need some advice for a new truck

esy

hello, all. so i'm somewhat in the market for a new truck. probably going to go lightly used ('08+) with low miles (planning on staying under the 40k, for sure). i don't think i'll be ready to buy quite yet unless i simply can't pass up a crazy deal, so maybe by the end of the year or next?

anyway, i'm heavily leaning towards a full-size truck. many of the newer full-size trucks get very similar MPGs as many of us already do, so i won't be losing much there, and i'd like to get a full-size because of the larger bed than mid-size trucks. if i were to go with a mid-size truck, i think i'm pretty set on getting a Fronty.

anyway, i think my budget would be right around the $25-$26k range. that way, i can put $5k down and i can have a note under $400/month on a 60-mo loan.

my requirements are a crew cab, 4x4, and a front bench seat (meaning i can seat 3 adults in the front). the only reason that i don't have power everything as a requirement is because i've found that full-size, crew cab trucks typically come standard with that. anyway, enough rambling, onto the advice. here are the three trucks that i'm currently eyeing/interested in:

'08+ Titan (of course!)

'09+ Ram 1500

'08+ Silverado/Sierra 1500

i'm obviously a huge Nissan head. every vehicle that i've ever owned has been a Nissan (240SX FB, a couple of old school Z cars, two Z32s, an Infinti G20t, a WD21, and my current R50). however, from what i've researched at clubtitan.org and titantalk.org, it would appear that the Titans have a pretty high propensity for rear diff failures. many of the owners had them fail during the powertrain warranty and they were replaced or what not, but it wasn't until Nissan really began placing brand new part #'s/different diffs that those original diffs stopped coming in. many of those people haven't noticed anything yet, but you never really know. at the same time, i've only noticed that with the '04-'07 Titans, not the '08+. so, i'm not certain if that problem has been fixed on the newer models or not. there were also many instances of it happening with the front diffs as well (more common in the trucks that had any kind of a lift, be it a mini-lift or a Fabtech 6" lift). it sounded like the clips would pop off and the axle would obviously move quite a bit and would ultimately cause some severe damage to the front diffs. again, Nissan was covering those, but not sure if it was only specific to the '04-'07 model years.

the '09+ Rams have been a pretty nice truck with the remodel. my oldest bro has a '10 Ram 1500 2WD and it's a nice ride. the cab is enormous (slightly larger than the Titans, i believe), obviously comes with gobs of power with the Hemi, and the new remodels look pretty clean. my main issue with the Rams is mostly from a build standpoint/quality. i've felt that ever since Dodge started revamping and releasing new vehicles back in '04 (with the Magnum, Chargers, etc.), i've felt that the quality has lacked. the doors sound and feel very hollow, build quality doesn't appear to be top, etc. my brother loves his truck and says he'd buy it all over again, but i'm not sure if i'm just looking into it too much or if it's justified. also, if i were able to find one of the Rams with the Rambox option, those are pretty badass. really cool option and wouldn't mind having that if i could track one down.

the '08+ Silverado/Sierra are also a really nice truck. although the electronics, interior styling, etc. are pretty dated, i still love GMs. growing up, i've always felt that GMs made a far superior vehicle in the domestic market than any others. anyway, i like the design of these newer modeled Silverados/Sierras, they have good power (depending which engine it comes equipped with) and also have a lot of the GM reliability that i've been so accustomed to seeing for a larger part of my life.

the advice i'm wanting is what does everyone think of these three? any input would be greatly appreciated, especially if any of you own, have owned, regularly use, etc. any of these trucks. i'd appreciate it if we could just stick to these three options, however, as i'm not at all interested in getting a Ford nor am i very interested in getting a Toyota.

i apologize for the novel, but this would obviously be the largest purchase of my life thus far and want to make sure i make the right, informed decision. again any input, advice, and experience will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Edited by esy

I guess i should've made this into a poll. Is there a way to edit this into one now? I'm on my phone and not sure if i can do it.

Nissan, we had a titan, wish we still had it

What year did you have? How many miles did you put on it? Did you experience any of the same rear and front diff issues as to what i was talking about? That's my main concern when i was researching those trucks. I'd be pretty pissed if the truck only got some 70-80k and the diffs started to explode on me. Granted i don't do a whole lot of towing, hauling, or offroading, but i jus want to be certain.

I really only do camping, hit the snow a lot, and will haul little stuff here and there.

Ford f150, the ford 6.2 will rock your world compaired to the chevy 6.2. Oh wait you said you dont want a Ford, oh well lets look at your choices.

