Input sought on front axle replacement...or not...

piste

At least one CV boot is torn on my '97SE...they are likely all due for some TLC. My local garage guy...who is usually spot on and reliable...suggests that since the job requires pulling the axles that I'd be "better off" just replacing the entire thing with remanufactured axle sets. In part he's wondering about the condition of the 15 year old axles. I dunno...I'm thinking I should keep my Nissan axles and just do a boot repair job even though net cost will end up likely the same. Reason I'm leaning toward this is that I'm thinking Nissan OEM axles HAVE to be a lot more stout than an aftermarket reman one. no? I have no reason to believe there are any issues or problems with my current axles. So ...question is...do a CV boot repair job or replace with reman'ed axles...assuming cost is the same for each job.??? Thoughts?

Torn boot = Dirt Ingress. As such the dirt will eventually ruin the CVs even if you seal them up now (boot repair). The time frame depends on [a] how much dirt has gotten in there, how much you use 4x4, and [c] what speeds you drive at in 4x4.

I have a torn boot now, but I primarily only use 4x4 offroad at slow speeds maybe about twice a year. So for me....it doesn't make sense to do anything until it starts making noise and I know its going bad.

Edited by andreus009

If you rebuild your axles, be sure to due both boots on each axle. Almost all aftermarket CV's are Nissan axles anyways. Nissan axles are tough, but damage is damage. I have rebuilt my axles several times after off roading. For $20 more bucks, I just put in new axles(rebuilt). Nice part is, the place I got them from has a lifetime warranty on the boots and CV's! Most places offer this, so shop around!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

andreus009, What does use of 4x4 have an impact on,,,in terms of wear or degradation...given the front axles are turning all the time anyway? In any event....I basically never "wheel"...just use 4wd a handful of times in the snow in winter to go skiing.

I'm Not hearing any noise whatsoever...the boot(s) that are torn are basically just a circumferential tear around the collar. So as far as I know..little opportunity for dirt to get in.....no reason to think there are any issues with the CVs themselves....all I need/plan to do is get the boot kits and replace those...greasing etc.

My mechanic's logic was....for about the same cost of pulling the axles and labor to replacing all the boots....given a "possibility" of contamination of the CVs why not just pull the axles and throw in reman'ed axles that are obviously already assembled (ie. no labor to replace boots).

BTW...if i do just the boots....I'm gonna do all four for sure....whilst also repacking bearings, and replacing rotors/pads....original '97 rotors BTW...about 150K miles on em.