Distributor cap bolt broken. Advice Needed

Leo94

Okay so I was in the process of removing the distributor cap on my 89 terrano vg30i when the screw head stripped. The head was still there but the phillips head part was stripped so I used vice grips to loosen the screws. Not long after the screw head snapped off and that leaves me where I am now. One of them broke flush with the housing and the other left a stud. Is it even worth trying to extract the screws as it seems that the threads are rusted through. How would I go about extracting them as they are very small. Or should i just get a replacement from the wreckers?

20082012195_zpse34e1377.jpg?t=1361942296 20082012196_zps5fa08158.jpg?t=1361942326

Edited by Leo94

I'd drill it out and chase the thread with a tap or drill the whole thing out and retap it for a larger size if you can't get the current hardware out without damaging the hole.

The drill out and tap-nut&bolt ideas are my main suggestions, though the later model distributer will work with a little help and a few parts. MY1PATH did a write up on it I believe (I'll search for it for you in a bit if you can't find it) that I followed when I did mine.

The drill out and tap-nut&bolt ideas are my main suggestions, though the later model distributer will work with a little help and a few parts. MY1PATH did a write up on it I believe (I'll search for it for you in a bit if you can't find it) that I followed when I did mine.

I'm thinking i may go that route. Yeh i just found the topic now after doing a quick search but thanks for bringing it to light.

:aok: a side note if you plan on the mpfi dizzy swap, if your doing a j/y parts collection the front valve cover off a 3.0 quest/villager has the clearance notch in it for the distributer and will bolt on if you don't want to clearance your current one (not that it's hard to do honestly) and you get the (pointless) benefit of having 2 710 caps!

what they said,

my first thought before reading the replies was drill it out and tap it to a larger size, taps are available from any hardware store.

Edited by ahardb0dy