Replacing Boss stereo?

iPath

My 6 disc died awhile ago and I've finally gotten fed up with the radio so I want to replace it. The thing is I thought I read somewhere there was more than just simply replacing the stereo, such as you had mess with the amps and replace the front speakers or something? I tried doing a quick search but didn't find much (on my phone right now)

Ideally, you would run new speaker wire to each door. Bypassing the rear amplifier for the two rear speakers and kludging the wiring for the front speakers is possible (I've done it), but it's probably better and easier to just run your own wire.

Ideally, you would run new speaker wire to each door. Bypassing the rear amplifier for the two rear speakers and kludging the wiring for the front speakers is possible (I've done it), but it's probably better and easier to just run your own wire.

Yup. For a professional system that will last a long time, remove all the bose and run your own wires (like me). I've had an extremely loud sound system in my R50 for like 7 years now and i'm glad I went thru the headache of doing it.

If you don't really care that much about music, a bose adapter will suffice.

LIke others have said, there is a sound quality issue installing an aftermarket headunit (HU) in place of the factory Bose HU. However, the PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the best harness I've found that let's you keep the Bose speakers/amp and keep sound quality fairly good. I've installed one on every Nissan vehicle I've owned (2 Maximas & 1 Pfinder) and I've always kept the Bose speakers/amps, then added an aftermarket sub/amp.

http://www.pac-audio...1&CategoryID=26

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000CE9OY2

http://www.sonicelec...ac=1&zmap=11164

**EDIT #1**

The Sonic Electronics site I referenced lists applications for vehicles up to 2002 and I see you have a 2003. Call PAC AUDIO to verify application.

**EDIT #2**

I double checked the PAC AUDIO (manufacturer) site and it lists Pathfinder applications through 2006.

Edited by E_ROCK

All i did was the wiring harness as Devionwalk suggested. Took no time to install. I have no intention of adding any aftermarket speakers/subs tho. Mine sounds good to me! Personal preference I suppose.

Ideally you want at least 14 AWG stranded wiring. The stock wiring is definitely not that great for speakers. If you aren't planning on any amplifiers and just want to replace the deck only, you could just get an adapter and be done with it.

You could use a standard wiring harness but you won't get the most out of your setup. I ran a standard wiring harness for a week before removing it and going back to the PAC in the Pathfinder and it is so much better now. I'm running a decent (albeit old) HU and now have full range from both HU and speakers (factory Bose & aftermarket sub).

I'm not saying that ripping out all the Bose equipment, running new wiring and installing all new aftermarket equipment isn't the way to go if you were competing in Nopi events (is Nopi still around?), but the value for money just isn't there for a daily driver compared to getting a proper wiring harness for the factory Bose equipment. If I were in my early twenties, I'd disagree with myself, but a decade later and the voice of reason steps in.

Pic of my HU for reference:

6671319721_1d8e05054b.jpg

Edited by E_ROCK
  • Like 1

I'll probably just get the wire harness, as long as the sound quality isn't god awful I'll be able to live with it. Thanks for the help guys, and I meant BOSE in the title, of course.

You could use a standard wiring harness but you won't get the most out of your setup. I ran a standard wiring harness for a week before removing it and going back to the PAC in the Pathfinder and it is so much better now. I'm running a decent (albeit old) HU and now have full range from both HU and speakers (factory Bose & aftermarket sub).

I'm not saying that ripping out all the Bose equipment, running new wiring and installing all new aftermarket equipment isn't the way to go if you were competing in Nopi events (is Nopi still around?), but the value for money just isn't there for a daily driver compared to getting a proper wiring harness for the factory Bose equipment. If I were in my early twenties, I'd disagree with myself, but a decade later and the voice of reason steps in.

Pic of my HU for reference:

6671319721_1d8e05054b.jpg

That setup looks badass.

