Don't know if this has been covered, tranny coolers tube and fin VS plate style

ahardb0dy

Sorry if this has been covered already, so was looking on a web site last night and they had a comparison between the tube and fin style VS the plate style, so what is the general consensus in regards to the two different types?

Here is the chart I was looking at:

29njvw4.jpg

I've read of anecdotal reports that stacked plate type coolers can clog easier due to the smaller passages. I have no idea whether this is true; the issue is probably a moot point if you install an additional filter in the cooling circuit.

Most (all?) B&M stacked plate coolers have a bypass to allow for quicker warm up when the fluid is cold.

I run a stacked plate cooler on my Pathfinder after the stock radiator cooler and have a Magnefine on the return line after the aux cooler. Seems to work just fine.

I believe it's fairly common (not so common usually) knowledge that the plate style coolers are far more efficient than tube and fin. but like Towncivilian said, the plate style has smaller passages, but more of them. So they may or may not be more prone to clogging?

Plate style coolers are used in most OEM applications and I believe it's due to their small size.

Edited by silverton

I don't know of any scientific testing that proves it but I've read many places that due to the shape of the passages in plate type coolers their efficiency goes way down when the fluid is cold. That means they don't tend to over-cool as much in cold weather and supposedly the fluid will come up to temp more quickly vs. a tube type cooler. I run a 24k rated Hayden plate type cooler and Amsoil synthetic ATF in my Pathy. I highly recommend this combo for anyone that wheels their Pathy hard. The torque converter generates most of the heat in an automatic and it's working HARD crawling over rocks and stumps!

I ran an 18k tube/fin style cooler on my old Pathfinder, never saw temps over 180 when on the trail. around 150-160 when cruising on the freeway. I run a 16k tube/fin style cooler on my current pathfinder, but haven't taken any readings of transmission temp.

I run a B&M stacked plate (forget the BTUs) but it's a small little unit (~ 6"x8"?) out front of the rad where it works at 100% efficiency. The stock cooler in the rad is bypassed. Temp is ~150 cruisin' through the mountains pulling a 4x8' utility trailer w/ two motorcycles on it. Works well in the cold winter weather we have here and doesn't make for difficult or hard shifting. I'd put that on if I was to do it all over again.