Dont believe the hype on the ram, there 4x4 models get around 14mpg with the hemi. But they do look nice with the restyle. You are correct on them feeling cheaply made and the 1/2 tons are not at all related to there big brother 3/4 and 1 tons. They ride real nice but that goes to the coil springs in the rear compaired to the OG Leafs that other models have.

the 08+ chevys are prety much the same truck as the 06.5s, the intior in much more refined though plus the engines make more power then the old 6.0s. That is unless your looking at a 5.3 which is just the same old engine that came out in 99. But I would watch for fleet trucks and reliable isnt in the new era gm trucks. There city boy trucks to the core.

The titan, well you get what you pay for, but they do have a habit of bending in the middle if you haul heavy stuff with them. Everyone that I have looked at or driven has been a disapointment to me compaired to the rigs of the big three. There 5.6s go good but I suspect its more transmission gearing then anything. Plus those nissans have a light duty rear end, a dana 44 if I'm not mistaken, that is the cause of the rear diff problems. I feel that there axle gearing choice on most of these trucks is really piss poor too. They use a 2.67 (or so) final drive when others use a 3.55+ gearing.

In the end it comes down to what you didnt say in your post, what type of use are you looking too get out of the truck. Are you a hunter who needs 4x4, or are you a city boy who wants a 4x2 on 24s? Are you looking to tow a camper, or trailer every week end or are you buying a truck just to go to home depot?

Best of luck in your hunt and feel free to contact me with any Q's on this topic.

Ford f150, the ford 6.2 will rock your world compaired to the chevy 6.2. Oh wait you said you dont want a Ford, oh well lets look at your choices.

Dont believe the hype on the ram, there 4x4 models get around 14mpg with the hemi. But they do look nice with the restyle. You are correct on them feeling cheaply made and the 1/2 tons are not at all related to there big brother 3/4 and 1 tons. They ride real nice but that goes to the coil springs in the rear compaired to the OG Leafs that other models have.

the 08+ chevys are prety much the same truck as the 06.5s, the intior in much more refined though plus the engines make more power then the old 6.0s. That is unless your looking at a 5.3 which is just the same old engine that came out in 99. But I would watch for fleet trucks and reliable isnt in the new era gm trucks. There city boy trucks to the core.

The titan, well you get what you pay for, but they do have a habit of bending in the middle if you haul heavy stuff with them. Everyone that I have looked at or driven has been a disapointment to me compaired to the rigs of the big three. There 5.6s go good but I suspect its more transmission gearing then anything. Plus those nissans have a light duty rear end, a dana 44 if I'm not mistaken, that is the cause of the rear diff problems. I feel that there axle gearing choice on most of these trucks is really piss poor too. They use a 2.67 (or so) final drive when others use a 3.55+ gearing.

In the end it comes down to what you didnt say in your post, what type of use are you looking too get out of the truck. Are you a hunter who needs 4x4, or are you a city boy who wants a 4x2 on 24s? Are you looking to tow a camper, or trailer every week end or are you buying a truck just to go to home depot?

Best of luck in your hunt and feel free to contact me with any Q's on this topic.

Thanks for that! That was pretty helpful so far.

You know, i eyed the f150s for a little bit, but i'm just not a fan of ford at all. Call it a big time "prejudice" against them, but just no really into them.

I doubt i'll even be getting any of the 6L V8s. Most of the Chevys in my price range are typically the 4.8L FFVs. I think they're 4.8s, anyway. Power wise, they're not far off from the Titans and defintely weaker than the Hemis. However, power isn't a major thing for me. As long as it's got at leas 300hp and even more torque, i'll be happy.

Although my brother's Ram is a 2wd, he averages about 18ish with about a 70/30 highway/city split of driving. I'd expect somewhere around at least 15, which would only be a couple miles less than my Pathy right now with the manual hubs.

And my driving isn't too wild. My truck will be used the way it should be used, although not as aggressively as others probably would. Like i said in my previous post, i do camping (would definitely like to get the bed tent and camp in the bed), will haul stuff from time to time (max would maybe be 1000lbs, possibly 2000lbs), go to the snow very often (this past season sucked though), and maybe some mild offroading here and there.

It'll essentially be a grocery getter with the ability to handle any offroad stuff. I'm opting out of an SUV because i want that open bed to load whatever i want in the back. I also want the front bench because i want to be able to utilize as much space in the cab as i can instead of getting captain's seats.

