leaking again

mudfinder

hey guys, i don't know if you guys remember but a while ago, i posted up that my truck had tranny oil underneith the truck. well, yesterday, i drove out to the desert, it's about 1 hour away. anyway, about 20mins. into the driving, i notice smoke behind me, so i pull over. when i stopped, there was smoke comming from the shifter and vents. i went down to peak, it was soaking wet w/ motor oil and tranny oil. i'm seriously sick of this truck, any ideas on what's going on? i couldn't figure out what the problem was or where it was leaking from, i was obvisioly low on both oil. help

The obvious answer is to get under there, see where it's leaking from and then determine if the fluid level of the leaking equipment is low. Some leaking seals are tough to replace, some aren't. It's wierd that it would leak, and then not leak, and then leak again. Any special conditions you went through before you noticed the smoke?

well, it's real hard to find the troubled spot because everything is wet. front fender well, all the way to the rear end. i had my uncle take a look at it he said that you might of put too many quarts of oil. he asked me my driving conditions. it was uphill most of the time, before i noticed smoke, i kept punching it, it was shifting from 4th the 3rd, i think i'll call that hard driving. after i pulled over, check it out and continued, i drove it extra easy, and no leak. i'm guess, may be the oil got real hot and when it gets hot it expands and shoot out of the overflow vent or whatever it's call. do we have thoughs? another, our pathys take 6 quarts right? i'm starting to feel like an idiot. that might explain the motor, but what about the tranny? i can't figure that one out. the last time the tranny oil was serviced was when i got it rebuild.

Oh my Mudfinder... I hope you still have engine seals left !! If you are ever in doubt, post, and I'll tell you the recommended fluid quantity. Just want to let you enjoy your ride, not spray oil all over the road for motorcyclists like me who you could KILL !!! No joke Bud, I've hit the oily $hit many times, but ONLY crashed twice. Once was only $800 in damage and the other was only $1500 damage and a dislocated shoulder, then counting 6 weeks off of work. Sorry if this seems personal, it's not, it's a RANT !!! Anyone who willingly drips/sprays/leaks or otherwise deposits significant amounts of automotive fluid on the road ways, please tell me your address, and I will swiftly and happily arrive at your abode to fix the problem. (WARNING: the fix may have NOTHING to do with your vehicle...)

Bernard

well, the leak isn't comming from oil filter but it's comming from the oil pan. the oil pan gasket is basically gone. did that today and so far no leak.

Anyone who willingly drips/sprays/leaks or otherwise deposits significant amounts of automotive fluid on the road ways, please tell me your address, and I will swiftly and happily arrive at your abode to fix the problem. (WARNING: the fix may have NOTHING to do with your vehicle...)
well, sh!t happens, that's why we have erasers on pencils. i'm a motorcycler rider myself too. i'm not willingly dripping/spraying/leaking oil on purpose man, c'mon.
(WARNING: the fix may have NOTHING to do with your vehicle...)

if that has nothing to do w/ my vehicle then what does it have to do w/ bro?

Sorry, mudfinder, I was not attacking you personally, just making a general statement, hence the 'sorry if this seems personal, it's not' comment. I also did not say you did this on purpose.... Glad you fixed the leak easily.

I have met many people who willingly 'fix' leaks by adding a quart every few days; those are who I was adddressing in the general statement. I have asked these people "what about motorcyclists" and the response is usually "oh, never thought about that". Thats beyond stupid....

I'll tone it down a bit, but this kind of behavior has cost me a lot of time, money and pain; I got carried away.

Benard