Starter below the oil filter

RF600

Could they have put it in a worse place? Shortly after I got my pathfinder I put a remote oil filter on it. As we all know it drips all over the starter when doing oil changes. So I get the remote filter on. I did have a slight leak at one of the connectors. So a little more oil drips on the starter. Anyway I go to start it one day and I get nothing. No click, but everything works. So I start checking for power. Nothing from the starter.

So I pull the starter. There is some oil coming from the starter. I pull the starter apart and it looks like mud inside. I clean all the parts. Apply some grease and put it back together. I cross my fingers and jump the starter. It works. I put it back in and it started.

What i'm getting at is I didn't know that that much oil and crap could get in there and keep it from working. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a starter.

Moral of this story! Get a remote mount oil filter.

I have a 3" bodylift so starter replacement makes opening a can of pringles look challanging but I literally just replaced mine last week due to age failure. Was bone dry, all in oil change prep :lol:

After the first couple oil changes I put a remote filter on. It's a larger filter also. I used mounting points that were existing. No extra holes drilled. The fuel filter is a little more difficult to get off but not too bad.

E179EF6D-orig.jpg

Edited by RF600

I can't find my receipt so I don't know for sure. I think it was a hayden kit. The lines are custom made. I put the heat sleeves on just in case. The hoses were the most expensive part. I think the filter is off of a ford.

I took some metal I had and made the mounting bracket.

Edited by RF600

I had a dual filter mount on my old harbody and I used the AN fittings, I had the cheap braided SS hoses from transdapt. Hoses are long gone but I still have the filter mount and the filter adapter. Don't want to run dual filters on the PF though. I checked with a local hose company on making some AN hoses wasn't too bad about $19 for a 3' hose with straight ends.

Nice thing about my dual filter mount and some singles I've seen is it has an extra in and out port that can be blocked off using plugs, I used one for a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I used Fram PH-8A filters, they were bigger and cheaper than the stock Nissan filter.

I got tired of all the crap inthe starter and not being able to get at it easily (especially after putting headers on it) so I threw a dual filter relo in mine as well.

IMG_3375-vi.jpg

WTH?? This is one of the cheapest, most worthwhile/paying for it's self mod ever. Get on it, man!! :D

Yep, I have the same set up as k9sar location wise, but I run a single filter. Fram PH-8a equivalent size (about the most common available) in Bosch form (want to say 3200). I'm guessing the difference in size equals +50-100% filtration media so duals seemed overkill, especually in such a tight area. Glad I did it and don't look back other than saying install the adapter first, then the lines using a crows foot. That would have saved me a lot of time and grief back then...

B

It was definitely worth the time and money to relocate the oil filter.

I wish I would have taken a pic of the starter after I took it apart. It was nasty.

Edited by RF600

Here are some pics from when I first did my install

*between oil leak and new fittings & hoses*

relo01da1.th.jpg relo02sa7.th.jpg

And here are a couple threads with more info and pictures from other members (some pics are no longer availible)

http://www.nissanpat...ilter-relo-kit/

http://www.nissanpat...oil-relocation/

I cut a piece of roof flashing and put it over the starter before I pull the filter. The oil runs over the shield and into the pan, adds about 30 seconds to an oil change.

Before I owned the Pathy I owned two S10 Blazers, both with factory remote mounted filters, they both failed. Don't add two lines and a rubber seal to your lube system if you don't have to. KISS (keep it simple stupid).

• 2 weeks later...

they sell kits that include the hoses and mounts, you may depending on where you want to mount the remote filter, need to make a mount for it.

Here are some available from Summit racing, both single and dual filters:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Oil-Filter-Included/No/Make/NISSAN/?keyword=oil+filter+relocation

• 1 month later...

I pulled the starter because it would not engage. That was my first indication the starter was going bad. Now it is doing the same thing. Hitting the starter will get it to engage. So when you think you got it, you sometimes don't.

Here are some pics from when I first did my install

*between oil leak and new fittings & hoses*

relo01da1.th.jpg relo02sa7.th.jpg

And here are a couple threads with more info and pictures from other members (some pics are no longer availible)

http://www.nissanpat...ilter-relo-kit/

http://www.nissanpat...oil-relocation/

Zip ties are not acceptable clamps.

After the first couple oil changes I put a remote filter on. It's a larger filter also. I used mounting points that were existing. No extra holes drilled. The fuel filter is a little more difficult to get off but not too bad.

E179EF6D-orig.jpg

That's an excellent setup. Where did you get those lines made? I tried to do this once but couldn't find a way to attach it there. I may actually go this route now and try again.

I also got tired of pouring oil on my starter every time I changed the filter... so I built a VG34! :aok: Now my oil filter is just forward of, and a couple inches above, my steering stabilizer:

2011-10-08_20-51-31_728.jpg

It's easy to reach from the top with a Taurus E-fan, I'm not sure how much fun it'd be with a stock fan should. I pull the front skid plate and put my drain pan under the filter rather than end up with a bunch of oily paper towels to fish out from under the filter.

That's an excellent setup. Where did you get those lines made? I tried to do this once but couldn't find a way to attach it there. I may actually go this route now and try again.

I think I used as the same kit RF600 and same location.

http://s859.photobuc...ilter Relocate/

Had the lines custom made by a place called Amazon hose. Teflon hoses (IIRC) with stainless sleeving.

Edited by andreus009