OK here is my opinion. I have owned about 40 cars and trucks in last 20 years and have four brothers that have owned everything I have not. My favorite truck was 02 7.3 diesel 6 speed. I got 18mpg and would pull anything. Also with programmer 2nd fastest truck (I road race, that is important) HAha. I got rid of 2008 GMC denali crew cab PU recently. It was a great truck 6.2 6 speed. I averaged 16 mpg all around .I get rid of them at 60k. I would definately buy another. I do not believe you can buy one with a front bench,but I may be wrong.I like all the chevy engines. I don't think they make a bad one. My brother has 2009 dodge 4x4 it is his 3rd one, claims that is the only truck he will buy.(gets a new one every 60k) If you tow I will always pick ford or dodge. They just seem to handle the weight better. I am not brand loyal to any ( my family gets discount's on GMC products). Go drive them each and see what you like. My wife has a 02 yukon xl that she won't let me get rid of because she like's it so much and it has 160k trouble feel miles on it.

I don't know if that babbling help's at all. Good luck :)

Ours was a 2005 2wd king cab, we bought it used from the dealer, traded in the Infiniti Q45 we had towards it. Can't recall the mileage, only problem I had was the AC drain and I did a mod I found online and never had another problem with it.

Out of those choices, the Silverado/Sierra 1500 gets my vote. I would say Titan but other than its awesome engine it has nothing else to go for it.

any particular reason? is it safe to assume that you would also go with an F150 like nismothunder?

OK here is my opinion. I have owned about 40 cars and trucks in last 20 years and have four brothers that have owned everything I have not. My favorite truck was 02 7.3 diesel 6 speed. I got 18mpg and would pull anything. Also with programmer 2nd fastest truck (I road race, that is important) HAha. I got rid of 2008 GMC denali crew cab PU recently. It was a great truck 6.2 6 speed. I averaged 16 mpg all around .I get rid of them at 60k. I would definately buy another. I do not believe you can buy one with a front bench,but I may be wrong.I like all the chevy engines. I don't think they make a bad one. My brother has 2009 dodge 4x4 it is his 3rd one, claims that is the only truck he will buy.(gets a new one every 60k) If you tow I will always pick ford or dodge. They just seem to handle the weight better. I am not brand loyal to any ( my family gets discount's on GMC products). Go drive them each and see what you like. My wife has a 02 yukon xl that she won't let me get rid of because she like's it so much and it has 160k trouble feel miles on it.

I don't know if that babbling help's at all. Good luck :)

good to know! however, your brother getting a new Ram every 60k is a bit odd. is that just because he gets tired of them or something else? i'm trying to keep this for the long haul and don't want to have to swap out trucks every 60k, haha.

i'd LOVE to have a diesel, but i simply don't need a 2500/3500. the full-size trucks are big enough as it is, and i don't need one any bigger.

the only truck i haven't driven is the Chevy. i haven't driven a Titan, specifically, but one of my brothers used to have an Armada which is essentially the same truck. both the Ram and the "Titan" drive really nice. although the Ram has the coils in the rear, i feel it still drives very "boaty", like the Chevy, Fords, etc with leaf springs. the only times i've ever driven any other truck is when i'm working on them in the Tire Center. the Titan/Armada feels a lot tighter, IMO, but a lot of the body roll in the other two trucks can be remedied by stiffening up the suspension a bit with different shocks, sway bars, etc., etc.

For a pick up I'd vote Chevy.

any particular reason why?

thinking about my situation more and more, i'm feeling that i'm straying away from the Ram. mostly because i don't know if i can get over my annoyance, if you will, of Dodge's build quality and how cheap it feels. they're nice trucks, don't get me wrong, but i'm just not feeling how hollow the trucks feel. anyway, any more input would be great! although i said that i don't want to buy a Ford or am not considering a Toyota, my ears are still open since it seems like a few of you are thinking of others.

I have an 06 titan crew 2wd. The only problem I had was the radiator cracking at 40k. Obviously a defect but nissan wouldn't admit it. I've read about the differential failures too but haven't seen one locally from any of the people I know with titans. On clubtitan may peoples truck had no gear oil in the rear when the got it so that may be the cause of a lot of failures. Plus some came with the axle vent plugged off causing lots of problems.

I'm at 70k right now and just bought a 8000 pound camper so I guess I'll see how that little dana44 holds up. The titans came with a bench seat with a fold down console but they wern't as common as the buckets unless you get an XE.

My god child just got an 08 ram with a hemi and it does ride better than my titan but I have stiffer sway bars on the titan. We didn't run them but after driving the ram I'm pretty sure the titan would show him the tail gate. I've passed several pissed off hemi owners before with the titan but none of the newer ones. I'm calming down in my old age!

