Off Road Breakdown Horror Stories

theexbrit

Great stories guys! Glad most turned out ok for you all. Seems like jeeps have been involved in quite a few of these, another reason not to get one I suppose :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 years later...

I haven't had any offroad nightmares so far. but i have had one inconvenience while out on a trail here in Colorado. was out wheeling with just me and a couple of friends. was doing some moderate speed around 20 mph over small rocks. when I slowed down to about 10 mph going over larger rocks. I felt the pathfinder to start wondering around and going up and down all over the place. so I looked out the driver side window and saw the driver side tire just start turning by itself with no input. i realized that I had to stop the vehicle and check out the problem. it turned out that the castle nut for the outer tie rod snapped the cotter pin and disappeared. I was stuck for about 20 minutes to figure out a solution. I remembered that Japanese vehicles tend to use the same size bolt for many of the parts. well I figured out that one of the wheel lug nuts will fit on the tie rod with close to the same pitch. so I used the wheel lug nut to hold the tie rod in place. was able to get back home. which was about a 67 mile drive through the canyon.

I figured out that one of the wheel lug nuts will fit on the tie rod with close to the same pitch. so I used the wheel lug nut to hold the tie rod in place.

now there's a little tidbit that's good to know

Not my Pathfinder but my buddy's Jimmy. We were at the local playgrounds screwing around and he was doing cookies around a power line tower. There was some grass and he slid into it and right over a massive boulder. It blew a hole in his oil pan, ruined his driveshaft, and remodeled the rear carrier. Man the rear of that thing jumped probably 3 feet in the air! The road/trail getting in is naaaasty and I had to tow him all the way to the nearest store, the Washougal Mercentile which was still 30 miles from home. Pulled the driveshaft in the pouring down rain then towed him back home.

IMG00141-20091020-1726.jpg

IMG00145-20091020-2133.jpg

IMG00148-20091020-2200.jpg

• Like 1

Not my Pathfinder but my buddy's Jimmy. We were at the local playgrounds screwing around and he was doing cookies around a power line tower. There was some grass and he slid into it and right over a massive boulder. It blew a hole in his oil pan, ruined his driveshaft, and remodeled the rear carrier. Man the rear of that thing jumped probably 3 feet in the air!

Facckkk thats brutal

I don't know if you could consider this a "breakdown" but it was my 3rd off-roading trip and i was up in NH offroading which is about 1hr 30 mins from my home. My wife and my 18 mo old daughter was with me. I saw a mud pit that i thought i could get through... Wrong i hit the pit and got stuck in the middle.. Mind you i dont have a lift and only general grabber tires. Looked around for another person and found a guy driving a jeep cherokee, asked if he could pull me out and he had no problem doing that only thing was he did not have recovery straps, neither did i... lol So we must of waited an hour for another person to roam by and that guy didn't have recovery gear either, so i came up with the idea of asking if there was a walmart near by and there was, so they gave me a lift to a local walmart where i bought recovery straps , they drove me back to the trail and pulled me out. All in all i was stranded 3 hours in that mud pit, i was so fortunate that the guys that helped me out stayed with me until i got my truck out.

Was this on Shirkin?

I don't know if you could consider this a "breakdown" but it was my 3rd off-roading trip and i was up in NH offroading which is about 1hr 30 mins from my home. My wife and my 18 mo old daughter was with me. I saw a mud pit that i thought i could get through... Wrong i hit the pit and got stuck in the middle.. Mind you i dont have a lift and only general grabber tires. Looked around for another person and found a guy driving a jeep cherokee, asked if he could pull me out and he had no problem doing that only thing was he did not have recovery straps, neither did i... lol So we must of waited an hour for another person to roam by and that guy didn't have recovery gear either, so i came up with the idea of asking if there was a walmart near by and there was, so they gave me a lift to a local walmart where i bought recovery straps , they drove me back to the trail and pulled me out. All in all i was stranded 3 hours in that mud pit, i was so fortunate that the guys that helped me out stayed with me until i got my truck out.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go wheeling a lot in Tellico, Cherokee National Forest, when it was open to OHV vehicles. In addition to my little pathy, I've got a extended cab s-10 on a c10 frame, 383 stroker on propane, 4 wheel steer Rockwell's on 53" Michelin's XLs. I have a problem with the skinny pedal snapping the 2.5 ton axles. I've always been able to limp it out after I get the hub off. I've seen some good ones though. A friend and I were there on a snowy Tuesday. When we got on the backside of the park, at the top of "helicopter pad" we encountered a broke down Chevy, with a snapped tie rod & broken link bars from a mild roll over. They winched it up, but couldn't keep the front end under it. We stopped to help & found out they had rolled Sunday afternoon. With no cellphone service, they decided to wait instead of walking the 30 or 40 some odd miles back to the base camp, we were the first to pass. As it was they had run out of beer, water & all food from their cooler Monday morning, making it about 36 hours since they ate. They raided our cooler then we got to work. My truck has got onboard air,so using the impact we took the from axle off. We then chained the front of their truck(without the front axle) to the back of my exocage & proceeded to tote them out on just their rear wheels.