KA24DE Swap!

conor1123

Hey guys, I've been searching around for a while now regarding some info about a swap like this and was looking for some input. (first post!)

I currently have a 1993 auto 4x4 pathy. Looking at buying a ka24de from an 240sx. Only problem is, i want to convert it to a 5 speed but keep the 4x4 status.

Which means (i think?) I would have to pull a tranny + transfer case from a 4x4 hardbody/pickup that has a ka24de/ka24e since i cant mate a KA to a v6 tranny.

Oil pan isnt really an issue because i have a buddy that can fab a new one.

I will probably be going with a KA from a 240 rather than a frontier just because of availability in my area.

Just wondering if anyone had any useful info and/or some problems i might run into. Any input is appreciated :)

I would have to pull a tranny + transfer case from a 4x4 hardbody/pickup that has a ka24de/ka24e since i cant mate a KA to a v6 tranny.

That sounds right to me. No input other than that, just one question. Why not just get a vg?

I had a feeling I would get those questions :P Im not entirely sure, just wanted to do something different I guess and just to have a project to work on.

How much power can the vg take without building? I was looking into some forced induction mainly. KA was just more available and modding it seemed cheaper + its not a bad engine :D

And it seems like going for a turbo setup isnt too common. I wasnt quite planning on doing any kind of hardcore offroading, maybe some sand dunes or something :laugh:

Unless you guys think i can do wonders with the vg, let me know!

Edited by conor1123

IMO, the VG30 struggles enough moving these things around. The KA isnt going to solve anything. I'd go the VG33 route.

Yeah, i agree. But when i swap that KA in there it definitely wont be stock. Would probably build it.

You could swap a Club Cadet riding mower engine in there, and it wouldn't be stock either. :D And given that you wouldn't have to swap in a new computer, it would probably be simpler, too.

I figure, if you're going to put that much work into something, it should be somehow better when it's done. Better mileage, power, something. From what I've heard, the KA's mileage is comparable to the VG, and a built KA puts out about what a stock VG puts out.

If you want a challenge... put a VQ up in there!

Well i have a 370z too so that could be possible LOL

And remember, if i did the KA i would be throwing a turbo on it trying to push around 300hp. So it wont really be a downgrade in the end, just work :)

Unless someone can point me into the right direction to turbo the VG ! :lmao:

Edited by conor1123

Not gonna say don't do it, heck I'm all for someone wrenching on their stuff :beer:

Why not try to find a frame rotted KA powered hardbody, then you'll have all the basic necessities :aok:

I was just curious, not trying to start an argument. IMO, if you want more stuff to mess with get the ka24de and turbo it, just don't expect to find all the answers on here cause very few people go that route. If you want a decent power increase without too much work put in a vg33 from an r50 pathy.

Edited by rwd5021

I was just curious, not trying to start an argument. IMO, if you want more stuff to mess with get the ka24de and turbo it, just don't expect to find all the answers on here cause very few people go that route. If you want a decent power increase without too much work put in a vg33 from an r50 pathy.

This is exactly what I planned on doing with the KA. But yeah, more work.

I think this is a brilliant idea. I am not as mechanically gifted as some of you, but I've driven 2 brand new till death hard bodys and now on my second pathfinder.

I had a 95 s14 240sx. with a ka24de when I started the bolt ons they were incredibly noticeable. i could chirp 3rd gear with 295/45/17 inch tires. in a 4banger... then i added a 75hp shot of nitrous and would destroy a bottle in a weekend. the car would just take a beating day in and day out.

the vg is 0.6 litres bigger and has 2 more cylinders. the stock outputs are nearly identical. I personally feel the ka24de is a better engine. its more reliable can handle a lot of added power..... you even get 2 cams to play with.... i know there are some weight differences between the vehicles. but i never ever ever ever ever ever had to gear down going up a hill. like i do in my pathy.

i think this would be a fantastic conversion.

and if i had the resources i would probably try and slide an sr20det motor in there. light, powerful and solid. i personally feel the vg engine is one of the worst engines ever built by nissan..... considering they are responsible for giving us the sr20 and vq series, it makes you wonder who managed to convince top brass that the vg was amazing.

this is purely opinion guys.

good luck man, I would love to see the switch

I had a 95 s14 240sx. with a ka24de when I started the bolt ons they were incredibly noticeable. i could chirp 3rd gear with 295/45/17 inch tires.

i personally feel the vg engine is one of the worst engines ever built by nissan.....

