Information on Rough Idle / Engine stall when braking, slowing to turn w/dreaded 250 rpm death idle

gv280z

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my experience with this problem that a couple of members have been having, Kyle94 and Ejnn??? not sure the rest of his name.

So your driving down the road and come to a stop and your truck has died, or is running horribly loping around 300 rpm. You check and replace all the normal stuff and still doesn't fix it.

I replaced my ignition coil and ignition control module, and pcv valve, battery with all the grounds hooked up, nothing worked. Through continued research I narrowed my problem down to the idle air control valve (and no, unfortunately it's not the little tower looking thing near the firewall on the side of the intake plenum, that is an auxillary air valve) the idle air control valve is directly behind the aav and is mounted on the underside of the plenum.

Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones because my truck is now fixed, I hope this will work for you guys. Went to my neighborhood Kwik Kar service center and had them perform a Gunk two step fuel system cleanout with IV drip for 15 min.

Truck runs great now, not dying anymore when I stop or slow to turn.

• Like 1

But I did learn how to test if you have a bad idle air control valve: When standing at the left side of the engine bay and the oil filler cap directly in front of you, there you will see a quad group of harness connections, two on top and two on bottom. The little one on the top, closest to the oil filler cap is the wire harness that plugs into the idle control motor/valve at the other end. Unplug that small harness connector and using a multi-meter test that connection for Ohms, it should read 10 ohms, I guess with the engine running, the mechanic I was talking to didn't specify. If you get anything other than 10 ohms, it's bad, supposedly. This is what the mech at kwik kar told me. I did pay for the two step process but the guy doing the work was cool and threw in a throttle body / plate cleaning for free.

I can definetly tell a difference in how my truck is running, seems to have more power now. Also, one other thing, I did turn the idle adjustment screw about 3/4's of a full turn counter clockwise before I had the fuel service done.

• 10 months later...