Spare Tire Carrier Bushings- Replacement

Nefarious

Hey everyone. Quick question... I am about to replace the bushings on my tired old spare tire carrier. I ordered the parts from nissan, 2 hinge pins and 2 bushings. I asked the nissan parts guy and he assured me it's just the 2 bushings.

I read a guide online that said I would need 4 bushings but I looked at the nissan parts catalogue and it shows only 2 as well, also a few other online parts catalogues and they also showed just 2 bushings used per vehicle... Just want to confirm that I have what I need for the job. Wondering why the guy who made the guide online here: http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/nistail/index.htm says that I need 2 pins and 4 bushings, while nissan and the online parts diagrams show only 2 pins and 2 bushings needed.

Anyone that has replaced these give me a heads up? Thanks

All I can say is right in that guide he states:

Don’t believe the Nissan parts guy - the listing for my 91 showed only 2 bushings total, not 4. I ended up making two trips - my own fault for not knowing more than him!

Which if the online parts diagram shows 2, the parts guy is going to assume it only needs 2. I'd get 4, and return 2 if you dont need them. Unless its special order and you have to pay restock fee's blah blah.

Hopefully someone who had done it will chime in, I need to do mine, just one of the little things I havent worried about much until this point.

in this factory parts diagram it shows part number 57211H. says 2 required per vehicle and shows a diagram of how they are installed via www.courtesyparts.com oem nissan diagrams..

wd21_570-1.gif

I was going by what this diagram shows, as well as this one at www.factorynissanparts.com:

3615147.gif

This is why I was wondering if anyone else on here had actually replaced them, and what the deal is. Both diagrams show 2 pins and 2 bushings, installed from the top and nothing on the bottom. Are they both wrong???

Ah okay I figured it out. I got the wrong upper pin already from nissan. I got 2x E7246 which are the 57 MM lower pin. I'll have to return it for the proper upper pin which is E7245 which measures 63 MM. They are actually 2 different pins for the upper and lower hinges (slightly different length, upper pin is 63 mm and lower pin is 57 mm) and it looks to me like there needs to be 4 bushings which are E7247...I'll pick up the 2 more bushings and swap the pin for the proper one. Thanks for the info guys.

So just for future reference if anyone searches up this post then the correct part numbers and quantities are:

1x E7245

1x E7246

4x E7247

This is for a '91 swing out tire carrier.

Edited by Nefarious

It seems to be the same for all, mine is a 1994 and it looks like the upper hinge plates are slightly thicker than the lower ones, so that should be the cause. Maybe that's to give more strength...

I'm gonna buy the same kit for mine.

I am thinking I will just cut the pins out and use some bolts... As my Nissan dealership says that they currently cannot get the replacement pins or bushings. How nice of them to be customer oriented...

At least I would be able to pull off the tire rack without having to unbolt it from the body...

I am thinking I will just cut the pins out and use some bolts... As my Nissan dealership says that they currently cannot get the replacement pins or bushings. How nice of them to be customer oriented...

At least I would be able to pull off the tire rack without having to unbolt it from the body...

This is when you hit up Alkorahil. He will be cheaper than your local stealership anyway.........

Edited by Trogdor636

Well www.courtesyparts.com sells nissan oem parts and gives you the dealership parts diagrams and all the part numbers. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than the dealership unless the shipping gets you, but would be a good place to order the parts from if you can't get them locally, they were super cheap...

The upper and lower pins are here. $4.60 for the upper and $3.40 for the lower.

http://www.courtesyp..._5573_5693_5695

The bushings are here. $2.41 a piece, you need 4 of these.

http://www.courtesyp...5-p-540802.html

Total of $17.68 + whatever shipping is to you..

Edited by Nefarious

Well www.courtesyparts.com sells nissan oem parts and gives you the dealership parts diagrams and all the part numbers. They are usually quite a bit cheaper than the dealership unless the shipping gets you, but would be a good place to order the parts from if you can't get them locally, they were super cheap...

The upper and lower pins are here. $4.60 for the upper and $3.40 for the lower.

http://www.courtesyp..._5573_5693_5695

The bushings are here. $2.41 a piece, you need 4 of these.

http://www.courtesyp...5-p-540802.html

Total of $17.68 + whatever shipping is to you..

My post was directed at tmoore since he said he couldnt get them locally. For future reference though, Alkorahil is cheaper than courtesyparts.com too, and I think his shipping might be cheaper. Plus, he owns a Pathfinder so its like getting personal service from someone who knows.

Edited by Trogdor636

Well I did the hinge pins and bushings today. What a pain it was to get the lower hinge pin out, and getting the bushings out was also a pain. Went over well though and it works perfect again. With my 33x12.5 tire on there when I open the latch and pull it off the support pad the carrier actually opens itself now, and it closes with ease just let it swing and its momentum closes it. It was really stiff before the lower bushings were pretty seized. No more rattles at all going over bumps. This thing supports some pretty good weight and I made custom steel plate brackets to hold it on the body as well, my truck didn't come with one. So worth the money and headache!!!!

Edited by Nefarious

There are actually two different pins used based on year.

The parts guy you talked to didnt look at his screen close enough, it shows under quantities on the vehicle '2' for the bushings and '1' for the pin. If he was paying attention he would have seen that and known that it is telling him '2' per pin, not '2' per vehicle!!

I hate amateurs!

89-92 WD21

E7247-41G60

BUSHING, HINGE

$1.56 EACH

QTY NEEDED: 2

E7245-41G60

PIN, HINGE

$3.40 EACH

QTY NEEDED: 4

93-95 WD21

E7247-41G60