could it be the end?

Chriskaw440

Lately my 1990 SE engine has started "motorboating" during its warm up and doesn't run smooth until FULLY warmed up.....it sounds like a steady motor boat rythym and is lacking power when trying to drive it. Kinda like only every other cylinder is firing or at least one is low on compression or something. Not smoking or leaking any fluids. All typical tune up items are up to date.

runs better once warmed up because the engine parts have expanded to their operating temperature and possibly closed whatever leak there may be? it has 265,000+ miles and original engine.

If its sounding like its on its last legs.....she will become a donor vehicle or sold for best offer. I have another newer vehicle now and can't afford to pump money into the pathy and be without a ride while its torn

apart or rebuilt.

Just fired it up today to check around while on lunch....still a steady "PULSATING" rythym / misfire throughout the range....vacuum lines seem normal, played around with maf harness...no different. Didn't have time to check codes since its old-school and couldnt find my tiny screwdriver to turn the knob on the ECU.

Didn't have time to check codes since its old-school and couldnt find my tiny screwdriver to turn the knob on the ECU.

I've turned my knob with my finger....and honestly it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Doesn't really sound like an actual engine problem. Sounds like bad plugs or wires, pump, filter, etc. That kind of generally cheap stuff.

Possibly the Coolant Temp Sensor since you say it's fine when fully warmed up. Pretty symptomatic of that.

If you're not able to run a compression test, pull the fuel pump fuse or the main coil wire and crank it over for a while. You'll hear a solid miss in the cranking cycle if there is one.