• Elbe
    • Evans Creek(#2 was held here)
    • Liberty
    • Manastash(#3 was here)
    • Tahuya(#1 was held here)
    • Tillimook
    • Walker Valley
    • Other

Ok, its that time again. I posted general information about the MrJim run #4 in the Trail run/Event Section, see here..

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32117&st=0&gopid=618000entry618000

Now we need a location. If you would like me to add a location, please ask before you vote. I want to run the voting for the entire month of April. Please, only Northwest members vote!! If you have any specific experience with any of these locations or others that are not listed, please post up what you know. Having a campground to meet at was nice at Evans, so maybe we keep something like that in mind.

If anyone has any other questions or comments, please post away!!! Lets get our rigs out there and enjoy

I will have a Moderator lock the voting on April 30th!

Pleae read below before voting!!!!!

If you have any trail/camping experience at any of these locations, please state what you know!!

Also, if you are interested in being the trailer leader, speak up or you may be volentold!

Please keep the chit-chat to a minimum.

**Please only Northwest members vote!**

I would like to make a full board announcement by May 1st.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I voted for Evans Creek as there are trails for everyone. Elbe would be my second vote, but I'm pretty sure the campground needs to be reserved. If we end up at Elbe for a weekend, we could run all the trails multiple times! Day and night, and that would be fun.

I'm kinda torn between Evans and Elbe. I love Evans, it's my favorite place to wheel and I've camped there many times and like it very much. At Evans you cannot run every major trail in a day unless you're in a small group and know every obstacle like Dennis and I do. And then it's a looong day. There's more miles of trails suitable for stock to mild Pathies at Evans than anywhere else this side of the Cascades. It's also closer to Pugetropolis so more people might show up. We can't reserve a spot at the campground here, it's first-come first-served. If we hold it at Evans and some people camp we could also run the Surprise Lake Trail which is the prettiest spot I've ever driven a truck to. This trail only requires 4wd in a couple of spots but it's a fun place to go and a pic of your Pathy on the beach right next to the mirror-smooth water with Mt.Rainier's reflection is pretty damned cool. You have to have a NW Forest Pass for Evans, and a Discover Pass for Surprise Lake.

Elbe has super easy access to/from all the trails since they are loops. This is great if something breaks or if there's an obstacle someone just can't get past without massive damage. It also has the Busywild and Swamp trails that we don't normally attempt as they are really nasty... but my truck's mods are creeping it ever closer to running those trails, or at least trying them. You can fairly easily run all the trails we normally do here in a day, even with a large group so we'd probably be re-running them if people stay multiple days. I don't mind this, it's all wheeling and it's all fun! Running them reversed at night pretty much makes them different trails. The fact that the campground here has to be reserved is a good thing IMHO, as you cannot reserve spaces at Evans so I went down a couple days early to save us the best spot for MrJim2. There was no guarantee we'd have a spot there at all. You need a Discover Pass for Elbe.

I think Evans or Elbe are the best two choices as the highest concentration of wheeling members are centered around the Seattle area, and stretching to the South. At Manastash last year there were only three trucks. :( I can see the same thing happening with Walker and everywhere else, that's why I ruled them out.

Wherever we go I'm going to camp and I don't mind getting there a day or even two early if I need to for the benefit of the group. I hope lots of people go, and this is the biggest factor to be considered in where we hold the run, IMHO. I'm going to suggest that if we have a dozen trucks or more like we did for MrJim2 that we split into two or three groups and run different trails simultaneously. More than six trucks on a singe trail can really suck as you spend lots of time sitting in line waiting to attempt an obstacle and you don't really get to see much. There never seems to be enough room for all the trucks after an obstacle so the guys in the back end up just 'wheeling through' to keep up and don't really get to see most of the action. In groups of four to six trucks you're pretty much always right in the middle of the action and this is a lot more fun. If we all take our cameras and shoot lots of video nobody is really going to 'miss' anything. I will volunteer to lead a group or whatever, I know all these trails very well.

At the moment I'm leaning toward Elbe primarily because we can reserve the campground. I also think it will be easy to get people to come since a group of us were just there and there's tons of great pics and some really good video that's going to be posted soon.

Thanks for the input guys. I dont think either place is easy to get to, but niether is hard to find. I think Elbe is a bit easier as its a pretty straight shot to the wheeling area and campground. I found it much eaiser than Evans anyway. Dont get me wrong, I LIKED EVANS! That was a lot of fun. Im pushing to have the Jim run at a location it has not been done before. Heck, I would like to wheel in Tillamook cause I have heard its awesome and would be a eaiser trip for guys in oregon/s. wa. Maybe not this time, but in the future anyway. Just trying to keep it interesting. I will probably vote for Elbe as well, I will just wait to see what other kind of input we get from other members here in the NW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been on a run with this group. Looks like the event hasn't been held in liberty. I would be happy to lead parts of the ride. Billy goat gulch has gotten surprisingly difficult and guard station is always fun. I know of a great camp spot about 300yds from the guard station trail head that can accommodate quite a few trucks. -Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, with only 7 votes, I guess its going to be Evans again! I usually let Jim make the final decision, so I will PM him and ask if thats what he wants. I will only give him till the end of the week to "override" everyones votes! :lmao:

Hi Everyone!

I voted for Evans Creek! That place was pretty great, although many of us got some body damage there. Not me. :) Still, its a run that you have to be careful on for sure.

Mr510 is finishing up on my Pathfinder and I hope to have it on the trails for this year's run. It may not have the front SAS done though. :(

I would just be happy to see it with the new Infinity engine purring again. Its been a long time coming, but we have had a pretty nasty winter here. The sun is out now and hopefully we will get it wrapped up soon.

MrJim

• 4 months later...