offroading hood placement

Nice186

come on now, it's about the light placement not the 90's look, Geez !! LOL

I have a few more Nissan pics from that calendar, all hardbody's but they are pretty cool. Going to see if I can get them scanned at work on a larger scanner. Or I'll see if I can take pics of them and than upload them.

I think Tungsten's talking about the three fake air vents in the hood. (They don't actually pass air.)

Yes, that. They just pop out from behind and are sturdy enough to hold something without moving around.

and if you make a pair of mounts like Hayseed did you wouldn't have to modify anything, as was said they probably bolt to one of the fender bolts and just sit in the gap between the hood and fender, kind of like some of the CB antenna mounts that are out there.

I was leaning toward hood placement and not fender placement. That works but it's not a really good spot for a light because it's going to reflect off the hood rather than off the road.

Here is the pic, I couldn't fit the whole thing in my scanner so I made sure to get the lights and the girl !! Figured the rear could be cut off, LOL

2luc11i.jpg

this sir is pretty &^%*ing awesome!!!! wow! never would of thought of this! lol i like the idea!

keep the pics coming! haha

Yes, that. They just pop out from behind and are sturdy enough to hold something without moving around.

I was leaning toward hood placement and not fender placement. That works but it's not a really good spot for a light because it's going to reflect off the hood rather than off the road.

yes i hear you on the vents on the front of the hood but i do have a bull guard so i can just place them there, but i already have two lights on there but i will look into the hood placement your talking about

heres how my truck looks like now

540250_3415469947491_109719991_n.jpg

432140_3411224641361_289729949_n.jpg

as you can tell i can place them on the top bar of the bull guard but that will be in the way of my view? but the hood vents seem father away so ill look into that

• Like 1

You can place them on top of the brush guard too. That would be a more ideal place if you plan to run the guard. I was just thinking more rally style placement since rally cars don't have brush guards.

So you have 4 lights on top & 2 in the brush guard, how many more do you want to add anyway?? If you need more light than what you have now I would recommend converting the stock headlights over to hardbody style and putting a set of Hella conversion headlights in with 60/100 watt bulbs.

You could also leave the 2 on the brush guard where they are and add 2 more on top of the bottom tube, all you need to do is run a piece of steel between the 2 light tabs and than drill and bolt on 2 more lights, the negative about doing that is it blocks the grille.

So you have 4 lights on top & 2 in the brush guard, how many more do you want to add anyway?? If you need more light than what you have now I would recommend converting the stock headlights over to hardbody style and putting a set of Hella conversion headlights in with 60/100 watt bulbs.

You could also leave the 2 on the brush guard where they are and add 2 more on top of the bottom tube, all you need to do is run a piece of steel between the 2 light tabs and than drill and bolt on 2 more lights, the negative about doing that is it blocks the grille.

I was thinking about doing the hardbody head lights. I really do like the look of it but what hella lights are you talking about? I never heard of hella making a whole headlight set up for the hardbody? Unless ur talking about the bulb. Can't you also do a easier hid upgraded with the hardbody lens?

After checking on ebay for hardbody hid kits some say the housing is 7x6 and some say its 4x6? I would like to change my grille to a harbody style one later with a hid kit but I thought that they all use the same housing?

When doing the hardbody conversion I believe you have to change the radiator support as well as the grille and headlight assemblies. Thought about doing it myself but after weighing it out it was not something high on my priority list.

No need for rad support swap, it's wiring a pair of pigtails and a couple bolts/screws. A few of us have done them and anyone who has would be glad to help walk you through it if you decide to :aok:

Yes those are the Hella conversion headlights I was recommending, they are USA legal but have a clearer lens (less fluting) and they take a H4 bulb, the bulbs come in all different wattages from completely legal to crazy, I had 55 watt low/100 watt high bulbs in the one's I had in my old hardbody.

Hella has halogen bulbs in 55/60, 55/100, 90/130 I stayed with the legal low beam wattage and the 100 watt high beams were nice.

Hella also sells a European version of this headlight, not legal for US use but don't think anyone will bother you as long as they are aimed properly. They have them on E-bay once in a while.

This is the US version:

2u60e1k.jpg

This is the European version, notice how the lenses are different:

s4xkd0.jpg

Here's my 94 pathfinder with the hardbody headlight and aftermarket grille conversion:

11s2tdv.jpg

This concludes the Hella advertisement, YES I like them !! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yes those are the Hella conversion headlights I was recommending, they are USA legal but have a clearer lens (less fluting) and they take a H4 bulb, the bulbs come in all different wattages from completely legal to crazy, I had 55 watt low/100 watt high bulbs in the one's I had in my old hardbody.

Hella has halogen bulbs in 55/60, 55/100, 90/130 I stayed with the legal low beam wattage and the 100 watt high beams were nice.

Hella also sells a European version of this headlight, not legal for US use but don't think anyone will bother you as long as they are aimed properly. They have them on E-bay once in a while.

This is the US version:

2u60e1k.jpg

This is the European version, notice how the lenses are different:

s4xkd0.jpg

Here's my 94 pathfinder with the hardbody headlight and aftermarket grille conversion:

11s2tdv.jpg

This concludes the Hella advertisement, YES I like them !! LOL

i really like the look of this! i might wanna do this! and the grille is awesome! too bad they dont make it anymore...

I think the European one's are designed for driving on the other side of the road.

I will be getting the Hella headlights eventually, right now have normal sealed beams in there, nice cause the glass doesn't get that yellow look

yes i hear you on the vents on the front of the hood but i do have a bull guard so i can just place them there, but i already have two lights on there but i will look into the hood placement your talking about

as you can tell i can place them on the top bar of the bull guard but that will be in the way of my view? but the hood vents seem father away so ill look into that

I recommend putting them on the bull bar, they won't interfere with vision. Only issue is that you said they are HID? Make sure the ballast in the back clears the hood. My 4" Hella Optilux didn't so I had to put them on the bottom deck until I make some mounting brackets for them. It'll look something like this...

Contest.jpg

B

Oh, have you upgraded the stock headlight wiring yet? It makes a big difference.

As was said, ultimately, how many lights do you need? :lol:

Edited by Precise1
  • Like 1

Has anyone thought about attempting a side-view mirror and spotlight swap from a crown vic police interceptor? i've never seen the interior half of them, so i have no idea if its even plausible... but if you swap out the bulb for a higher wattage one it might be pretty handy

For a moment there, I thought that was my truck.

• Like 1

Yup, the grill was made by a company from Italy, long time ago. Lights are Carello

So like every other Wop product they simply gain style with age?

Isnt there a HB on NOR with twin or quad spots mounted in the center of the hood. The trucks maroon, I used to have a photo someplace but it was an interesting look and it looked very funcinal.

Just wondering how this thread is already 3 pages long?

And people please dont encourage the Troll (AKA Tungsten)

Edicer2's light package is also great looking with how he has real back up lights.

if anyone was wondering i listened to what precise1 said and place them on the top of the bull guard and to thehuntersam i think i saw a video of your truck on youtube, which is where i got alot of my ideas from!

431107_3477962669770_1211893798_n.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, have you upgraded the stock headlight wiring yet? It makes a big difference.

I second this!

296971_10150296452669075_1629930489_n.jpg

These were taken at the same time using the same exposure and aperture (same camera settings).

301259_10150272386844075_3031587_n.jpg

I made my own harness.

• Like 1