Replacing belts

Belts are squeaking a bit and I'd like to replace them, and on my own if possible. I've usually done basic stuff on my vehicles, like fluid changes. I was hoping someone can tell me what tools I'll need (in case I need to borrow them), etc.

See MA-15 for a diagram and torque specs. I don't know anything else about drive belt replacement though, sorry! I'd suggest OEM belts or Goodyear Gatorback belts. A shop replaced my belts with Goodyear Gatorback belts and they seem fine, no noise at all after about 25k miles so far.

All you should need is a 12mm and a 14mm socket wrench with a 6 - 8" extension .. oh, and the replacement belts of course! To me, the toughest part of the job is loosening/tightening the power steering adjustment screw as it is pretty tight against the inner wheel well.

Shouldnt have a problem if I just need the sockets and extension... I have that and more. A tension gauge for the belts is something I dont have. It sounds like the belts to me, but I guess it could be something else. I've heard of all kinds of things some guys do as a temporary fix, like using bar soap to eliminate the squeek. Its audible enough that its annoying at idle. Btw, I posted a question about getting a better exhaust. Anyone with a magnaflow/equivalent cat-back?

Bar soap? Sounds like it'd just make the belt slip just as a belt dressing would. I wouldn't band aid it - fix it right by replacing the belts. Hopefully that will resolve the noise.

Edited by Towncivilian

Is the water pump a usual issue with this model/year? Far as I know, it didnt get a full tune up/inspection, as I bought it not long after the dealership got it. Im not familiar enough with the vehicle to know if there are things I should be looking out for at this point in mileage.

I'd start with the belts. Tell you what, you can figure out exactly what is squealing by briefly starting the engine between each belt that you remove. If the squeal stops after, say, the second belt I'd put my guess that it was either that belt, the alternator, or the idler pulley.

To me, the toughest part of the job is loosening/tightening the power steering adjustment screw as it is pretty tight against the inner wheel well.

You don't even know how much I curse whatever tiny handed engineer decided that was a good idea!

Edited by MrT

You should be very careful with replacing the belts. If you tension them too much you can ruin the bearings. If you tension them too little then the belt will not last long. It's better to have a little less tension than a little more as belts are cheaper and faster to replace. You don't want to bust any bearings, believe me. I have replaced the water pump twice now because shops like to overtighten the v-belts during service. I'm doing all this stuff myself from now on. Don't be lazy! :)

....I've heard of all kinds of things some guys do as a temporary fix, like using bar soap to eliminate the squeek.....

Bar soap? Sounds like it'd just make the belt slip just as a belt dressing would....

WOW! That really takes me back! We used to use this temporary fix on our squeeling V-belts back in the early seventies. Don't know WHY it works, but it does...for several days anyway. Agree that you need to do it the right way, though.

Yeah I am going to end up replacing them most likely. I think the A/C compressor or something else may be out. It appears that the freon level or whatever is in there is close to full - So my father in law says. Probably will try to get both of those knocked out. Its been sooooo hot lately, gotta have a/c

• 3 weeks later...

If you have 134a in the A/C system then check the A/C compressor to see if it is turning with the A/C on high. That might be the cause of your noise, the compressor has a clutch on the front of it, that engages the compressor. If the compressor still does not engage, then check the wires running to it to make sure they are connected and not broken. From there fuses and relays. Good luck.