Ignition toggle switch

Scott.T

I am wanting to install an ignition toggle switch and a push button crank on my 95 XE. Has anyone done this? I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what wires need to go to the switch and which ones go to the push button. Thanks in advance for the help.

My truck has a push button on it to start it but it was on it when i bought it. I'm not 100% sure on this but i believe for a push button you would just have to wire it to the power wire coming from your key switch to the starter so there isn't power going to the starter till you hit the button. As for the switch if you want to control the power coming into the key switch from the battery all you would need to do is wire it into the power wire from the battery that goes to the key switch. But i'm not 100% sure on this so if someone else could confirm this it would be better.

I found a wiring chart: http://alarmsellout....R 1991-2005.pdf. The 95 pathfinder chart is on page 4. So I am thinking I would have to hook the 12 volt constant wire to one side of the toggle switch, and hook the ignition wire and accessory wire to the other side of the toggle switch, would this be correct? Now the part that is confusing me is there are 2 starter wires. I am thinking I would have to run a jumper wire from the hot side of the toggle to one side of the push start switch and hook up one or both starter wires on the other side of the push start switch. Does this sound correct? or would a starter wire go on each side of the push start switch along with the hot wire on one side? Thanks.

Edited by Scott.T

I think your right on your toggle switch. I believe one of the 2 starter wires is a 12v constant and the other one gets power when you turn your key to start the truck. So you would want to find the one that isn't constant and cut it and run one end to one side of your button and the other end to the other side. If i'm not mistaken wired like I've said you'd have to switch your toggle on then switch the key to run and then hit your button to start the truck. I'm not completely sure on this since i'm really just starting into the mechanical field (start the first of 5 semesters in a auto tech program in august) so hopefully someone else can confirm i'm right or tell you the right way if i'm wrong.

Well I will probably experiment with it tomorrow, see what I can come up with if no one has a definite answer. Thanks for your input.

you could do what Brix542 said and just have a push button to trigger the solenoid, and leave the key alone, you have to turn the key anyway to unlock the steering column, unless you want to do away with that part too.

Well I wired up a toggle switch and push start switch today. It was very easy. I took the plastic off around the steering column and took off the ignition piece that has the 5 wires on it. Here are the color codes on mine:

White with red= Constant 12v battery

Blue= Accessory

Black with white= Ignition

Black with yellow= Starter

Black with green= ? Im guessing it is a second starter wire according to that wire chart I posted in a previous post.

I used a 2 position aircraft toggle switch, it locks into position so if I bump it I dont have to worry about it shutting off, I have to pull the switch out then flip it to its on or off position. I took the accessory and ignition wires (blue and black with white wires) and twisted them together and put a terminal lug on them and attached to one side of the toggle switch, and the 12v battery wire to the other side. I also wired in an aircraft circuit breaker that gets the 12v battery power before the toggle switch. I installed this just incase someone ever comes along and wants to steel it and figures out it is to started by the toggle, they wont be able to start it without that breaker being pushed in. I have that hidden lol. For the push button I ended up using an aircraft floor microphone switch and mounted it to the floor by the peddles. I ran the power wire to one side and the starter wire (black with yellow) to the other. I ran the power wire off of the accessory and ignition side of the toggle switch, this way the starter cant be engaged unless the toggle switch is in the "on" position. The black with green wire I didnt use. I have tried hooking it up in different areas and it didnt change anything. I also bypassed the clutch interlock switch so I dont have to hold the clutch with one foot and press the start switch with the other. The whole setup is working great. I left the factory ignition switch in the "on" position too keep the steering wheel from locking. The ignition switch is broke so I was always able to start it and pull the key out. I also cut one of the 2 wires that run to the front of the ignition switch to keep it from beeping at me because it thinks the keys are left in after the truck is off. It was a pretty easy project and I am happy with the way it turned out.

Edited by Scott.T

You need to get one of these to put on the switch:

qwyhlc.jpg

I thought about doing this but for the starter switch. I originally put one of those switches on the center console this morning, it was a spring back switch, no cover. When I got home I decided to change it around, now I have the floor switch, looks like the old hi beam/low beam switch. There is no point in doing this for the ignition switch, my setup is great, it cant accidentally be turned on or off. If I did this for the ignition toggle, it could easily be bumped and turned off. Those switch covers are spring loaded so once they start going they snap closed which wouldnt be good if I was driving. I do like the look of it though, people would be like *ooh, what happens when you flip that switch?* People might be scared to touch it lol.

Make sure you run the ECU start signal wire to the button as well, it runs off the same wire that triggers the starter. If not it could be a hard starting beast! Had this very problem with my old Z31 and unfortunately I caught on to it right before I sold the thing. :(

Make sure you run the ECU start signal wire to the button as well, it runs off the same wire that triggers the starter. If not it could be a hard starting beast! Had this very problem with my old Z31 and unfortunately I caught on to it right before I sold the thing. :(

Thank you for this info. I have noticed that it doesnt start as easily, I figured it was due to that wire, I havent hooked it up yet though. I will do that tomorrow.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/13/2012 at 5:31 PM, Scott.T said:
On 7/12/2012 at 8:06 PM, Kingman said:

Thank you for this info. I have noticed that it doesnt start as easily, I figured it was due to that wire, I havent hooked it up yet though. I will do that tomorrow.

do you have a photo of it so I can drive mine out of my sons front curve where my 1995 pathfinder just stopped and refused to run. I tested the ignition relay and solenoid which was fine. Even the starter motor runs perfect too. My wife  installed a wireless starter  years ago. The antitheft system got rained on and broke. She lost her reciepts. So I needed to have it run and drive it to my garage. Or else I'll have towed.