Gas warning light ?

Pulling into work today and my gas light came on. I never have let it get lower than 1/4 tank or so.

But on my lunch break I realized I left my wallet at home. I have some loose change in console but was wondering if anyone new an estimate about how much fuel or mileage there is left when it comes on.

My old Tacoma got about15 and my g/f's Corolla get about 40. Doubt that's the case here but wondering if it's worth risking the drive home

Go easy on me...

Is that the same for the wd21's too?

Again, that is what it is 'supposed' to be in prefect working condition. Vehicle age, crud on the sender from years of exposure, and being on a flat surface and so forth will effect all of this.

Also, keep in mind when the the vehicle will no longer run and the fuel pump can no longer pick up fuel, there is still about 1/2 gallon of gas left.

so when the fuel light comes on you in effect should really have 1-1/2 gallons of usable fuel left!

Edited by Alkorahil

In my experience, the low fuel warning light glows steadily when there's a little under 3 gallons left. Calculate your distance to empty using your estimated MPG, and that will tell you whether you can make it home or not.

VQ35 Pathfinders have a 21 gallon tank supposedly. My gas light comes on when I have burned through about 16 to 16.5 gallons of gas, approximately at 270 miles. I have a 2WD though, your mileage will vary.

Edited by Towncivilian

I try not to let mine get that low...the fuel pump is in the tank and it depends on the gasoline around it to keep it cool...my brother-in-law is a Nissan mechanic and he told that.

I try not to let mine get that low...the fuel pump is in the tank and it depends on the gasoline around it to keep it cool...my brother-in-law is a Nissan mechanic and he told that.

I don't think this is true. I think as long as there is fuel flow through the pump, the pump will receive sufficient cooling. I can't imagine that the entire tank capacity would not be there to use without a problem.

1/4 tank or so at least....he's been Nissan certified for 20 years....I'll take his advice. Running it dry every now and then won't hurt them...but constantly running them to the point of being dry will take it's toll on them. I work in a chemical plant with submersible pumps...they like liquid around them too or they'll eventually burn up