Cruise Resume/Accel not working

Nate94XE4x2

I've done a search and haven't come up with anything specific to this. So...

My Set/Decel and my Cancel steering wheel cruise buttons work fine, but my Res/Accel button does not (very sketchily did once or twice at one point). I have replaced both the steering wheel switches and the cruise control module. I believe I have tested, at the cruise module, for continuity across the contacts for the Res/Accel button being pressed and was able to measure it being pressed.

Minor aside: Occasionally, when I Set the cruise, I get a steadily flashing dash "CRUISE" indicator. Turning off the main cruise switch and back on clears this up.

Anyone hear of this particular malady? I suppose I should take the steering wheel off and clean contacts, but I did see continuity back at the module.

At the very least, I can still Set it and Cancel without having to tap the brakes, it holds just fine once set, I just can't Resume back to speed once cancelled.

The rings behind the dash can be intermittent when dirty, as in they might test good, but when you swing the wheel around they pop in and out. The flashing cruise light shows up in a troubleshooting chart in the FSM on page EL-64, so I'd start there. :)

Edited by Slartibartfast

if the cruise control isn't working at all....try checking the rubber pad on the brake pedal arm....if it's missing/dry rotted and fell off....then the cruise control will think the brake are being applied and therefore not operate. (there's a cruise control switch on the brake pedal that stays depressed when the pedal is in the full up position)

That's what happened on my 1990. Replaced the rubber pad (I just went ahead and replaced ALL the rubber switch pads on the brake and clutch pedals) and problem solved.

I had a problem on my 94 where sometimes the cruise buttons would work and other times they wouldn't, turned out the part with the rings on the back of the steering wheel weren't making good contact with the pins, I ended up spacing the plastic part out just less than 1/4" and now it works, horn was intermittent also.

Being your cruise light is blinking I think it would not be the rings causing the problem. I would as was suggested go thru the diagnostic in the FSM.

Don't think it would be the rubber stopper as OP said "My Set/Decel and my Cancel steering wheel cruise buttons work fine, but my Res/Accel button does not"

PROBLEM SOLVED! Finally pulled the steering wheel last night. Of the 3 copper spring-loaded pins that make contact with the rings on the back of the steering wheel, the outtermost pin had been ground down so far that it no longer was long enough to make contact with its ring... like so far down that the center indent on the pin was completely flat! Other two pins still looked fine. Tons of copper "dust" all over everything, something must have gotten in there and acted like sandpaper on that one pin. Now that I think about it, I do remember scraping noises at some point. I guess I was seeing things when I thought I tested for continuity.

The easiest fix is probably to get another pin assembly from the junk yard. However, this was at 10PM and I wanted it to work RIGHT DAMN NOW. So I hacked that bitch. Took a piece of 12ga solid copper wire, the width of which was exactly the difference in length between the worn down pin and the others, and folded the very tip of it back on itself as tightly as I could to make a little copper wire circle roughly the diameter of the pin. Clipped the circle off of the wire, then soldered it to the tip of the pin as straight as I could. Used a file and filed off excess solder and copper so that it would fit through the pin hole... filed the face flat and even beveled the rim like the other pins were and drilled some of the solder out of the center of the wire circle to match the indentation in the center of the other pins. Put it back together, cleaned up the rings on the back of the wheel, put down a thin layer of teflon grease on the rings, and put it all back together. Ta-da, Resume/Acc works!

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Like 1