Dual Exhaust?

MahPathy

Hey Guys!

My birthday is coming up in a little over 2 weeks, and I was wanting to get a dual exhaust system running on my pathy as a present to myself! Now, before posting this I did read a little into dual exhaust and just exhaust in general on this website! I'm not going to lie though.. I did get a bit confused! Haha.. But my dad is running dual flowmaster exhaust on his 05 Ram 1500 and he said it shouldn't be to hard to hook the actual dual exhaust up, but he didn't know if it was something I would want sense my pathfinder is a v6..

So, with that being said I am coming here to you guys to show you a set of dual exhaust (I haven't showed my dad yet cause he is in Tennessee right now but I'm about to send him a picture of it!) that I found on jcwhitney and I was just wondering if you guys could tell me how hard it would be to set this kind of exhaust up! It is a intersting kind of exhaust, to say the least.

Link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plated-dual-side-pipes/p2006246.jcwx?filterid=c10826u0j1

I saw this on one of the threads I was reading but just happened to come across it when I put '97 pathfinder in jcwhitney as my vehicle.. Can't wait to hear your guy's responces!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't go true dual on this engine, all the torque will just go away and you will be left with noise. You can go with an X-pipe or a dual outlet muffler though.

Your power is going to suck, and it's a royal pain to get dual exhaust properly set up on one of these. You've got to cut and modify the transmission cross member and move some stuff around to make it all work. Not worth it the slightest bit when you'll make better power with a single larger pipe and you don't have to hack the underside of the truck up. A 5.7L Hemi with dual exhaust is a lot different than a little gutless 3.0L with dual exhaust.

x923 on sticking with the single exhaust running roughly in the stock place. 2.25-2.5" pipe is the most you need anyway. As was said, you have a 3 liter v6 with a max intake of less than 300 cfm and that's not a lot... ;)

Better spend the $ on headers, intake, lift or tires. :aok:

B

Actually he has a 3.3 liter v6 because it says 1997 in the profile... Either way, a single pipe has the most power and the best sound on these engines. I think R50s do something weird and don't actually use a Y-pipe. You can use a muffler with dual output though for less back pressure (if you can route the pipes properly).

IIRC somebody on here got their truck with dual exhaust, went back to single, and gained a little horsepower back. The problem is scavenging; each burst of exhaust helps a little to suck the last of the burst before it out of the cylinder. When you split the exhaust, the effect is diminished.

Actually he has a 3.3 liter v6 because it says 1997 in the profile... Either way, a single pipe has the most power and the best sound on these engines. I think R50s do something weird and don't actually use a Y-pipe. You can use a muffler with dual output though for less back pressure (if you can route the pipes properly).

Good point, I missed that. I'd still run the same diameter though...

Yes, the VG33 R50 runs dual into the cats (one for each side) down to the muffler (2 in 1 out) into single exhaust tip. Muffler back system might do some good... :shrug:

B

• 3 weeks later...

And, this is exactly why I posted here! I was afraid something like this would be said, but rather to be told then to waste money on something that would sound stupid/ve worthless! Thanks guys!

Spend your money on building either a 2.25" or a 2.50" single exhaust system instead. The size depends on the design of the headers. I would recommend a 2.50" sized pipe for the n/a 3.3

We had a local member invest a great deal of money on headers and a true dual exhaust system for the 3.3. It sounded like a rabid popcorn machine and performed very poorly, and this was with a tune. On the plus side, with cold weather it looked like it was blowing smoke rings. There was no exhaust scavenging with this setup.

proper sized dual pipes for your tuck would be about 1.5" (too keep your gas velocity up and not loose any scavenging)

IMO true dual belongs on v8, v10, v12... where there are enough exhaust pulses from each bank to give a good scavenging pull.

• 4 weeks later...

I went with 2.25 and noticed a huge gain... No I was not burning rubber at every stop light, but I could tell a big difference in throttle response.

Of course the theory of modding the exhaust needs to be matched with modding the intake...