Transmission and t-case breathers?

albino

Are there breather hoses for both the automatic transimission and t-case or is there just one hose for both of them?

I am looking into extending all of my breather hoses but the transmission and t-case are so tight on the body that I cant even find the breathers...

AFAIK, both of the breathers end up going to hardlines that end up behind the engine, just above the bell housing. Not exactly ideal, so kudos for wanting to extend them!

Alright that might be why I couldn't find them, I wasn't expecting them to go to hardlines. I'll go take another look, thanks for both the posts!

Alright so I have completed all my breather extensions and I thought I would post what I did in case anyone else was wondering how to do this.

The basic idea behind this project is to get the breather hoses higher up to prevent water from getting into any gears while off-road.

What I Used:

o 26+ ft of fuel hose - I just snipped a piece of the existing breather hose off of the t-case and rear diff breathers and picked a hose similar to both of them, 26 ft was barely enough so 28-30 ft might be a little safer

o 2 cheap fuel filters

o 2 male-male 1/4 inch barbs

o 2 3-way 1/4 barbs

o some aluminum tubing

o 1 male-male 3/16 to 1/4 barb

o a lot of small hose clamps (screw/hex head type)

I started out by choosing where to put the extended breathers, I decided on the drivers side rear of the engine compartment since there was some open space there. Using the aluminum tubing I made a pretty basic bracket for mounting all of my hoses. There are a lot of different ways to do this but here is how I made my bracket:

IMAG0687.jpg

There are four breather lines that need to be extended:

o front diff

o rear diff

o transmission

o transfer case

Knowing where my bracket was going to be, I was able to start adding extension hoses from the breathers to the bracket.

I started with the front differential which is the most time consuming part of this procedure. The stock front diff setup has a small breather hose going from the diff to a hardline under the engine block. If you feel your way down the hardline you will see that it goes to the rear of the engine comparment and then bends downward and ends.

In order to extend the front diff breather, I bypassed the hardline completely. After removing the splash shield/front skid you can access the small breather hose. There is a clamp securing this hose to the breather and another clamp securing it to the hardline. I removed both clamps and then removed the hose. I then fed a new hose down from the breather bracket I made to the front diff breather. I secured the hose to the front diff with a new clamp and then used zip ties to anchor the hose to the side of the engine compartment. I then cut the hose at the bracket.

IMAG0688.jpg

Its very hard to see but in the center of this picture is the front diff breather. The picture was taken from above the engine looking down.

Next I moved on to the transfer case and transmission breathers. The transfer case breather starts at the rear of the casing above the rear driveshaft. The transmission breather starts on top of the transmission on the drivers side. Both breather hoses run above the transmission and up to the bell housing. On top of the bell housing, the hoses connect to two separate hardlines that go up behind the engine block and then turn down and end. If you lay under the truck on the passenger side you should be able to feel where the hoses meet the hardlines.

I disconnected the hoses from the hardlines at this point in order to bypass them. I fed new hose from the bracket, across the back of the engine compartment and down to the top of the bell housing. Using male-male barbs and clamps I connected the original breather hoses to my new hoses. I then cut the new hoses off at my breather bracket. You will notice that the breather hoses for the t-case and transmission are not clamped on, I added a clamp to the t-case breather but the transmission breather was too hard to get to so I left it as is.

IMAG0692.jpg

This is a picture of the top of the bell housing from the passenger side. The breather hoses are located behind the large hose in the picture.

IMAG0690.jpg

This is a picture of how I fed my new hoses down to the bell housing.

At this point, I moved on to the rear differential. The hosing used for the rear differential is a nice thick hose so I decided to use it. I ran a new hose from my bracket, down the drivers side of the frame, up above the gas skid and back to where the current breather hose ended. I secured the new hose using zip ties. I then connected the new hose to the old hose using a 1/4 inch to 3/16 inch barb. It took some serious work to get the 3/16 barb into the old breather hose so maybe a smaller barb could be used. I secured both ends with hose clamps and then pushed the old breather hose down in its bracket to ensure that it would not be pulled tight when the axle flexed.

IMAG0691.jpg

This is a picture of the rear breather extension.

At this point I had all four new breather hoses run to my breather bracket. I joined the two diff breathers using a three way barb and did the same with the transmission and t-case breathers. I then bent the two hose ends downwards through my bracket and connected them to some cheap fuel filters. This just keeps the bugs and dust out. There is a picture of this setup at the beginning of the post.

Here is what I ended with:

IMAG0689.jpg

Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing this mod! It is pretty straightforward but just takes a little time and patience.

Edited by albino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I was going to start on this same type of project soon. I was thinking I would run one line from back to front and right into my air intake box which has a snorkel. I can then tie the rear dif, t case, front dif and transmission all into the one main line.

What do you think, would that work?

I don't think you would have a problem running all the lines together but I don't know if I would end it in the airbox. When I was originally looking into doing this mod I stumbled across this website:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42997-Extended-axle-transmission-breathers

When I get a snorkel installed I plan on running my lines similar to what that guy did. If you run them into the airbox than you have to worry about making sure that everything is still perfectly sealed and there is a larger potential for problems.

Also I would put a cheap fuel filter in the line somewhere near the open end so that bugs can't crawl down the lines and clog them up.

• 4 years later...