How much does a 240 weigh?

How much does a Pathfinder weigh?

The VG is one of the worst engines? Its no powerhouse, but there are a bunch of them running around with 250-300k on them, and the owner of that vehicle would surely disagree with you.

• Like 1

How much does a 240 weigh?

How much does a Pathfinder weigh?

The VG is one of the worst engines? Its no powerhouse, but there are a bunch of them running around with 250-300k on them, and the owner of that vehicle would surely disagree with you.

ya i said I know there are some weight differences. I sold my 240sx with 260,000kms. i added nitrous at 120,000kms. my parents maxima has 285,000kms and is still their 'winter' car.

i love nissans, I'm a huge huge fan. but I really think the vg is kind of like the poor son who came from the shallow end of the gene pool. his older brothers excelled at academics AND athletics. and the vg is the little emo brother listening to his earphones in the corner reading a graphic novel...... all frail and pasty.

Edited by banx

The VG has been around since the mid 80's. Different configurations of it have been put in a variety of cars. Its truly been an all around engine that served Nissan well. Are you complaining about the Pathfinder version? Or the VG itself?

Both the VG and KA are bullet proof motors, at least in N/A form. The VG is actually a little bit more efficient than the KA but the KA has much less maintenance (it's a timing chain driven camshaft) and is simpler with its 4 cylinders. V-slant engines are always more efficient than in-lines but much more complicated and harder to deal with. In terms of power the KA24E has slightly less torque than the VG30E that you will feel the difference on in a Pathfinder. However, the KA24DE is just on par with the VG30E (or in some cases even better) in reality despite a 20 ft lbs peak torque difference. Only thing is since the KA24DE was introduced around OBD II season, you will need the appropriate computer to run it (so you can take advantage of the benefits when using dual camshafts).

Going turbo might be a little peaky. Many turbo 4 cylinder engines have a very peaky power band so they are not very easy to drive.

The other thing is PRICE. VGs are crazy expensive to build and get power out of. The KAs, not so much. This has to do with the size of the intake/exhaust valves. The VG has tiny valves to improve low end power but it can be a dog for top end power unless it's boosted.

The swap will definitely work out. It would be nice to see something different. Someone else swapped a VG30DETT on here! A KA24DET should be pretty fun to do.

i'm just crying about the vg in the pathy..... my wifes tired of my complaining, and I kinda think your guys' shoulders can handle my tears better

I do have to throw in an 'edit'..... I did some research after jibber jabbin and the vg isn't THAT bad.... though I really think this engine was always meant to have a turbo. apparantly it was introduced to the masses with a turbo shortly after debuting, which is contrary to a few other engines nissan (or even other companies) have debuted...........like that damn ka24de

some of the most successful versions of this engine were also in a few of their most popular vehicles. 200z, 300zx for instance.

I still think that the swap would be brilliant. and the ka with 2.5" full exhaust and header sounds fantastic for a 4 banger. it does not have that ricer sound at all.

Edited by banx

Anyone know much about the KA 4x4 tranny? I've been on a KA forum and im getting some feedback saying the 4v4 tranny from the KA isnt as strong as the 240sx tranny and it could be a problem if im shooting for 300+ hp.

240sx 71Cs tend to snap output shafts... if you can do it I'd swap 300ZX 71C internals into the 4x4 case.

VGs are strong and literally BEG for boost. I have a bone stock '86 VG30ET running 17PSI and it's been lovin it for like 7 years now. They seriously need cams though, the power falls off at 5,500RPM. A good set of Schneiders or the like (the like way more expensive) will open it up to 7K.

• Like 1

The only thing that seems to be iffy with the VG30E and VG30ET engines is the size and material of the crankshaft. I heard they will take up to 500 HP just fine but anything after that is going to be short lived. :shrug: