Spark plug change interval

vanuatoo

Hello,

I've got 2003 SE 4wd with 71,000 miles.

I guess spark plugs has not been changed in this vehicle because when I bought it in 2008 car had 44,000 miles on it.

Owners Manual says to replace them at 105,000 miles but is it also dependent on time?

Car will turn 10 next April.

Car has no noticable problems, no codes, runs fine.

I have changed mine twice (albeit, the second time was trouble shooting a bad timing belt) and I've 170,xxx miles. It wouldn't hurt to change them. Its better to do preventative maintenance now than to wait for a problem to arise.

• Like 1

I'm going to change them at 105,000 (I guess I will hit that mileage in 3 years when vehicle is 12 years old)

Just wanted to know if original spark plugs will last that long.

100k if all else is in good shape makes sense, but I wouldn't go longer if you don't have to. The 2 R50's I have changed plugs on needed them as I highly suspect both sets were original. One was at 150k and the plug electrode was visibly eroded at a 45 degree angle, and the other one was at 256k and there was barely any protruding center electrode; the gap was at .090"+ and it still started and drove fine, I kid you not.

B

50,000 miles is a good interval for spark plugs and it prevents them from getting stuck in the head if the person that changed them before did not use anti-seize.

The factory Yazaki wires will last much longer than that. On older engines, the cap and rotor on the distributor should be replaced with the plugs. The 3.5 engines no longer use a distributor.

Edited by Tungsten