CV Axles still good after 140,000 miles?

snow4me

Finally putting my Pathy back together after several months of downtime due to strut rot and limited funds to finish up my AC lift. I had planned on replacing my CV axles but they seem to be tight and the boots still in good condition. Should I reuse them or should I just spring for a fresh set of GSP axles? The extra $120 in cost doesn't worry me as much as putting it back together and having an axle fail soon. I'm really getting sick of having the vehicle apart and don't want to work on the suspension for a long time!!! I really don't have the desire to replace the boots and regrease the CV's either. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm tired, LOL. Thanks, Daryl

If you don't care about the cost, I say replace them. Obviously keep your old ones for trail spares, but of course they will have wear at 140k miles unless you have manual locking hubs.

Safe than sorry in my book and I say this with a R50 with 170k on it (last 10k with manual hubs) with what I assume are the stock CVs

Note to anyone with a 1996-2004, get a set of manual hubs. You can get them for under $100, you will instantly get better mileage (1-3 MPG), especially on the highway and you will not wear your CVs during normal driving.

The good news is that if you ever have to work on it again soon, you are familiar with it and everything has been apart recently so shouldn't be rusted together.

B