Transfer Case Oil

I need to replace my tcase oil, and since its a manual, I wasnt sure if ATF was okay to put in... or what type exactly is required. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance!

i actually did a lot of research into this (as much as i could i guess) and the nissan service manual says to use atf...i thought it was pretty bizaar but one of the techs at work told me it was probably because it had tighter tolerances so atf would work better

rule of thumb is use what u have in your tranny but i went 10w30 in my tcase even though i had an auto tranny its too cold in the winter here for 80w90 in the tcase it is so thick it will turn the front drive shaft and try to engage the auto hubs in the cold for a daily driver i would have used the atf but it is for hardcore offroad so i wanted the thicker protection cause i run 33"s posi up front and locker in the rear

rule of thumb is use what u have in your tranny but i went 10w30 in my tcase even though i had an auto tranny its too cold in the winter here for 80w90 in the tcase it is so thick it will turn the front drive shaft and try to engage the auto hubs in the cold for a daily driver i would have used the atf but it is for hardcore offroad so i wanted the thicker protection cause i run 33"s posi up front and locker in the rear

A 75W-90 gear oil is suitable to -20F and below and is what the FSM specifies as preferable for the transfer case. 10W-30 engine oil is only listed as suitable down to 0F (for use in the engine, of course). A typical engine oil also does not have the extreme pressure additives that a gear oil has. I think you should put a GL-4 75W-90 in your transfer case.

Edited by Towncivilian

I need to replace my tcase oil, and since its a manual, I wasnt sure if ATF was okay to put in... or what type exactly is required. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance!

I've got mobil 1 synthetic, same as in my tranny

Good to know. Thanks! I drained it today, and it came out with a redish hue, so looks like it was ATF that was in it before. Appreciate the advice.