Xterra roof rack install on my 91 pathfinder

Mounting to the crossmember does make more sense for support. Not a bad idea to do so. I'd remount it for just that reason. Those Xterra racks & the baskets don't really support too much weight. Wife has a 2000 X.

• 5 weeks later...

I just found the hex shanked rivnuts/nutserts but can't find a tool to make the hex shaped holes, continuing to search...

well found the tool to make a round hole into a hex shaped hole but looks to be an expensive tool and no longer available anyway, going to keep looking for something more reasonable

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I also used construction adhesive to re mount the foot pads to the rack after I had trimmed it, but im sure there is a better way.

Well, I think the best way is simply to cut 2 slots into the roof rack tube and use the factory method of attaching the mounts. The tab with the threaded hole has two different width ends, so the slots are .700 on one side and .865 on the other. The important dimensions are underlined in red, the top cut out doesn't matter from what I can tell. This would be easy to do with a Dremel, die grinder or such, but I plan to use my mill.

Xterramount_zps9c9aa343.jpg

B

• 1 year later...

just wanted to share my story regarding finding a xterra rack. started at my local junkyards. Guy quoted me $450... sure pal. Moved on to some junkyards a couple hours from town. 400 quote, but I was able to get him down to $250.. still seemed steep. Moved to Alberta JY, have family there, $150. Ended up checking out a pick n pull 2 hrs from home. $25.

needless to say, I went and grabbed it. had no issue with removal, drill driver and a 30 mm torx, while I was ther I picked up a console from a 98 for $20.

JGC lift $40 (paid too much im sure)

R50 console $20

xterra rack $25

Have to love the WD21!!

• 1 month later...

FinallyPosted Image

Took about 4.5 inches off the front, used a pipe cutter. Then trimmed about an inch off the cross bars.Dremel to remount the feet.

Jack nuts to mount the feet to the roof.

Works great, can mount the boat up now, no worries, plus great place for the shovel when going out for a ripPosted Image

• Like 1

Man this looks badass! although I have to worry about clearance issues going into parking garages downtown.... right now the FM antenna slaps on everything in sight so I'm unsure this would fit as much as I love the look.

• 7 months later...

I've seen some people use it, some don't. Its just held in place by 1 torx screw. I plan to use it for weight distribution if nothing else. You don't have to be quite as precise about measuring & cutting if you choose not to use it.

Middle mount changed the game... So much easier without it.. I kept the bits, just in case I run into weight issues, but the boat sits up there really nice. Can't imagine needing it.

I reversed the middle mount when I installed the rack on my former 94, that way it wouldn't hang over the edge of the body, bottom pic was during test fit, was sitting on the roof and was before re-painting the rack:

sxdw6u.jpg

o6xipt.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy