Idler pulley/ AC belt tensioner

My idler pulley seized on me last week and burnt up so I'm currently running no AC in July in OK, which is a no go.

I went to AutoZone, O-Reilly, NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, and even Nissan, and they all pull up the same part. The same one that's shown in the Haynes book too. But it's different from what I have that seized on me. I haven't had a chance to get to a junk yard yet, and I know a picture would help out a lot on this, so I'll get one up soon, but does anyone have one laying around or have any options on where I could find the part I'm looking for? The main problem is that the hole in the middle is too big, and I'm not sure I can get a bigger bolt in through the bracket the tensioner is on. TIA!

When mine went, I just replaced the bearing, It didn't completely seize though, just started whining really bad. You could take it apart and see, there's a snap ring you remove, then the rest comes apart easy. If it's just the bearing, go to any bearing supply store (I went to BC Bearing), and they can get you a new one.

I had this SAME problem. The reason being is because you have to use the guts of your old one. :) A golden piece slides in the inside from behind, and a golden washer goes in front while a cap piece goes on the outside.

Hope this helps! I

Just change the bearing, costs 5 bucks at the most, and takes like 10 minutes.

This. No need to pay Nissan for the whole thing, unless yours is damaged. I think even Nissan only wants 15 bucks or less for just the bearing, in case your local parts stores are morons and cant figure it out.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I discovered that mine fell off today, so what's worse? It seizing or it falling off? LoL I have the spacer washer and the tensioner bolts, yay. Glad it's not summer yet!

I am looking at the parts pictures on ebay, and I am trying to figure out how to install just visually based on the images provided, but seems like something is missing! Sigh

It seizing or it falling off are about equally bad, just in opposite directions from center goodness. ;)

If you have not done so, go to the Garage section and download a FSM from the pinned thread, it is the best source of info, diagrams and exploded views.

IIRC, there is the bracket that holds it all to the motor, a nut and lock washer on the back to hold it in place, a puller that has the bearing inside that rides on a carrier which has a threaded stud on the back to go through back of the bracket for said nut, and a long adjusting bolt that goes vertically from the top of the bracket through a threaded hole in the carrier. To adjust it, you would loosen the nut in back, turn the top both to adjust the tension, then lock the rear nut to hold it.

B

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue, my daughter bought a 95 and there was no A/C belt or idler pulley. Picked up what I thought was the right pulley, but it is too large an ID to fit the shaft, there must be a bushing with a shoulder, washers and nut but I am not finding any information on what is missing and where to get it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

There's a bit that goes between the bolt and the bearing to make up the difference. Wrecking yard or a forum part-out might be your best bet. Failing that, or for a short-term fix, you might get away with sleeving the bolt with a bit of oil hose or something.