Metal door handle

brix542

On my driver side door, ive had problems with the exterior handle breaking off. Part of the cause is pressure on my door from somewhere(which im trying to figure out) that causes you to have to pull harder on the handle. But the other cause is that the replacement handles are made out of plastic and look cheaply made. Is there anywhere i can get a all metal handle?

Thanks trog. Hopefully this pair will last. Replaced the drivers side 2 times since the last december and it halfway broke again tonight. Guess i really need to figure out why the door is hard to open.

Open your door, and then lift on it. Does it move up and down quite a bit? Could possibly be your door hinge pins need replacing. Pretty common for WD21's (and D21's...I had to do it to my previous truck) and its a cheap and easy fix. Could just be a part of the inner door linkage bent, maybe the latch mechanism itself is bad or just needs greased?

My hinges are flogged out, and it opens fine... my guess is that the problem is in the door.

My Hardbody had basically dug itself into the door striker, thus making the door hard to open.

I actually replaced the hinge pins on the door a week ago. Had a good 1-3 inch of play and now if you lift on the door you lift the body as well. The metal hoop that the door latches onto was gouged bad so i replaced it with the one of my parts truck. It has slight scraping on it but was alot better then the other. Im thinking that maybe this isnt in the right place?

The door handles have a spring underneath that can break out of its place. My driver door handle's spring broke like a year ago and I've been lazy about replacing it. I can't find non broken door handles at junkyards. RockAuto has aftermarket handles, maybe I'll try one.

As said, the chrome handles are metal (more a hot wheels quality pot metal but metal none the less) and a strength upgrade. I have them in my truck (and actually gave all my black plastic ones to members here) and you can paint them if chrome handles are too shiny for you

Is it locked or just stuck where it wont open? When i replaced the hinge pins my dad closed the door before i could hook up the piece that stops it from opening too much and the door got stuck closed. Had to push the door in and then pull the handle and open it.

The inside of the door is a mess of little metal rods and plastic tabs that help attach the rods to the lock cylinder, handle, latch, etc. When you pull up on the lock do you feel resistance?

OP....open the door handle as far as you can towards the back of the vehicle...I have replaced several and had one on there that was broken for a while on the front hinge but I kept opening it at the rear and it worked fine until a friend snatched it off the door

uncc, thats what ive started doing since i last replaced it. Forgot to do this yesterday when responding to a fire call. I dont mind doing this but something doesnt seem right with the door. Handle easy to pull till the very end then real hard and opens with a pop.

Once the new handles come in il give everything inside a look at and spray the moving parts. From looking as i close the door the striker seems to be allinged with the latch. Could being to far in or out cause this?

Anything that puts tension on the latch, being up or down or too far in can cause it to "pop" when it releases. If the body line lines up when the door is closed the striker is probably adjusted properly up and down. Don't forget the strikers when new have a rubber/plastic covering on them.

My door has all sorts of problems as well, and its the hinge pins. I can move the door up and down a couple inches.

Unfortunately now that I live in an apartment I have lost my tools and workshop to the storage place :(. I had replaced the door handle, pulled the entire latch assembly, soaked in degreaser, cleaned, regreased, worked great for about 3 months, and then suddenly one day stopped. Broke the hnadlle again lol. I wonder what the stealership would charge to replace the pins.

Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to replace them?