Friends 03 is running at full throttle all the time

Friend was setting the cruise control on his 03 pathy and it went full throttle on him and wouldn't stop.

Keep in mind I've been troubleshooting this remotely with my friend who knows next to nothing about repair.

I've gotten him to check the cruise control fuse and there wasn;t one?? Maybe the fuse box is mislabeled or misleading.

we disconnected the battery and held down the brake for 10 seconds to discharge the system and it still floors upon startup.

The throttle cable looks slack like the plate is wide open, but a Samaritan stopped by and checked the throttle and said the butterfly was fine and moved freely, so maybe my friend is just describing normal slackedness of the throttle cable.

I've gotten him to stomp the throttle multiple times in an effort to break it free, but nothing changed.

I'll be meeting him later tonight, so can you experts give me some things to look for?

Thanks.

Idunno how the r50 works either... I just thought maybe the extra would cause it to idle up... so maybe an big leak floored it. But I'm confused... is the throttle plate open when its running or not? Maybe just disconnect the crusie pump if that's what's up. There should be an electric plug on it...

Not sure on the R50, but on the WD you can get see the cruise cable and the throttle cable separately... maybe have someone look and see which, if either, pulls? If neither, maybe the air valve they control has lost its butterfly? There should be a plug or something around the cruise that he could disconnect, maybe rule it in or out.

Or maybe the R50 is set up entirely differently and I'm just making myself look like an asshat. :lol:

• Like 1

Cruise is electronic, not vacuum. There are 2 separate throttle cables, one for cruise and one for regular throttle. If it's the cruise cable that's the problem, you can disconnect it to physically disengage it, then figure out whether the electronics failed, or servo mechanism.

• Like 1

Yes, it's drive by wire, just like a Toyota. The cruise control and pedal problem seems the same as Toyota's. The cruise control module may be malfunctioning or the pedal may be stuck. Take that truck to the dealer as soon as possible.

The 03 has drive by wire, not mechanical TB. Check that the accelerator pedal's return spring is installed properly. I'm not at home right now but will check for TSBs later.

Yeah, I was about to post: VQs are "wireless" :tongue: ...

ok,more info.

I got to take a look at it after the engine cooled down and now it revs to around 3-4K over and over like a redneck trying to get a race at a stoplight. I checked the throttle body and the throttle plate doesn't move so its not the cruise control yanking the cable.

while it is revving I can give it more gas and it revs higher just like it supposed to.

Maybe the cold start "choke" is messed up?

The damn thing has 240K on it - :omg:

Edited by ChatWithaNinja