Hooked up the jumper cables the wrong way.....sparks and smoke

zack1978

Hi everyone,

I made a very dumb mistake this afternoon with my 1995 V6 D21......The battery is dead so I had to jump start the truck, and I hooked up the positive and negative backwards. The second that I touched the jumper cable to my truck sparks flew and smoke poured from the positive cable on my truck. Thankfully the Toyota Highlander that I was using to start my truck seems totally fine.

Attached to the positive cable of my truck is what appears to be two fuseable links, with connectors on each end joined together by a few inches of wire. The smoke poured directly from the fuseable link, and the wires were hot to the touch. I am assuming that I burned up either one or both links fuseable link? After I made the mistake, I hooked up the cables the proper way, and there was no power at all to my truck. Do you think I damaged anything else on my truck besides the fuseable links?

Are the fuseable links available from Nissan?

Does anyone have part numbers for the fuseable links?

Are they expensive?

Thank you,

"The Idiot" Zack

You probably just burned the fusible links. If your stereo was on you might have fried it. I recently learned that there is an orange relay with a diode inside that protects the ECU from reverse-voltage if the battery or jumper cables are hooked up wrong. I don't know if the TCU (automatic) is also protected this way but knowing Nissan it probably is. Replace the fusible links, charge the battery, cross your fingers, and see what happens.

Thats the purpose of fuses, to protect the vitals when something that shouldn't flows trough the wires. As stated by Mr.510, replace what you smoked, check your fuse block as well incase any of them got jolted, fresh battery (you were jump starting for a reason to begin with :lol: ) cross your fingers and toes and give it a whirl.

Part numbers you say? Is it avaialable?

PARTS PIMP TO THE RESCUE!

I ordered some for a customer back in November and they were still available then.

You will actually need the following parts:

24022-84M60

LINK, FUSIBLE

$10.02 NISSAN LIST: $13.58

24022-01G00

LINK, FUSIBLE

$7.13 NISSAN LIST: $9.67

24021-V5003

LINK, FUSIBLE

$5.68 NISSAN LIST: $7.70

You may also find you need a new battery, I would not be surprised if some damage was done to it, though it may not show up immediately...a few months later.

As stated above, the ECU should be protected and ok. When you go to replace the links, pull the battery out completely (to be able to work easier-the links typically dont want to budge) while the battery is out, check your positive and negative cables, but they should be ok as well.

Edited by Alkorahil

Many moons ago I didnt realize that that was a fusible link and I had melted it with too much amp draw from electric fans and stereo equipment and I rebuilt the link myself acouple of times before solving the problem and doing the quest alty upgrade and running a whole new cable straight from the alty to battery.

And I agree that you might have a damaged battery

Part numbers you say? Is it avaialable?

PARTS PIMP TO THE RESCUE!

I ordered some for a customer back in November and they were still available then.

You will actually need the following parts:

24022-84M60

LINK, FUSIBLE

$13.58 NISSAN LIST: $10.02

24022-01G00

LINK, FUSIBLE

24021-V5003

LINK, FUSIBLE

$5.68 NISSAN LIST: $7.70

You may also find you need a new battery, I would not be surprised if some damage was done to it, though it may not show up immediately...a few months later.

As stated above, the ECU should be protected and ok. When you go to replace the links, pull the battery out completely (to be able to work easier-the links typically dont want to budge) while the battery is out, check your positive and negative cables, but they should be ok as well.

Thanks everyone!

I don't care about the battery, as it was garbage to begin with. This afternoon I will head over to Costco and pick up a new battery.

With respect to the fusible links, I went to Nissan on Tuesday to order the parts and it takes two days for any ordered part to come in. The problem is that I only ordered two out of the three links. I didn't see three separate links on my truck, and I guess the parts guy didn't either. So I ordered only the following two:

24022-84M60

LINK, FUSIBLE

$13.58 NISSAN LIST: $10.02

24022-01G00

LINK, FUSIBLE

Any idea where the third link goes? I wonder if my truck will work with the two that I ordered? In any event when I stop at Nissan today, I will order the third link, and perhaps spares for the other two.

Zack

The third one is mounted to the positive battery terminal and has the other two links going into them.

If you look on the positive terminal there is what looks like a connector with two female connections, that has the 4 pink wires going into it. That is the third link you need.

It is plastic and either red or black.

The fusible link inside the housing is most likely toast.

I dont have any help to offer, but a friend of mine hooked up cables backwards using my vehicle to jump his :redfinder: , and I woke up to him yelling FIRE FIRE. Had to back my car up until the cables came apart to break the connection. I got out with a bit of cosmetic damage and he had to replace the fuseable links and a few fuses to get his going again. Wish I had pics.

The third one is mounted to the positive battery terminal and has the other two links going into them.

If you look on the positive terminal there is what looks like a connector with two female connections, that has the 4 pink wires going into it. That is the third link you need.

It is plastic and either red or black.

The fusible link inside the housing is most likely toast.

Ok thanks. I stopped at Nissan today and ordered the third link, it should be in on Tuesday. I also ordered spares of all three, just in case they become NLA from Nissan.

I still can't believe that I ,made such a dumb mistake. I am very embarrassed to say the least!

Zack

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I was finally able to work on the truck yesterday, and with a new battery and the 3 new links all is good again. She started right up, and seemingly there are no issues. I also ordered extra links from Nissan, just to be safe if they ever become NLA.

Thank you,

Zack