I agree with nismothunder about the gearing, it should be a lot lower for towing when you add in the size of the factory tires. Then maybe it wouldn't get 8 mpg towing a camper. The titans suck for fuel economy all around. Most people I talk to average 12 with mixed driving.

James

any particular reason? is it safe to assume that you would also go with an F150 like nismothunder?

good to know! however, your brother getting a new Ram every 60k is a bit odd. is that just because he gets tired of them or something else? i'm trying to keep this for the long haul and don't want to have to swap out trucks every 60k, haha.

i'd LOVE to have a diesel, but i simply don't need a 2500/3500. the full-size trucks are big enough as it is, and i don't need one any bigger.

the only truck i haven't driven is the Chevy. i haven't driven a Titan, specifically, but one of my brothers used to have an Armada which is essentially the same truck. both the Ram and the "Titan" drive really nice. although the Ram has the coils in the rear, i feel it still drives very "boaty", like the Chevy, Fords, etc with leaf springs. the only times i've ever driven any other truck is when i'm working on them in the Tire Center. the Titan/Armada feels a lot tighter, IMO, but a lot of the body roll in the other two trucks can be remedied by stiffening up the suspension a bit with different shocks, sway bars, etc., etc.

thinking about my situation more and more, i'm feeling that i'm straying away from the Ram. mostly because i don't know if i can get over my annoyance, if you will, of Dodge's build quality and how cheap it feels. they're nice trucks, don't get me wrong, but i'm just not feeling how hollow the trucks feel. anyway, any more input would be great! although i said that i don't want to buy a Ford or am not considering a Toyota, my ears are still open since it seems like a few of you are thinking of others.

I've been happy with past Chev pick ups I've had and used. My main reason for saying Chevy though is my drive to work...in my area 90% of work and company trucks are Chev. Some Dodges and the odd Ford. My vote is what the people in my area have voted for with what the overwelming majority buy. I need something enclosed for my work or I'd probably still have a pick up. I can't leave anything unlocked in town or I have to go to the pawn shop to buy it back, if I turn my back on the thieves for 1 second.

He get's a truck and fuel allowance . Otherwise he would keep them longer. He doesn't loose anything and get's a new truck every two years . Rough I know.

@kdj, i can respect that. i also see a lot of domestic trucks everywhere, but many of the trucks that i see, in general, are too prissy to be on the road. don't get me wrong, i'm no hardcore offroader or what have you, but my trucks (my R50 included) are trucks. they're meant to be beat up, driven fairly hard, and handle anything being thrown its way. pretty much any and all fleet/work trucks that i see around are Chevy/Ford and i would assume that there's a reason why they are so popular for work trucks or what have you.

@heloflyboy, yeah, i'd probably get a new truck every few years too. must be nice! hahah.

@jamesrich, i've found a pretty good number of bench seat Titans. they seem to be more common in the newer models than the older models. again, i'm pretty happy with a relatively basic truck, don't need a lot of the fancy frills like back up cameras/sensors, leather, heated/power seats, etc. good to hear that your rear diff is still doing well. the consensus that i got from titantalk.org and clubtitan.org are that the Titans are simply Frontiers with a V8. that lightweight Dana was a pretty horrible choice for those trucks.

any other advice from anyone?

i'm pretty disappointed. so after looking around some more, i've discovered that Nissan hasn't stopped using the Dana 44 rear ends on the newer truck models. although i'm not a big hauler, tower, or what not, but that's still not very reassuring. as much as i love Nissan, that's extremely disheartening that they haven't taken care of that issue!

looks like i'm either narrowing my options or having to open my options up to others.

@kdj, i've been eyeing the Chevy. like i said in my original post, i've always been pretty pleased with GM vehicles. my dad had an '86 Chevrolet Celebrity wagon when we were growing up. that thing was a tank! it ran very well up until my dad allowed some of his mechanic friends that weren't familiar with the vehicle work on it.

however, i will say this much, i've been opening my options a bit more and the '11 F150s look very enticing! i would've never thought that i'd be considering buying a Ford in my life, but here i am! i was just entertaining the idea, however, i noticed that the middle seat in the front bench had a 3-point seat belt! that's not very common in front bench seats and as little as that may seem to a lot of people, it really piqued my interest!

i've been looking into them more and more and it would almost seem that many of the options that the F150s have fit what i'm looking for. i just need to go and take one on a test drive and see if it really fits what i'm looking for.