I JUST installed (turned it on yesterday) an entirely new sound system in my Non-Bose 1996 SE. 1-mid 1-tweeter 1-crossover each door, amp in the rear tub, flat amp'd 8" sub box (Sound Ordnance, ~$150). I used the stock door speaker wire and cut in at the amp. The door-to-frame wiring seemed like a better, easier, and greater longevity solution than running my own wire. Since its non-bose there is one amp at the drivers side rear-trunk panel, so I cut into the connector, grafted the speaker wires coming from the amp (like a 2-foot stretch), ran the 12v battery, remote power and RCA's down the drivers side, ran the 12v battery through the firewall where the clutch master should be (automatic), put a power distribution block where the old amp was so I could run both amps. BOOM. sounds great

I used this website plus an aftermarket connector that fits my truck (free from crutchfield when I bought the headunit)

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf

I used this website to cut into the amp to speaker connections.

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1996-nissan-pathfinder-car-radio-stereo-wiring-diagram/

From crutchfield I bought

1-JVC Arsenal KD-AHD79 ipod controls, indash CD, 4 channel RCA out plus 1 RCA sub out

2-Kicker DS65.2 (need a 1-3/4" hole-saw drill bill for the tweeters. buy the cheapest one you can you're drilling through cardboard)

1-Sound Ordnance™ M-4075 to power the doors. plugs into the head unit with 2 RCA cables

1-Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT sounds like it will fit under the front seat but it wont. its in the back near the power distribution block and other amp

the above was ~$550 a few weeks ago but has since shot up. I'd find something similar from other manufacturers and buy those items

you're gonna need a power distribution block, or, run two power lines to the battery. I bought mine at Fry's for $6. looks a lot like this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30042_db-Link-MANLFB428.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle&rkg_attid=457665771&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=30042

you are also going to need 1 or 2 amp installation kits (one came free with the amp, the other I bought). Or 20" of 4 gauge wire with connectors and an 80amp fuse near the battery, 10' of 8 gauge, power distribution block, 3 RCA cables, 40 feet of 20 gauge for remote turn-on, and a ~40 connectors, 4awg to 16-20awg. and a zillion zip ties.

It sounds great. not a show stopper but I was only looking to upgrade my stuff to acceptable not WestCoastCustoms. I'd bet the install is $500-$1000 though, so this is a $1500-$2000 system (total guess)

hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

MeLoN

• 1 year later...

Or get the Bose wire harness for the after market stereo here ... http://www.crutchfield.com/g_103000/Vehicle-specific-Wiring-Harnesses.html?tp=736

OK I gotta ditch my bose, the cd doesnt work, and these fm modulators are no good, the stock bose is just too low volume!

I have the stereo like this:

bose-nissan-pathfinder-infiniti-i30-radi

All I need is the harness adapter, antenna adapter and the face plate to get me from double to single din?? I've read bose radio swap posts here for an hour and still dont know! :)

LIke others have said, there is a sound quality issue installing an aftermarket headunit (HU) in place of the factory Bose HU. However, the PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the best harness I've found that let's you keep the Bose speakers/amp and keep sound quality fairly good. I've installed one on every Nissan vehicle I've owned (2 Maximas & 1 Pfinder) and I've always kept the Bose speakers/amps, then added an aftermarket sub/amp.

http://www.pac-audio...1&CategoryID=26

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000CE9OY2

http://www.sonicelec...ac=1&zmap=11164

**EDIT #1**

The Sonic Electronics site I referenced lists applications for vehicles up to 2002 and I see you have a 2003. Call PAC AUDIO to verify application.

**EDIT #2**

I double checked the PAC AUDIO (manufacturer) site and it lists Pathfinder applications through 2006.

question! If I am adapting to the low level signal headed to the bose amp(s?)... will the new kenwood stereo I'm about to install actually get any louder, or is it gonna be the same low level that my bose delivers.... real muddy sound. Who would ever expect this crap from someone such as bose, who seem to make pretty good sounding (overpriced) home stereo stuff?

• 4 months later...

Need help!! I have my system wired, because of the Bose system I was told a 3 RCA output deck was required, my budget calls for a 2rca.. Any way I can run my system subs and amps with stock Bose speakers off of 2 rcas. Please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk