CV joint tolerances

theexbrit

So I had a thought about the angles and went and checked the angle when you simply turn your wheel full left and right. Its over 30 easy. So with that in mind even if you have stock angles it goes over 30 anyway. HMMMM

The plot thickens, I did a rough measurement with the wheel jacked of the ground & with the 2" lift I made it about 26 degrees. I'll try to get a more accurate reading, especially as I just ordered the 1" front spacer!! :lmao::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens, I did a rough measurement with the wheel jacked of the ground & with the 2" lift I made it about 26 degrees. I'll try to get a more accurate reading, especially as I just ordered the 1" front spacer!! :lmao::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm interested in your results. After installing the AC 2" lift and running some trails here in TN, I had to replace my passenger front CV axle. I enjoy a bit more of the obstacle crawling over mudding, and learned that I have to really pick good lines and take some rocks slow to reduce topping out the strut. I just got back from a 2 week cross-country trip to Moab & CO trails that really put this to the test. While I didn't damage a CV, I definitely lost some alignment on the way home (not even on a trail!) which caused severe tire wear/damage. I had to buy 2 new tires just to make the rest of the trip home.

So, now I'm thinking that a SFD is in my future. From my conversations with guys who run them, they don't seem to have problems with their CV's as much, or else their just lucky. Anyways, I want to get a bit more clearance to fit 33's as I think that's the perfect balance of off/on road fit.

Let me know your thoughts on how she runs before/after spacers...

Well I guess I should chime in. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts on the subject of max CV angles.

Personally I have not had any negative feedback from any of my customers to date on the spacers. Again I believe the results will vary on a case by case basis.

What I've always found important to remember is that every "field" situation is different. You have a much greater chance of grenading a CV joint when your suspension is fully extended, especially if you hammer the throttle to get yourself out of a trouble spot. Also it should be noted that many people are installing lifts on vehicles with high mileage. It begs the question, what is the condtion of the CV prior to the lift?

I would argue that a spacer will present no greater risk of CV joint failure during normal operation. To further that argument I have had both the 97 and '01 in a similar situation crawling through skidder trails with full extension, and have yet to change the CV on the '01 with 232K kms and the 97 had 331k kms when we sold it with the original CVs. But again, its how you drive I suppose. I'm not a throttle hammering type of driver, even in sticky situations.

Just my $0.02, and as always I appreciate everyones collective experiences and opinions. That what makes forums great.

@Daddy Rim, I agree with what you say regarding the mileage, etc, of cv joints & having a lead foot on the throttle. My cv's are new with less than 1000 miles on them, but I know devonianwalk has had his spacers for a long time & has never had a cv problem. Maybe some of the grenaders" had split a cv boot & got some dirt & @!*%e in there, just a thought.

I'm going to install my spacers this weekend. I have used several different protractors to try to measure the maximum angle with the 2" lift & fully extended it's somewhere between 10-25 degrees :laugh: :laugh: I'll get a definite angle this weekend when the wheel is off. I'm not that worried as I have manual hubs & only engage 4wd on rare occasions, so the cv joints are not really subjected to any punishment. The spacers are well made & look very strong, I'm looking forward to the extra lift on the front. Thanks for making a quality product in this age of endless cheap, Chinese made crap.

• Like 1

Hey DVW, did you have to remove your struts & compress the springs to fit your spacers? Or can you just undo the 3 bolts that mount it to the body, knock them out of the plate & add the spacers & new bolts?

Hey DVW, did you have to remove your struts & compress the springs to fit your spacers? Or can you just undo the 3 bolts that mount it to the body, knock them out of the plate & add the spacers & new bolts?

I went with the larger bolts so, I had to pull my strut assembly apart again. :thumbsdown:

Question: So will a SFD *reduce* the CV angle or *keep* it?

I notice a lot of guys on the forum running the AC 2" and the Krypton 4" SFD...which is where I'm headed. But only if its going to keep or reduce the CV angle. I don't want to take on the challenge if its really going to mess it up in there, but my desire to run 33's is taking on epic proportions!!!

Both the AC lift and the SFD will preserve the same maximum CV angle as stock. The SFD with stock springs will preserve the same operational angles as stock, and the SFD with the AC lift will preserve the same operational angles as an AC lift w/o the SFD.

The only time you will exceed the stock maximum angle is if a strut spacer is installed between the body and the strut, and similar spacers are not also added to the subframe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I guess I should chime in. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts on the subject of max CV angles.

Personally I have not had any negative feedback from any of my customers to date on the spacers. Again I believe the results will vary on a case by case basis.

What I've always found important to remember is that every "field" situation is different. You have a much greater chance of grenading a CV joint when your suspension is fully extended, especially if you hammer the throttle to get yourself out of a trouble spot. Also it should be noted that many people are installing lifts on vehicles with high mileage. It begs the question, what is the condtion of the CV prior to the lift?

I would argue that a spacer will present no greater risk of CV joint failure during normal operation. To further that argument I have had both the 97 and '01 in a similar situation crawling through skidder trails with full extension, and have yet to change the CV on the '01 with 232K kms and the 97 had 331k kms when we sold it with the original CVs. But again, its how you drive I suppose. I'm not a throttle hammering type of driver, even in sticky situations.

Just my $0.02, and as always I appreciate everyones collective experiences and opinions. That what makes forums great.

I was looking at the strut spacers at NX4 Industries, and I am interested in getting some. I have 2 brand new CV Axles in a box in the shop anyway. The CV Axles on my truck now have been through quite a bit, and the boots are all torn, so I imagine I will be replacing them soon.

So I see 2 different types of strut spacers, a top mount, and a middle mount.

I know about the top mounts and how they work, but what is a middle mount, and is there any advantage to it over a top mount, as it is a bit more expensive.

Thanks...

According to NX industries website, the middle mount compresses the spring & works best with OEM springs that need a little boost. The top spring is the one you want if you have a lift, this moves the whole strut down an inch thus giving the body an inch of lift.

According to NX industries website, the middle mount compresses the spring & works best with OEM springs that need a little boost. The top spring is the one you want if you have a lift, this moves the whole strut down an inch thus giving the body an inch of lift.

Ahh, so a middle mount is just a spring spacer. Basically making the spring stiffer. Ok, got it. Thanks.