wheeled mine for 5 seasons on 33's with no issues. If one were so inclined, an M205 from a Titan (assuming the gearing matches) can be bolted in utilizing V8 pathy cv's. Or a full Titan swap with M205, Titan UCA's and LCA's and cv's. An OE mid travel SL!

Thanks for the replies.

I sent the sales-dude an email on wednesday and got one back on thursday "oh, um, sorry that truck has been sold for weeks." Which begs the question, who maintains your website? I went through the same thing for weeks looking for my pathfinder. Looks like we are going to have a long search.

Have I mentioned I hate car shopping?