starter swap without removing the oil filter?

Balln

Hey guys quick question I keep reading how everyone takes the oil filter off to swap the starter. I have a free oil change at my local Nissan and would like to swap my starter before i take it to them. Or can I take my oil filter off with out it completely draining and swap new starter then take it to Nissan?

When i replaced my starter bout a month ago all i did was drop the front skid and wiggle it straight out the front and this was on a 1994 SE with an auto trans. May take a lil longer depending on how difficult it feels like being that day but fairly easy to do. Just gotta watch were your hands go. Some stuff under the truck seems to like to gouge them.

Yeah mine is a 94 auto with a body lift hehehe forgot to mention that part. So I should be able to squeeze it out between the bottom of the wheel well and top of frame?

I imagine with the bodylift it would make it alot easier then it was for me. Just take your front skid off and then unbolt the starter and slide it striaght foreward. WIth a lil wiggling it should slip right out. The wires should be long anough to extend out the front which makes it easy to disconnect them.

I think there are fuel and brake lines that are still in the way with a body lift so you can't pull it out the wheel well, but please, feel free to prove me wrong! :D

With the body lift, it's not hard to walk it out the front. Not nearly as tight as stock...

B

I just swapped a starter on a '94 with an auto trans yesterday. No body lift and I didn't pull the filter. It's tight, but doable. You can unbolt the motor assembly from the gear drive and that will cut the size of the starter in half.

Mine was fairly easy compared to what you guys are saying.. My starter went out and my Pathy is stock height.. I unplugged the starter connection s and oil pressure connector and twisted and turned it, pulled on the tranny line in the way and it came right out.. Did the exact opposite and the new one went right in.. I didn't remove my oil filter.. Has anyone not tried it this way? The center link seemed like the only thing that would get in the way unless you move the tranny lines like I did.. Also the truck was driven up on ramps and not lifted up (may make a difference in steering/suspension placement)

hope this helps!

I did mine the same way nismo. Just didnt pull anything but the starter bolts. Wiggled it out the front and was good to go. Only took 10ish mins of tugging and "persuasive words" and i had it out.