VG33E.... '96-2000 Pathfinder or 2000-2004 Xterra/Frontier

slpknot1514

Instead of retro fitting a '96-2000 pathfinder VG33E to have the PS and Alternator on the same side as the VG30E I'm replacing, why not put an engine from a 2000-04 Xterra/Frontier in instead?

Have read sometimes there is a problem with the oil pan not fitting right on the VG33e in the WD21. Can it be replaced with the oil pan from my VG30E?

Are the motor mounts the same? Rockauto has differant parts listed for '96 and up Pathfinders.

Is the ECU from my '95 going to work on the 2004 engine?

For the past 2 months, I've been researching my engine swap. 3.0 is gone. 3.3, as recomended by all y'all, going in as soon as it gets here. I just want to make sure that I get the best/right one. If the ECU works on the xterrra version, wouldn't it make sence to go that route? Can't use the VG30E alternator on the VG33E engine anyway, right?

Anything else you kind folks can think of?

THANX!

I am almost 100% certain that your ecu will work just fine with any vg33 you get as long as you use the sensors that were in your pathfinder originally. IE don't try and wire in the mafs from the vg33 into the ecu for the vg30. I think I read someone tried that and it never ran right if at all. there are sensors that you can swap over just by changing the end on it but I don't know what they all are. Just easier to stick with what you have until you have a reason to change it.

I would recommend you google nissannut and look at his swap. He had lots of pictures on his site with some good explanations of why he did certain things. Then check out what Mr. 510 did on this forum. Then there is another guy who posted a pdf on this forum detailing his swap. He modified his the least out of any that I have seen. I think he made a few custom brackets and dented is oil pan till it cleared. Anyone have a link to that post?

I also used a 97 pathfinder vg33e in my wd21 but I made a custom power steering mount so it fits closer to the motor. The alternator fit with a little shaving of the case. The 93 vg30e ecu runs the 97 pathfinder motor just fine.

The frontier accessories are on the same side as the older WDs. Look what I got.

9db21790.jpg

This should have everything I need to fit a VG33 into my pathfinder with the VG33 crank and the oil filter in the front. All the accessories will have the Vrib belts, but not sure what I will do with the A/C compressor. The compressor mounts different on this motor and the lines are probably different than the lines on the pathfinder.

I think the oil pan would fit too they look the same but I'll just use my oil pan with the oil pickup from this motor.

James

Alright James! I've got mine on the way this week. Should have it by the weekend. Can't wait to see what it really looks like...

Your comment about the A/C concerns me a bit. Can the lines be replaced/retro'd?

Also finding that the exhaust manifolds are slightly differant than the vg30e. Catalytic converter is attached to each manifold, directly. Inverted turbo? Custom exhaust work in the near future I predict. Yesssss.....

Was this mani/cata design used on 96-1999? Some part reseach says that it may have. On one side only maybe? Any educating is appreciated.

Motor mounts!!! I think it makes sence for the 95 vg30e mounts to work on the 02 vg33e. The mount has to match the wd21 engine compartment, and since the engine, 02 vg33e, has the same bottem, it should just drop in. Especially since the transmission is "bolt on". It just "makes sence". Right?!?

Positive notes: thermostat, timing belt tension/pulley, valve cover gascket, lifters, oil pan gasket & pan appear to be interchageable.

Thanx to all for their advise! Looking forward to some more!

For the A/C I'm hoping the lines off the frontier will just hook right up to the pathfinder lines! Yea right not with my luck! If they don't I can cut the ends off and get a local shop to crimp them on the lines from a WD21. I should have grabbed the A/C lines too, I'll have to go back.

From my research all the VG blocks are the same so the WD21 motor mounts will bolt right up. Use the exhaust manifolds from your VG30. Also use the VG30 intake and everything else from on top of your VG30. You may need to use the thermostat housing from the frontier motor because it meets a short steel pipe that bolts to a bracket above the P/S pump idler. The VG30 thermostat housing might not have the right angle to meet this pipe. I plan to use everything on the front of the frontier motor from the timing belt covers out but all the fuel injection from the VG30.

James

Hey James there are splice tubes you can use in different sizes for the A/C hoses, they do hold up pretty good, not sure about Az or oriiley but napa should carry them

When I did the swap I ran into the same problem with the AC, just ended up running without it for now. I do miss it sometimes but I love the rolling down the windows though so it worked out

Running without the A/C is not an option down here for my old ass! 98 degrees with 100% humidity sucks without A/C! I do like cruising with the window down but not in the middle of the summer.

James

• 1 month later...

ok so we can put the engine AND trans from the xterra in our wd21 Pathfinders? i have a 92 and been trying to search up on the subject if any one can point me the right direction it would be appreciated.

The Vg33e engine and auto trans will swap into your pathy. If they used a tx10 transfer case then you are good there too otherwise you must use your old transfer case. P.s. good luck getting motor and trans in together in one piece. I pulled a Vg30e + trans + tcase all in one go before... even with the front of the truck half chopped up it wasn't easy. Doing it separately was much easier when I did it again.

The Vg33e engine and auto trans will swap into your pathy. If they used a tx10 transfer case then you are good there too otherwise you must use your old transfer case. P.s. good luck getting motor and trans in together in one piece. I pulled a Vg30e + trans + tcase all in one go before... even with the front of the truck half chopped up it wasn't easy. Doing it separately was much easier when I did it again.

this is great news. i was thinking i might go aftermarket on the tcase any recommendations or do u usually use the TX10

Keep the Tx10. Unless you're going with crawler gears there's no point in changing it out. They're a good case. The WD22 came with them as well, so if your donor is an Xterra, you're good to go.

• Like 1