General questions

csutke

So I know this has all been covered before, and I knew the answers at one point but have since forgotten. I'm looking at picking up another 98 that is "naked" no roof rack, no flares, basic wheels etc.... So here's my questions and yes I know there's gonna be a lot.

Will 31's fit on a non lifted pathy, having to cut the inner fenders isn't a problem to me.

The stock 5 spoke Chrome wheels, what is the backspacing on them?

What can I paint these wheels with that will stick? Or would something like getting them powder coated be a better option depending on the price?

When looking at the AC lift, the website says that you must use a wheel with at least 3.75" back spacing. Why is this?

Are the camber alignment bolts something that really should be purchased? ( on my old one I didn't have thre and had no problems)

I remember on my old one that i had a K&N intake, do they still make this? I was looking on k&n's website and they didn't list anything other than a replacement drop in filter and AC doesn't have a kit but they do have an adapter but no filter to go with it.

Are the cross bars on the roof rack universal? Meaning can I get some from a newer model and have them fit? Or would you suggest on getting thule bars and what not?

Has anyone used the universal fender flare kit on one of these? I really want to add flares to it for looks but no one seams to carry the stock flares. Or an aftermarket flare. Does anyone know if any of the bush wacker flares will fit?

It has manual widows and locks is it possible to add power widows and locks? Would it even be worth it?

Again sorry for all the questions but any answers would be great. And any opinions would be great as well. The only reason that I'm looking at this one and not one that is not naked is the price and mileage. It's got 100k on it, timing belt just done, newer tires, 5 speed, and one owner, well maintained and I will prob pick it up for around 2k and will have close to 2k to spend customizing it.

Oh and my plans right now for it are grind off the Chrome on the bumpers, and herc them, tint the windows, bug flector, fender flares of some sort, possibly paint the wheels or get some black steelies, roof rack of some sort, k&n if possible, warn hubs, and prob some sort of aftermarket deck.

Well I will answer what I know.

Many people have run 31's at stock height with various wheels and widths, including myself for a while.

My stock 5 spoke alloys (although not chrome, more of a mate silver) were 5.75" backspace.

The requirement for 3.75" backspace wheels according to AC is kinda not true, the lift will go on just fine with stock wheel backspace, it's the larger tires they assume you will be running that make that somewhat needed. If you can run your tire size without the AC lift, then you don't need different wheels.

Camber bolts hehe, I bought 4 to replace all factory cabmer bolts on mine, after doing the lift I think I could have gotten away with 1 per side. They might not be needed, but trying to put your pathy together is a bad time to find out you do.

As for the rest, I don't know.

Yeah I know that getting power widows was kinda of a pipe dream. But one can always hope right.

Here are the wheels that it has

PF_005.jpg

Is there a way to take the finish off and paint them. This is what I would be doing with the bumpers and was wondering if it would be the same process for the wheels and what would be the best type of paint to stick?

Anybody have answers to any of the other questions? Please.

As for taking the finnish off the wheels for painting, it's not gonna be easy and I'm not sure if there is a way to totaly "strip" chrome off as you would any other finish. The mad scientist in me has me thinking perhaps an acid bath, or reverse engineering the chroming prosses to take it off. Giving it a good cleaning and then wire brushing or sanding/sand blasting to rough up the chrome so paint will grab is probably the best option. Coating the wheels in somthing called "plasti-dip" has some believers. Heck some people spray their whole car with it.

Plasti-dip thread http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/32634-looking-for-new-wheels-recommendations/

Edited by clkindred

Concentrated Sulfuric acid should strip that chrome right off... But that wouldn't be very safe.

Scratch it up with scotch bright then use a metal primer and paint away.